The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Gary Poe

Gary Poe

Nov 4, 2014
    Corsicana,Tx
    none
    I already have too many basses but that looks like fun! If its really that EZ on the wallet and the weight makes it light on my old back im gonna havta get one. Thanks for sharing.

2. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    poof, gone, lol

SBassman and Microbass like this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    :banghead:

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    :(

5. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    search japan, you'll find one....

6. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    Reviving this thread as I have seen here in Europe Thomann shows this mini-P will be available within 5 to 7 weeks.

Anybody knows if a regular P-bass pickguard migh fit? I would like to get the black one with a tort pickguard.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  7. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    Looking at the price level the mini P is quite the same as the Bronco. Thomann put 175 Euros for the Bronco and 173 Euros for the mini P.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bronco will be discontinued.
    The mini P apparently has the same hardware used for the Affinity P, same bridge, same wood for the fingerboard (laurel), etc. so maybe Fender thought about reducing costs by using some of the same assembly-line used for the Affinity P.

Considering the extra short scale length, they are also going to compete with brands like Ibanez (Mikro Bass).

Most important thing I would check is the frets, on the low budget area sometimes fret filing is seriously needed.

Anyway, I am really curious to try one.

8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    jeff7bass, Brookmichael and Shorty3 like this.
  9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Can someone post a link somewhere on a Fender/Squier cite about this bass, and, what is the scale?

jeff7bass likes this.
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I really like the idea of mini P bass but I prefer the offset body of the Mustang and Bronco since it makes it easier for me to play while seated.

11. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    Thomann website states scale length is 28,58 inches (726 millimeters). If I am not mistaken it is the same length of the Ibanez Mikro.

I wonder if the mini P would fit in a Strat guitar gigbag.

I also like the Mustang/Bronco body shape very much, but I would really like to try one of these mini P basses.

pcake likes this.
  12. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    Pickguard has 11 screw holes while standard P has 13 screw holes.
    I am afraid it won't be easy to swap pickguards.

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ok, then this is just a reissue of the same mini they used to have in production several years ago.

Shorty3 likes this.
  14. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    Do you know if body and pickguard of the old mini P were the same as a standard P bass or smaller?

I am also curious to see how the laurel fretboard is like, never seen one in person.

15. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Woo hoo! Thomann (Germany) lists them both at €149! The Bronco has gone down €22, it was €171! At that price, I'm going to order me a Fiesta Red Mini-P as soon as I can! You betcha!

pcake likes this.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    One of my mods is a Bronco body with a Mikro neck and bridge. Another is an Epiphone SG guitar body body with a Mikro neck and bridge.

The "Mikronco" is in the picture below under the "Mustonco".

Pair.jpg

17. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    Those basses are both gorgeous, congrats brother!
    Looks you put strat rail buckers on both of them, what are they exactly?

I also modded a Bronco recently with a custom b/w/b pickguard, Schaller light tuners, Schaller bridge and an EMG TBHZ passive humbucker, black Fender strap locks and D'Addario ECB81S Flatwound Chromes.
    The Bronco is a great modding platform and I was lucky enough to get one with real fine frets.
    I had another one previously which I had to have it professionally fret-filed by a luthier, that was a 2017 model and it had many bad issues.
    The one I have now is a 2019 model and it is just perfect.
    I also noticed that the 2019 model doesn't read "Affinity series" on the headstock anymore. I guess Fender decided to remove that to avoid making it look too much entry level, even though you might find great basses in the Affinity series.

Some (crappy) pics of my modded Bronco here:

20200515_173939.jpg 20200515_173931.jpg 20200515_173907.jpg 20200515_173852.jpg 20200428_141401.jpg

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Fantastic job. If I was modding a Bronco, I'd do something similar. Great job.

Where did you get the pickguard? [I really despise white pickguards.]

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I got the pickups on Amazon for under $15 each. They sound really good to me.

Excellent job on your Bronco. Where did you get the BWB pickguard?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021