1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

THE Pedals for the SVT Sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by _HunterB_, Oct 17, 2020.

1. _HunterB_

_HunterB_

Jun 18, 2018
    Anyone who has tried to get the SVT sound with a pedal is probably familiar with the VT Bass pedal from sansamp. In my dealings with it, it gets pretty close to the real deal. However, the incorrect EQ frequencies, very vanilla speaker simulation, and harsh bite switch make it fall just short of “holy sh*t!” levels of excellence for my very picky ears. Enter the Two Notes Torpedo Cab M. For the unacquainted, it’s a cab sim/IR loader with power amp simulation. On its own, it gets a convincing tube amp sound. You can select KT88 tubes which are very close to and arguably better than the 6550s used in SVTs. You can “push the tubes” to get a little grit, and coupled with the 410 SVT cab IR, you’d have a hard time discerning that it’s a digital setup. However, coupled with the VT Bass DI, you essentially have an Ampeg at your feet. Turning the bite and speaker sim switches off on the VT gives you a near perfect SVT overdrive and character when run into the 410 IR, and creating a custom eq on the Cab M using the frequencies found on svt front panels lets you to further refine the sound and allows for better tweakability than the VT DI does. You can even replicate the effect of the Ultra Hi and Ultra Lo buttons. I leave the power amp sim off when using the VT, so you can certainly achieve this sound with another cab sim and separate programmable eq. This is by no means a corporate or paid endorsement of these companies, I just like that the torpedo has everything built in. Hopefully this has been helpful to those who are on a quest to get that classic grunty sound! I’ll continue to experiment and drop any findings in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    I'd think that there isn't anything particularly special about the Torpedo, but it's one viable option for this purpose.

I agree that my VT DI wants to be matched with a more capable EQ and cabsim. I went for the Omnicabsim macro and Source Audio EQ2.

_HunterB_ likes this.
  3. _HunterB_

_HunterB_

Jun 18, 2018
    There is definitely wiggle room. I like the torpedo because you can load third party IRs and it has an eq section built in, but if it sounds good it is good.

4. Zymba

Zymba Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Have you played through it? I couldn't disagree more. It's the single most impressive sounding cabsim (with additional pre/power amp sim, extensive EQ, compression, many mic and mic placement options, 3rd party IR capable and ability to run 2 different cabs simultaneously) pedal I've used.

I can imagine that even the v.1 VT Bass pedal would sound amazing through the Cab M. @_HunterB_ have you tried any of the 810 sims from Two Notes yet? There are some free options available too. I really liked the free bass pack from Shiftline, which includes an 810.

Zon master and _HunterB_ like this.
  5. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I just use my Master Effects Super 300 and eliminate the middleman.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I don’t think the VT bass sounds anything like an SVT and definitely nothing like a “cranked SVT”.

bassboysam, NKBassman and SunnBass like this.
  7. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    This is it in a nutshell.

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I know I'm not the most discerning customer, but I was happy enough with the Catalinbread SFT into my Quilter BB800. It got close enough for the girls I date.

9. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction.

Broughton SV-Pre.

labeledbass, Lowbrow, Zbysek and 11 others like this.
  10. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    I didn't A/B but I did mess with it, and I don't disagree that it's an impressive piece of gear. I just prefer something with more transparent EQ settings as opposed to working with abstractions like mic positions and IRs emulating specific hardware. I'm not wedded to the Omnicabsim either, any similar device works. To my ears all of these options sounded excellent at different times, but again, I've never A/B'd.

_HunterB_ and Andy V. like this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I find it is largely about the cab. A big sealed cab and a little OD from an amp gets you darn close without screwing around with pedals that don't really get you there anyway.

bassboysam and _HunterB_ like this.
  12. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    This.

13. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Yup. Sansamp stuff doesn’t sound anything like a real SVT in my experience, but the Broughton gets pretty darn close.

Still waiting for that lunchbox size SVT preamp...

Zbysek, gh0st42 and Lowendtech like this.
  14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    IME absolutely nails the preamp drive, character, and EQ.

Does not deliver the power amp heft.

Would be curious to pair it with the poweramp sim mentioned in this thread.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    To me (having owned several of them) a big part if the SVT sound is in the power tubes. Only when am SVT is cranked does it really set itself apart from other tube amps.

That being said, I find that getting "in tue neighborhood" is super fun. I don't need the cranked SVT tone exactly. I'm not even chasing it.

However, my current amp (lightweight with a tube pre) gets in the neighborhood. And it's own sound is freaking fantastic. It weighs a few pounds and is the size of a stout dictionary. If I push the pre (and I do), it gets just a little dirty. It has a truly classic bass tone, and none of the downsides of am SVT.

Short version: You won't get there wuth a pedal any more than I will with my kick A new amp. But why try? I get (literally) close enough for rock n roll. And its own tone makes me grin every time I get down on it.

Edit: Reading back through my post it sort of comes across as "Wanting something different from me is dumb". That's not what I meant at all. I was just offering a different perspective.

16. JoratioMumbles

JoratioMumbles It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz... Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    I recently acquired an Ampeg PF 500. In my research I came across an Ampeg video where Dino was showing you how to dial in an SVT tone with the PF series of amps. I am a jazz guy so never played through an SVT, let alone a cranked one, but from the examples they were giving it sounded pretty close to my ears.

edit:

Harper, GitmoMango and _HunterB_ like this.
  17. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    now there’s a pedal that actually sounds like an SVT

Zbysek, _HunterB_ and gh0st42 like this.
  18. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    JHS Pandamonium.

_HunterB_ and Manny Bernardez like this.
  19. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Just curious when it comes to this scenario...so what are we listening to, in order to determine the difference: Headphones? A Flat Power amp with the Preamp running through it? a Cab... mean..an AMPEG is many things...Tubes, Cab..etc...

Im using in-EARS on all of my gigs...with a back line, but that amp is not going through the house usually. I use a B-15 and SVT setting from alot of sources...TECH 21 VT and SANS Occasionally a zoom..HX stomp, an SVT with a Direct actually working out the back. And sheesh the SVT makes alot of sounds.

_HunterB_ and Pulverizor like this.
  20. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    to me the old school sound of an svt is 5 parts... the bass.. the attack.. or preboost.. preamp/eq.. the transformer.. powertubes... and the cab..

so to get as close to the sound as possible.. passive p.. Creation audio 4.23mk boost.. master effect 300.. a lighting boy 2020.. and ohmni cab on 810 mode..