The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    You made me go look up Miriam Leone. :)

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    You might have my disease. I feel Compelled to yank knobs off of a new bass pretty quickly - if they are chrome. There is something about a chrome knob that bugs me. :) I replace with black plastic or rubber knobs.

Yeah - without a screw, you just pull off, press on.

TN WOODMAN and caralse like this.
  3. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    :laugh: She was the first one coming to mind

Btw pay attention tightening screws, they're really easy to break. Mine didn't even really break actually, just melt like chocolate

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    TN WOODMAN and Volker Kirstein like this.
  4. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

Really? I didn't tighten them past snug, and didn't notice any that threatened to melt.

By "melt," I assume you mean the screwdriver head slipping and stripping the slots? This is usually caused by the wrong sized screwdriver. If there's even a little bit of play, stripping a screw head is relatively easy to do.

TN WOODMAN and pcake like this.
  5. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    No, sorry, didn't explain well. By melt i meant that i splitted in a half a screw trying to tighten it, without noticing even a slight friction. I said "melt" because i didn't apply any force

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Some low end stuff definitely has parts of hardware, like screws, that are made with metal that is too soft. Have seen it many times myself with my dwellings in low end stuff. Thankfully, it can all be addressed.

I'm jealous of all this fun. But I'm waiting on my next target, rather than this - a 25.5 inch scale Glen Burton in natural finish. :)

7. Volker Kirstein

When I first heard about the Fender Precision Jr, it was already a rare bird, and priced out of my reach.

Then this one came along, and I had to. Even though it stretched my budget painfully, and I have a perfectly fine shorty P (Blue Belle) from Gear4music, I didn't want to miss out. I have no idea how large, or how long, this run is/was. I was afraid that if I waited until I could afford it out of pocket, they'd be on back order, or sold out.

I had a similar issue with the J&D Mini Jazz. Late last year, when I could afford one, they were back ordered until Feb/March this year, depending on color. I eventually got a practically new one (Princess Luna) from the want ads in late February, 30% cheaper.

Anyway, Red Pearl block inlay stickers are here, a thumbrest has been installed, and Mikro strings are on order. I'm waiting for the strings to get here (next week) to apply them. In my imagination, they're gonna look sharp.
    IMG_20200624_135027.jpg

I'm not sure about the thumbrest. I may take it off again. I only used one screw in an existing hole, so no huhu changing it back.

IMG_20200623_140330.jpg
    IMG_20200623_140349.jpg
    IMG_20200623_140431.jpg

MJB1961, mikew31, pcake and 2 others like this.
  8. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    Volker Kirstein likes this.
  9. Volker Kirstein

It feels better that both, as far as fretwork and playability goes. I haven't adjusted the action or intonation. It was fine for me as it came out of the box. The Mini P is heavier than the Gear4music, lighter than the Mini Jazz. They're all lightweights, so we're talking 5 to 6 lbs range here.

Soundwise, the J&D is meh, so there's no comparison there. The Mini P definitely sounds more "P like" than the Gear4music, which sounds almost "P like." But that's kinda like asking the difference between a Granny Smith and a Red Delicious. Both taste like apples.

RodRy, S.F.Sorrow, TN WOODMAN and 3 others like this.
  10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    My two cents... I love what you're doing with the bass, but the thumbrest looks a little too big for the 3/4 body.
    I was torn between red and black but coincidentally just bought a red Bronco last week so I ordered black. Now just need to find the right tort pickguard :)

11. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    Is the nut width 1.6" (40.6 mm) or 1.5" (38 mm)? I have seen both listed online.

Also, what is the string spacing?

12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The fretboard wood look brownish than indo Squier CV 60P.
    And....... all the string a bit forward to low string side.

13. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    I think nut is 38mm, string spacing is Fender's standard 19mm

14. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    ptele.jpg

Comparison with my Telecaster Classic Vibe '60. They're same size, Tele's body it's a little bit wider actually.
    Confirm fretboard it's darker on the Mini

S.F.Sorrow and pcake like this.
  15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    How is the rosewood quality on the P?

I find on low end instruments that the fretboard wood is one of the compromises. It has led me to add a little bit of wipe on finish to many low end rosewood fretboards over the years.

16. caralse

caralse

Jan 7, 2020
    I think it's indian laurel, not rosewood. Anyway exceeded the expectations, for the price

S.F.Sorrow and pcake like this.
  17. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    Had I known about these before purchasing the parts and assembling my Bronco, I would have gotten one. Very cool.

18. Ricky G

Ricky G

Mar 12, 2019

GHS Boomers Short Scale sets

3135 SET - SHORT SCALE BASS BOOMERS® - Light (32.75" winding) 045-095, G(.045), D(.060), A(.075), E(.095)
    3035 SET - SHORT SCALE BASS BOOMERS® - Regular (32.75" winding) 050-107 G(.050), D(.070), A(.090), E(.107)

RodRy and S.F.Sorrow like this.
  19. Volker Kirstein

*sigh*
    GHS Short Scale Precision Flats, also 32.75" winding length:
    IMG_20200608_202427.jpg

RodRy and DavesnothereCA like this.
  20. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I've tried both (on a regular 30" short scale though). One is far too light and the other is slightly too heavy for my taste. Why the huge gap? But this was 10-15 years ago and I have a feeling I might like the 050s slightly better today.

Of course there are LOTS of other options for 30" short scale basses. My previous post was about the manufacturers that ONLY offer ultra light short scale sets. There are several manufacturers with a GREAT selection of short scale strings. Like Pyramid.They offer short scale strings in practically ever gauge imaginable. But regular 30" of course.

Come to think of it... Pyramid are known to make weird custom sets on request. Maybe someone should contact them about strings for the Mini-P...???

RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021