The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Many still do! :wideyed:

Bleecker likes this.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    yes ... there are flat earthers all ... around .... the ... globe :roflmao::thumbsup:;):laugh::D

but just 400 years ago the flat earth concept was mainstream science.

I wonder what people 400 years from now will think?

gg22, Nuage420 and B-Mac like this.
  3. Black_In_Mind

Black_In_Mind

Dec 26, 2018
    Haven't looked at my last post on this thread since I made it and boy does it feel like that was ages ago even though it's only been a little more than a year. So much has changed since then with the only remaining bass from that post being my Schecter bass.

Almost feels appropriate to do an update.

DSCN4311 (2).JPG

My basses are now down to my modified Schecter J-4, Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Special bass, and Peavey T-40.

4. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    OMG that black T-40 is sexy as heck!

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I don't know what kind of music you play, but that is the most punk photo ever.

6. evilfirbolg

evilfirbolg

Oct 7, 2021

I play loud music. That's pretty much the best way to explain it. I'm a total jazz head punk helbilly that blends Ornette Coleman sensibilities with Bad Seed and Hanatarash noise and Johnny Cash heart couched in a bit of dark metal and John Cage but with Elvis Costello pop and James Brown soul. But pretty much it's just loud. Even my quiet pretty songs are still kinda painful and loud in their own way.

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    ...and now the picture has a caption to match. Love it!

Bleecker and MovinTarget like this.
  8. Sorta look like little Tommy Stinson in that pic. That's a good thing btw.

MovinTarget likes this.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA

10. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Hi, here's a photo of my four cheap basses. L-R: Tokai Hardpuncher ltd., Spector Rebop 5, Harley Benton HBZ 2005 Deluxe, Blade B3 rescued bass.

I just recently bought the Spector and am liking it so far. The Harley Benton will be sold soon as I don't need two 5 stringers, but it's a good bass for the money.

The Blade was accidentally broken to pieces many years ago but my father glued it together again and painted it. I lost the original pickups and electronics so it is now passive with Dimarzio pickups and an old unknown bridge.

z

IMG_4018.JPEG
    IMG_4019.JPEG

11. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016

Swap out those HZs for some active EMGs and that will change that Rebop exponentially. Great bass.

12. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Thank you for the advice, I will keep it in mind

MovinTarget and Reedt2000 like this.
  13. Greg Jones

Greg Jones Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    IMG_1239 (2).jpg

TK4261, PizzaFiend, StevieMac and 6 others like this.
  14. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016

I used to play a LTD loaded with the HZs. Played great but was always lacking. Hated those pick ups.
    Many many high end basses later(including a couple nice spectors and the 45Dc EMGs are darn near my fav pick ups.
    HUGE difference

15. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    From a Sunday morning practice a couple weekends ago. The sun was warm, and the couch comfortable.
    20210926_094554_HDR.jpg

TK4261, Zagnuts, PizzaFiend and 6 others like this.
  16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I second this advice. I've found the Hz pickups to be bland and unremarkable (IMHO). They are standard size though so replacement options are plentiful.

17. Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Digging that T-40! My VERY first bass was a T-20. Wish I still had that one. I actually 'road wore' that one myself. Finish on the upper bout where my plucking arm rested, completely gone ... finish on the back of the neck, mostly gone!

MovinTarget likes this.
  18. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    OK, here's my Ibby GSR100EX. I added that long thumb rest to it myself which makes it even more of a pleasure to play, and I enjoy fantasizing that it also maybe gives the 100EX some snooty hi-class style..? GSR100-mine-w_thumbrest.JPG :cool:
    T'was under $200 when purchased new, has passive single V and T controls, and is under 7lbs (6.9), with one MM style pup. With the LaBella white tape-wounds I use on it I would say the sound is perhaps midway between a MM and a P.. :thumbsup:
    As Ibanez's cheapest 'starter' bass IMO it's a beautiful sleeper and one of my much liked 'cheapo bass' treasures! Some day I'll probably replace it's so-so tuners with Hipshots and improve it even more! :D
    And yes, that is a newer Mustang peeking behind it. One of the Squier CV60's models, and it too is a lightweight joy to play. (And this one does have Hipshot Ultralights on it...) -Also I started taking BG lessons again, this time from a friend musician, and she's turned out to be an excellent teacher! -So enough with all this doodling, I say!! Let's us get some theory and structure behind it! :sour: (-Well, me anyway...) o_O

19. Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Ah, these two look SO good together!

IMG_1273 (2).jpg

Attached Files:

20. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    20211014_184341.jpg
    Bass number 7 arrived earlier this week, 2016 Yamaha BB424X.
    Added a Hipshot string retainer and Yamaha knobs.
    Will be replacing the bridge when I find the right string through one and the jack as the current on is bad.

osv, BigBottom61, PizzaFiend and 10 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021