1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

THE Pedals for the SVT Sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by _HunterB_, Oct 17, 2020.

1. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I was in a band where they had an SVT in the rehearsal space. Its quickness kind of scared me and I didn't love the sound. I on a TB break at the time and these pedals probably weren't even available yet. I'd have bought one of them stat to practice with the preamp at home. Then I could have been a better functioning band member.

2. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Ampeg SCR- DI really sounds very SVT like with the scrambler circuit just slightly blended in, I don’t like it at more extreme settings. If you pair it with a good subtle drive pedal & it can be very SVT like.

dbbltime likes this.
  3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i just received a Master Effects Super 300 today and IMO, it's the closest sounding pedal to an actual SVT that i've ever owned (and i've owned 15 SVTs with no SVT CLs).

4. bassegg

bassegg

Oct 17, 2018
    What about the standalone Ampeg Classic preamp pedal? Is it the same as a SCR DI just without the Scrambler section?

5. hbabels

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    As far as I know yes same Pre & EQ. Besides not having Scrambler it doesn’t have the Aux In or XLR out but the overall sound should be the same.

bassegg likes this.
  6. hbabels

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow I just listen to a demo of this pedal it sounds fantastic!

7. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Suspended Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I bought one a month or so ago and I concur that it is an extremely spot on recreation of the SVT sound. The pedal feels amazing under the fingers too.

Jim C and johnk_10 like this.
  8. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    Haven't tried the VT Bass, but unlike most folks on TB I really didn't like the Broughton SVPre at all - to me it did really weird things to the low end and seemed to cut certain bass frequencies, just enabling it with eq flat made the bass fall out of the mix.

It was a really well made unit tho, & I love the broughton Messenger pre i have (very neutral sounding), and we are all different players with different sounds we are after, so YMMV.

I've always like the IK Multimedia Ampeg emulation in their Amplitube 4 software - when i'm mixing i generally use 75% of a DI signal (after effects) going thru that and 25% of a mic'd cab, it always seems to make the bass fit really well in the mix.

the video's of that Master Effects Super 300 sound great! i wish it was a smaller pedal tho...

Zon master and NKBassman like this.
  9. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    I love the SV-Pre, but I agree that its EQ is weird and somewhat counter-intuitive. I actually find it sounds best with all three frequencies boosted, and depending on the cab setup I sometimes turn the bass or treble almost all the way up.

Super 300 looks real nice, and the builder is Canadian too! Yet another company to obsess about.

NKBassman likes this.
  10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    no offence, but I’ve never understood this approach... “I arbitrarily set all my knobs to 12:00 and it didn’t sound the way I wanted it to!” That’s what EQ is for, no?

Anyway, carry on...

11. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    Now that all SVT branded pedals on the planet have been recommended and dissed at least once, I herewith declare this thread complete.

meatwad, droo46, thumbslapper and 3 others like this.
  12. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    i found even with the bass boosted it sounded weird to my ears. I had it for 2-3 months and tried a bunch of different settings and behind a couple diff amps (mesa 400+, alembic f1x+amp) but never found anything that worked. I really lusted after it as well when it came out - tried to buy it new a few times which was pretty frustrating (thats true with almost any Broughton pedal tho), finally found one on reverb.

I thought the same thing about the MBD-1 as well - a bunch of folks really love it but it never did anything for me either, so i'm writing the whole thing off as (take your pick):
    - ymmv
    - every bassist has their own tone they pursue
    - same pedals sound different with different efx chains, players & amps
    - one mans treasure is another mans trash
    - the tone that works is the one that fits in with what other players in the band are doing and the genre you are playing and not the tone that sounds good solo'd
    - the One True Bass Tone (™) that exists above all others can only be played by my Genius Fingers (™) thru my Genius Pedalboard (™ again) and any other bass tone ever created is trash and fit only to be used as a foley-in flatulence sound in an Eddie Murphy movie.
    - There is no "right" or "wrong" sound, judgement of such can only be done by the creator of said sound.
    - There is no crappy bass tones, only crappy people.

-ts

BunchyMutt and NKBassman like this.
  13. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Ftw.

NKBassman likes this.
  14. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    Northern Oklahoma
    image-asset.gif

thumbslapper and Zon master like this.
  15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i emailed Tim at Master Effects and he told me that he's almost finished with a new SMD version so it just might possibly be in a smaller enclosure. even so, my original version sounds so good i won't be letting go of it.

16. Lowendtech

Forgive me but what is SMD?

17. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Suspended Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Looks like Tim just made an F800B pedal. IT's up on Reverb now. Too rich for my blood though.

18. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    I second the question.

19. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    surface mount devices which are much smaller, as opposed to large thru-hole ones.

Lowendtech likes this.
  20. Lowendtech

Ahh, right. I should’ve been able to figure that out. On a good day.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021