The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    yeah, i was looking at their website that mentions the pre order

2. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

At this time, only some shops in Europe have them in stock. I know for sure Musik Productiv has them. Thomann, Music Store, Zoundhouse, etc, all show various dates in June or July. I was unaware they were even going to be sold in USA/Canada.

3. FinialBassist

FinialBassist

Apr 7, 2019
    I went ahead and preordered a red Mini Precision from Guitar Center. Most other US vendors have it listed at $179.99 (including Sweetwater and Squier's own website). Finger crossed GC honors their preorder price of $149.99.

The confirmation email states, "This item is available but requires extended shipping time." I have no idea when it'll actually arrive but I'm certainly eager to test it out. Now I need to figure out which set of flats I can put on it.

4. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Long and McQuade lists them as arriving in Canada late August 2020. Price is $249.99, which is 30 bucks cheaper than their current price for a Bronco.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  5. Volker Kirstein

If you decide to pull the trigger: check all the nuts and screws, especially on the headstock! All 4 of my tuner nuts were only finger tight. The tuners are held on the back with a single screw. 2 of them were not exactly loose, but were not snug at all.

The nuts holding the pots and jack on the pickguard were not loose, but they were also able to be snugged.

Finish-wise, there is less attention to detail for stuff under the pickguard: I have a matte spot about the size of a toonie (Canadian $2 coin) above where control cavity goes into the pickup route. I couldn't get the matte spot to show in photos, but it is plainly visible to the eye.

The control cavity appears to be well shielded and grounded.
    IMG_20200609_142720.jpg

The solder joints and rosin spatter on the pickguard scream "hand soldered" to me. There is plenty of wire to play with, it's quite a messy tangle in there. I plan on putting a wire tie on next time I open it up.
    IMG_20200609_142915.jpg

The action and intonation is still set from the factory. While the barrels look high, I found the action comfortable to play as is, and couldn't hear any faults in the 12th fret intonation. No fret rattles, but the G side edges could use a little work. The fret "sprout" is nowhere near bad, but I do notice it.
    IMG_20200609_142551.jpg
    IMG_20200609_142635.jpg

Strings. Regular short scale strings, with a winding length of 32" ball to taper are simply too long. You will end up with the fat part of the string wrapped around the tuner post on the E string. GHS Short Scale Precision Flats are shown below.
    IMG_20200608_202427.jpg

While they may work on a Mikro, which has the same 28.6" scale, there is significantly less space between the nut and tuner post on the Mini. To date, the only strings I've found that may work are the actual Ibanez Mikro Strings.

All that being said, it is a fun instrument to play, and sounds quite thumpy!

6. FinialBassist

FinialBassist

Apr 7, 2019
    Thanks @Volker Kirstein for the review and photos. I also appreciate your taking the time to measure the GHS flatwounds against the Mini. I'll probably poke around the Mikro threads to see if there's any conventional wisdom for strings that work on a 28.6" scale. I have Fender flats on my full-sized P bass and would be over the moon if I could find something similar for the little one.

I think I have my expectations set reasonably for the Mini. I'm not looking for a luxury instrument, just something fun to noodle around on.

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  7. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I've heard that you can use short scale D'Addario Chromes. From experience I can tell you that Chromes are flexible enough that they'll wrap around the tuning posts a bit without problems. Check with FretNation for other possibilities.

ShortChromes.jpg

bpmben, cm3ohana and FinialBassist like this.
  8. FinialBassist

FinialBassist

Apr 7, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like the Chromes are the most likely suspect. Someone posted a Mikro with Chromes a few years back. They just fit the Mikro, and the E string might overshoot the Mini a bit, but I'll probably give them a try anyway.

I had Chrome flats on a different full-sized P bass a couple years ago. I didn't like them as much as the Fender flats but I'll happily use them on the Mini if they're the best option.

9. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Unfortunately short scale Chromes are only available in light gauge. I'd try for a set with heavier E and A strings, if possible. Check with FretNation. I like Labellas on short scales myself, either FLs or FSs (.104 or .105 Es), if they're available for your end-of-bridge-to-nut wound length.

FinialBassist likes this.
  10. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    I wonder if one could swap a Mustang PJ neck to lengthen the scale to 30".
    I have an opportunity to buy a used Mustang PJ but have no idea if the neck heel is the same size as the Mini-P.
    Just thinking of a "Mustang Mini P" :)

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have a lead on a string manufacturer interested in building a SKU customized for the Ibanez Mikro Bass. Both the Mikro and this Mini are 28.6. If we dial the specs properly, we could identify a single SKU serving both both basses.
    If anyone is interested in working with me to identify specs for a nickel set customized for both the 28.6 Mikro bass and Mini P, please PM me.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Just got notice that mini is in stock at Sweetwater.

macmanlou likes this.
  13. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    I found this thread after I watched this video. I didn't know what bass Joe Dart was playing, then I found out through this thread that it is a Fender P-Bass Jr. Very cool. Trying to pass on the gas for this Squier Mini P.

Kubicki Fan, bpmben, tpa and 2 others like this.
  14. Volker Kirstein

No. Unless you can live with the fat part of the string winding onto the E and A tuners (some people can), no "regular" SS strings (32" ball to taper) will work on the Mini. The Mikro and Mini have different headstocks, and the distance from the nut to E tuner is much longer on a Mikro. The only option I've been able to find where I'm pretty sure the windings won't roll onto the tuner posts are Ibanez brand Mikro strings. (I'm not 100% sure. I haven't done it yet.) Short scale GHS Precision Flats shown here:
    IMG_20200608_202427.jpg

pcake likes this.
  15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i bought a set of mikro strings, and they didn't even fit my mikro. i wasn't the only person who complained about that.

RodRy and Volker Kirstein like this.
  16. Volker Kirstein

Didn't fit how? Was the taper going over the nut?

17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    yes, on both the E and the A.

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i feel like a jerk! i remembered backwards. the strings were too SHORT on the mikro, too long on my MB2.

RodRy and Volker Kirstein like this.
  19. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Late to join this discussion. Would’ve bought a mini P but didn’t know about it until I read this post. Ironically, I just finished modding my Bronco to achieve something similar
    CE1D77C5-6491-4CCB-AB4A-48BB7CCF20C4.jpeg

Kubicki Fan, Bgaudity, TK4261 and 4 others like this.
  20. eugenevsalerno

eugenevsalerno

Apr 14, 2020
    DavesnothereCA and RodRy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021