The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    I had the pickguard custom made by a local luthier, however there is a UK pickguard maker on Ebay who ships internationally that makes custom pickguards, they are based in Glasgow, Scotland. If I were to just mod the pickguard without shaping it for the humbucker I would give them a try.
    I don't think I can properly copy-paste the web page, just trying:

Squier Bronco BASS Battipenna/Battipenna: VARI colori: 1 3 & 4 Strati | eBay

I also had to redrill the holes for the tuners and drill new holes for the bridge. The Schaller bridge needed about half centimeter more distance and I used as reference the thin line track left by the original bridge:

2020-05-15 21.20.14.jpg

As for the pickup I had to enlarge the cavity which is already made to fit a EMG 35HZ type of humbucker. If I were to do it again I would go with a EMG 35HZ. I went with TBHZ because Thomann sell it with all the pots and cables made by EMG while the 35HZ is sold only with two screws and no pots. I wrote to EMG and they confirmed the magnets on the 35HZ and the TBHZ are the same ceramic bar magnets, only in different housings. Anyway, if one is going to install the EMG 35HZ, or any 35HZ sized soapbar for the matter, the cavity is already there under the Bronco pickguard, possibly requiring only a little adjustment.

2. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    It looks like a couple of dealers have gotten this Mini P sooner than expected. It's currently in stock at Musik Produktiv in Germany and guitarguitar in the UK. Everywhere else they seem to be at least 2 months away.

If this is basically a mini-Affinity it should be a decent instrument and decent value, unlike the Bronco which needs a ton of mods to lift it out of the cheap toy category.

Personally I have no interest in a mini-Affinity in black or dakota red. If they had gone a bit more crazy with the finishes I might have considered one as a mod object but black and dakota? Not for me. It's not like it would cost them any more to spray them sonic blue, is it?

But as an entry level for a beginner these look WAY better than a Bronco. With the skills needed to make a Bronco into a decent instrument it is actually one of the worst choices for a beginner IMO. The Bronco does have more potential for unique quirkyness (with the right owner) but the Squier line was sorely missing a proper entry level instrument for kids (and others too of course) and this looks a lot more promising.

Shorty3 and Volker Kirstein like this.
  3. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

This does indeed appear to be the case! The page says "in stock!" I'll be ordering mine next weekend, if all goes to plan!

S.F.Sorrow likes this.
  4. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    The MIM Fender P-Bass Jr is 28.6 inch scale, with a strung-through bridge. It uses most short scale length strings. Short scale Chromes fit mine very well. The Squier Mini-Precision is 28.6 inch scale, with a top-load bridge. It needs shorter strings, probably similar to what the Ibanez Mikro can use.

Fender P-Bass Jr -

P-BassJr.JPG

Squier Mini-P -

MiniP.jpg

Also, the Squier Mini-P has a tone control, which the Fender P-Bass Jr lacks. The Squier will be considerably less expensive than the Fender, which was about $450 new.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    pcake, Shorty3 and Volker Kirstein like this.
  5. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    I totally agree with you. That is why I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to discontinue the Bronco.
    All in all Fender has covered all the price levels for short scale basses, they have the MIA and MIM Mustangs, then the Squier Mustang and now this Mini P bass. So no need to keep the Bronco in production.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Fender rotates this stuff in and out over time.

I wish they had put just a Little effort into different colors or finishes. I would have picked one up for sure, even though I'm not even playing that scale these days.

7. FinialBassist

FinialBassist

Apr 7, 2019
    The Mini Precision is back on Guitar Center's website, listed for preorder at $149.99. At price I'm very, very tempted.

8. Volker Kirstein

Oh, hey! Lookie what showed up today!
    IMG_20200605_121640.jpg
    IMG_20200605_121829.jpg
    IMG_20200605_131137.jpg
    This thread was what originally turned me on to this bass, and I just had to get my hands on one. €169 from Musik Produtiv.

Kubicki Fan, pcake, Jackcrow and 4 others like this.
  9. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    Very nice! Congrats!
    How is the general feel and sound?
    How is the fretwork? Any neck dive?
    I am really curious, still couldn't find one to try in any shop where I live.

pcake likes this.
  10. Volker Kirstein

I played Li'l Red last night, and she plays just fine! My fingers overshot a few times, because my brain kept telling my fingers it's a 30" scale, rather than 28.5". But that went away after a few minutes, and was very comfortable to play.

Soundwise, the factory strings are brightish, but do have some good fundamental. With the tone rolled all the way, it sounds almost slappy, with lots of frap.

I was unable to find a dead spot, per se, although G# through C on the 4th string are a little thumpy/weak. This is probably string related.

The frets are a little rough on the edges, and some buzzing occurs at the very end of the fretboard. For example, the bass break in All Right Now... the 19th fret buzzes.

All in all, tho, despite the scratch in the finish, we are well pleased.

pcake and Shorty3 like this.
  11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    sabre79 and SBassman like this.
  12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Check out the back of the headstock and the tuners. Those are nice looking tuners. I like the smaller closed backs, not the giant traditional open backs. Nice.

Squier Mini P Tuners.png

MJB1961, pcake, Shorty3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Volker Kirstein

The tuners on mine are persnickety, and required many micro-adjustments before I got a stable tuning. Which didn't last. I plan on replacing them ASAP.

pcake and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Interesting. There will probably be several easy drop in replacements without creating new holes.

I have replaced tuners on low end basses with Gotoh GB707s. Affordable and very nice tuners.

Volker Kirstein and macmanlou like this.
  15. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    Thanks for your review!
    Did you experience any neck dive? Sorry if I ask but sometimes with short scales neck dive can be an issue.

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  16. Volker Kirstein

:roflmao: Dunno. I've only played it sitting at this point. If/when I do, and have issues, you can rest assured that I'll post it.

pcake and Shorty3 like this.
  17. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I'd hate to see the bronco go. Crappy bass for beginners but a fun project for those that like modding. It was basically a blank canvas and wasn't a plain p or j shape. I might grab one soon as a quarantine project. Maybe we will see a squire cv musicmaster in the near future.

cm3ohana and Shorty3 like this.
  18. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just ordered a black one through Music Zoo on Reverb. I’m hoping it’s actually in stock, as it doesn’t say that it’s just a preorder.

19. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    don't know if it changed, but at music zoo, both black and red say pre-order...

20. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    It didn’t say anything on the Reverb listing about preorder. If I have to wait I guess that’s OK, more time to find new tuners and a pickup for it. I’m waiting for a body and neck from Warmoth at the moment, think it’s been about a month, getting antsy for a project to work on already.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021