The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. I'll hold out for a Squier mini J. If the short scale trend holds, then it might be seen at the next winter NAMM show.

pcake likes this.
  2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Mini J would be fun.

MJB1961 and nixdad like this.
  3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I like this bass a LOT! It's basically the old Fender Mini Precision with the Squier name on the headstock. Those old Mini Ps go for a fair amount of money IF you can find one, which I never could accomplish.
    As for the strings, I have used cut down 34" Chromes on my 30" scale basses in the past with no issues, so I have no concerns about tossing a set of short scale Chromes on a 28.6" scale bass.

antfarm and MJB1961 like this.
  4. FinialBassist

FinialBassist

Apr 7, 2019
    My red Mini Precision has shipped and should arrive next Monday. Can't wait to try it out. Looks like GC honored the early preorder price, so I'm thinking this is a pretty sweet deal.

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  5. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    Has anyone figured out a set of strings that might fit well in the meantime?

6. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

At this point, I believe Ibanez brand Mikro strings are the leading contender for proper fit. If you're willing to accept the winding (fat part of the string) wrapped on your E and A tuners, regular short scale strings should also work.

No one, that I know of, has actually reported changing the strings on a Mini P yet, so any thoughts on the subject, including my own, are still theoretical.

MJB1961, TN WOODMAN and caralse like this.
  7. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    I remember reading that the Fender Precision Jr. played by Joe Dart in some of Vulfpeck's tunes is strung with LaBella flats or Thomastik, one of those two.
    They should be identical in shape and dimensions (Squier and Fender) so maybe those strings fit. Or Stratton just accepted the winding on E and A strings.

EDIT: Btw, what's the actual problem with the winding reaching the tuning machine on E and A? Risk to break it?

8. Volker Kirstein

The P Bass Jr is string through, the Mini P is not.

As far as windings on the tuner go, there is no technical reason I know of. A curved string, instead of a straight line, between the nut and tuner just bugs me to no end. It's entirely my own idiosyncracy, a mental thing. It may or may not bug others. I don't care. It bugs me.

Splayed strings on the headstock wig me out, too. Except for symmetric 2x2 headstocks.

caralse likes this.
  9. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    Nice catch.

That makes me feel like it would ruin the nut, pushing it on a side, but that's probably totally no-sense too.

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I ordered a Mini P yesterday from my local Fender dealer and told the tech to throw on a set of Chrome Short Scale strings when it arrives. I'll let everyone know how it works when I receive the bass :D

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm jealous of you guys. I want to play in this sandbox, but, it's not the right time for me.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I use regular D'Addario short scale strings (Chromes and Nylon tapes, I don't use roundwounds) on my Mikros and they fit perfectly with no wrapping of the "fat part of the string" around the tuner post.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  13. Volker Kirstein

And, once again, it's apples and oranges.

The Mikro and the Mini have totally different headstocks. The Mini is significantly shorter between the nut and the E tuner than the Mikro. Just because it works on a Mikro does not mean it'll work on a Mini.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I never said those strings would work on the Mini. I was just relating my experience with the strings I mentioned strings on my Mikros. I'm no longer interested in the Mini nor do I use the Mikros now since they don't have an offset body shape which works better for me since I had the stroke. In fact the best fit for me now is a Mikro neck on a modified Bronco body.

15. Ricky G

Ricky G

Mar 12, 2019
    Regarding if it would fit in a strat guitar gigbag, I don't have the mini P-Bass but I can say that the Fender Mustang PJ does fit in the Gator transit series electric guitar gigbag, if you remove the additional padding along the bottom and around the headstock; also fits my 2006 Gibson SG bass. They were a little tight un-modified so I changed out the tuners to ones with smaller machine heads and they are now easier to get in and out of the bag. Assuming that the mini P-Bass has a smaller total length, since it has an even shorter scale than the Mustang PJ, I think it would probably fit in the transit, or pro-go(1.6 inches longer internal dim), electric guitar gigbags quite nicely.

That said, I haven't seen any published info on the total length of the mini P-Bass or size comparison vs full size P-Bass or Mustang, so I'd confirm the total body length and headstock size against the case you plan to use before ordering anything.

Shorty3 likes this.
  16. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    Mine just arrived! Beautiness level: Miriam Leone.
    I love it!

Attached Files:

17. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I really, REALLY want one but I think it's poor from Fender that they don't offer a suitable set of strings for it. But then again, knowing Fender they would probably offer a 35-80 set and nobody likes Fender strings anyway.:roflmao:

Why do so many string manufactureres offer short scale sets in LIGHTER gauges than the corresponding long scale sets? Short scale basses need HEAVIER gauge strings! Fender's only (regular 30") short scale set is far too thin and floppy IMO. And the Roto 66 short scales are literally useless because of the wobbly thin E-string that can't even hold a steady pitch. There are others too. I just don't understand the reasoning behind offerering these ultra light short scale sets. Especially if that's the ONLY available gauge???:confused:

18. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    I don't understand how to remove the pot knobs, volume and tone. There's no screw, do i have to pull them?

TN WOODMAN and SBassman like this.
  19. Volker Kirstein

They pull right off.

TN WOODMAN and caralse like this.
  20. hangnail

hangnail

Dec 21, 2019
    I have one coming to my local Long and Mcquade, tomorrow. Can't wait!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021