The Sushi Box FX Secret Society

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kranahan, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Nope, the bypass tone is different, and these are both true bypass so there's no reason the bypass tone should be different. the difference was somewhere else, either in my bass onboard EQ or in the IR's EQ. Also the tubes see the same voltage on the plates (200V or so) regardless of input voltage, the X series just uses a 12V input because it's a lot easier to heat a a 12AX7 with 12V @ 150mA than 6V @ 300mA.

As for the re-do of the demos I have to apologize for the delay, I got the boards put together last night and got pots attached but haven't installed tubes yet, I've been busy helping my wife remodel the pantry :p But I expect to be back in the basement and ready to record new demos for PA/PAX and Slampegg/Slampegg X within the next hour.

NKBassman, gh0st42, kranahan and 3 others like this.
  2. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Is the pantry now an X series pantry?

Lammchop93, NKBassman, PeterH and 6 others like this.
  3. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I got the C.A.B. M today and downloaded the 2x15 BT-25 IR. I used to own it, so looking forward to trying the Slampegg X cum B-25B rig.

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  4. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    I had to explain what X series meant to my wife before relaying this joke, but after I did it got a chuckle out of her.

"If X series means nicer and more expensive, then yeah this is an X series pantry now" is apparently the answer.

5. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    ha!

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  6. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    “Happy wife, happy life.”

7. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    So in the interest of time and for the sake of A/B-ing, I'm doing these demos a little different and I'm not doing very many of them. I think one day soon I'd like to go through and re-do all of my demos, but that day is not today :p

So each demo will play bypass, then the X model, then the original, so you get a direct comparison right next to each other. I'm not messing with EQs, just gain levels, as that will be the main thing that will respond differently. There will be mild tonal differences between the tubes, but you'll hear that without me playing every EQ setting for you.

I'm exporting the Slampegg demos now, I'll get those exported then get set up and do the PA/PA X demos the same way.

kranahan likes this.
  8. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Oh and here's the Slampegg comparison tracks.

1983L2000, munkeyfish, PeterH and 5 others like this.
  9. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    That makes sense since you don’t have separate pages for the X series pedals. Thanks for the recordings.

Jaycephas and Sushi Box FX like this.
  10. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Oh and I forgot to mention this is with a JJ/Tesla 12AX7 in the Slampegg X, I wanted to make it more representative of what it would sound like with the "stock" tube from me.

Another note, I'm only doing three positions of each for comparison, but since they're so similar you can dial in pretty much the same sounds. You can hear that the X series has more gain because the 12AX7 has 25% higher gain than 6N21B, but you can dial it back to get more or less the same breakup level as the 6N21B. Also worth noting, you won't hear it in the demo because I adjusted volume to keep things equal, but the Slampegg X has more volume on tap. Still not as much as PA or LU, but a bit more than regular Slampegg.

Setting up to record PA/PA X demos now.

Sonicblaze, kranahan and johnk_10 like this.
  11. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    And here are the PA comparison tracks. Also done bypass, then X, then regular. For this one Bass and Treble are at 12:00, Mids are all the way up. I also used a JJ/Tesla 12AX7 in the PA X for this one.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, they both sound great. maybe it's just me but the X version of both pedals seems to sound a little more dynamic, less compressed and a tiny bit more articulate but the 6N21B version is awesome as is.

13. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    Now that the PA/Slampegg X Series is coming out, will there be X series versions of other preamp pedals IE Dr Wattson/London Underground/Sunday Drive? Just found out about the new pedal models and am super interested... last time I checked out Sushi Box stuff the site was still a WIP- it looks so spiffy now! Sorry if the question has already been asked, I couldn't find any info after digging about for a while.

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  14. I agree 100%!
    Both are complete winners from what I hear. Can't wait to get my Slampegg and then daydream about a PA or something else I have no room for on my board, lol

PeterH and Sushi Box FX like this.
  15. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    There are currently X Series versions of PA, Slampegg, London Underground, and Lab Rat, but I don' have info for LU or LR on the website yet because I don't have a completed build for either yet, but I already have orders for both. I just finished the layout for the Dr. Wattson X, so I should have a prototype for that soon-ish, based on how the prototype turns out I'll decide when to release it, and at that point I'll decide whether or not to do an X version of Sunnday Drive.

And the renovation of the website is 100% the work of @Sonicblaze, he has done an excellent job making it function like a real website instead of a neglected smattering of random ugliness like it was before :p

Rich48, mikeGJ, johnk_10 and 8 others like this.
  16. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    This is.... exciting. Also, thanks to @Sonicblaze for the amazing work on the site :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    kranahan, Sushi Box FX and johnk_10 like this.
  17. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Agree with other comments. I would be happy with both. I just changed my PA order to an X series though

Sushi Box FX and fivestringgecko like this.
  18. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Friendly reminder that tonight (January 3) is your last chance to change January orders, I'm finalizing everything and will be ordering parts first thing Monday morning so I can get started.

PeterH, macmanlou, munkeyfish and 9 others like this.
  19. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    There are still a couple hours for this to change, but for now these are the numbers I have for January:

Particle Accelerator: 3
    Particle Accelerator X: 5
    Slampegg Bee Pre: 2
    Slampegg Bee Pre X: 11 !!
    London Underground: 3
    London Underground X: 4
    Dr. Wattson: 5
    Deep Dish: 3
    Lab Rat: 3
    Lab Rat X: 1
    Sunnday Drive: 2
    Echosaurus: 1

20. Is this the first month Deep Dish is on the build list for customers or did some go out last month?

When you kick the boost on in the Sunnday drive does it dirty up the tone with out too much of a volume jump or does it operate more like a Tone Hammer DI?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021