Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The TB fitness/weight loss challenge

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Jan 23, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Listen now and hear me later.

Tired of those extra pounds weighing you down?
    Feeling tired and run down all the time?
    Do you dread being "skins" for pickup basketball?
    Are those ultra-lite bass cabs starting to feel heavy?
    Does everything make your a$$ look big?

Let's do something about it!

This thread is for those trying to get in shape and/or shed some pounds.

Share your strategies, such as diet and exercise plans. Talk about your challenges and your goals. Also share online/offline resources that you find helpful. Let's encourage each other too. Post your before and after weight, waist size, etc. If you're bold post some before and after pictures. Share with us the progress you are making.

So who's with me?

2. I'll play.

How about we have our Before(now) weight... and our goal weight...

My "Strategy" is to cut back on eating large portions of junk food,and drinking lots of water. on weekdays,I don't eat breakfast or lunch.

*shrug*

3. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    My goals:
    1) Lose 3 inches off my belly. Right now it is 37", even though my waist size is a 34.
    2) Firm up what is flabby on the rest of me.
    3) Reduce my overall cholesterol level (right now it is 250)

My strategy:
    1) Eat 3 moderate meals and 2 light snacks a day. My goal for total caloric intake a day will be somewhere between 2000-2500. The target for the makeup of those calories is 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat. Eliminate junk food, but will indulge myself modestly once a week.
    2) Weight train 3 times a week. First stage will be 3-4 sets of light weights, many repititions of about 6-8 exercises of major muscle groups.
    3) Aerobic exercise for 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week

When I get home, I'll post a "before" picture. And looking forward to posting my "after" picture.

4. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Good idea.

I added to my original post.

5. Started at 250, now am at 235 and still going. Got there by eating better and exercising a lot. Not going to go into a deep explination cuz I'm at school, but will later.

6. I'm 172...and I'm trying to get down to 160. I know it's not alot,but I like being fat.

To be honest,I don't excerise at all...the only way I can lose this weight is by watching what I eat.Mine will be harder to reach then all you guys that are excerising your asses off(litterly;)). But I am still a teen,meaning I have that lovely teenage metabolism :D

Good luck guys.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Ok I'm in. I have no plan. 5'7" 190lbs. I play hockey and have muscular legs and I'm pretty solid up top. The middle is where the problem is now. At 39 years old, I need to take charge of my body now. The thing is, I don't really eat that much. I probably eat as much as my wife and she only weighs 115lbs:meh:

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I'm in:D

194 pounds 34 years old. I want to get down to 180 pounds, I will do this by eating three meals a day. (now I only eat lunch with a small snack for supper) cut down on the proportion size, and get rid of junk food and the ever so good EVIL soda(for the most part). I am a carpenter so the thought of going to a gym after work is just silly to me.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

I built a shed in my backyard last fall. I couldn't stand up straight for a week after. Nearly killed me. Tough work, I used to frame houses years ago :p

10. Ok, I'll join in. I weigh 265#, I'm 6'3" and 24 years old. I would like to weigh...265#, but lose about 6 inches off the old waist line (from 42s to 36s). Guess I need to get my arse back to the old gym.

11. I'm game for this thing and i have already lost a good chunk o' flub. I started at around 300 and i am at or around 275, i'd say thats a good start from the beggining of decmeber.

My strategy:
    I run 1 mile every other day, drink ATLEAST 1 gallon of water throughout the day, and just cut down my overall meal size and change the types of foods i eat. I have done nothing spectacularly different and i am losing the weight i want so i think this is a good plan for me but maynot be so great for others.

12. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    While hardly overweight, I have lost almost 20 lbs in about 6 weeks just by eating smarter - my own pseudo version of Atkins, which still inlcudes pizza, beer, and other high carb things. More salads than I used to eat, I avoid unneccesary breads and such, and the most important thig IMO - drink a great deal of water all day long and go for many small meals/snacks over few large meals.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm in!

I started Atkins back in September, and took off 6 weeks in December/January.

I am back on the Induction for now, which is 20 grams(or less) carbs per day, not including fiber, glycerine and sugar alcohols.

I started at 292 in September, I am currently at 268, and hope to get down to 220. My waist size started at 48, I am down to 42, and hope to get down to 38, with my stomach being the same size.

After the Induction phase ends, I will increase my carbs 5 grams per day/per week until I find the point that I stop losing weight. Once I find that point, I will back off 5 grams a day, and keep it there until I get within 15 pounds of my goal weight. Then I will start adding 5 grams per day/per week again, until the weight loss has slowed down to a pound every two weeks, and when I get to 5 pounds over my goal weight, I will slow it to a pound per month.

My carbs will come primarily from low carb vegetables, which are high in nutrients and phytochemicals. I am also supplementing my fiber so that I get at least 22 grams per day. As my vegetable consumption goes up, my supplementation will go down.

Speaking of supplements, I am taking a multivitamin, along with extra B, C, A, D and E, calcium, Omega 3 and 6 oils, L-Carnitine, and Co-enzyme Q10.

I am doing cardio at least 45 minutes per session, at least 3 times per week, and doing resistance training at least twice a week.

And drinking at least a gallon of water per day.

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I fell like I should exercise, but I
    think it would be a good idea if I took
    a nap until the feeling goes away.

I hate exercising outside when it is in single digits. rrrrr.

6'2 225 @51yrs. size 38.

Goal 200 at 52 years size 34.

The joints are not what they used to be,
    but I do have small hand barbells. The
    elbows and knees need gentle treatment.

Traumatic leg injury in '86 precludes jogging
    or running. Walking is ok.

Have been in maintenance mode, I usually gain 5-10 lbs over the holidays, but this year I watched
    the carbs and portions. My wife doesn't think it is Xmas unless she makes 7 desserts, so this was no small feat.

I weigh 11 lbs less than NJL. Now that Fata$$ needs a diet!

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    The 5-6 meals a day over the 3 large meals is the way to go. It really improves your meatabolism.

Regarding people who claim that they are on the Atkins diet.... Many people are cutting carbs completely out their diet which is an awful thing to do. Carbs are the building blocks for energy and store a great deal of water. I have heard people say that they are gorging themselves on red meat and avoiding carbs which is so unhealthy.

I agree that drinking alot of water is also really important. If your lips are dry your body is basically telling you that you're dehydrated.

As far as work outs go. For the last two years or so I have been a big advocate for yoga. Done in combination with a good cardio routine is absolutely killer. I have been working out for years and never realized how truly weak I was until I started doing yoga.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :spit:

*Voice of Cartman from Southpark* "Hey! My i'm just big boned!"

:D

I'm about 236lbs. and about 5'11". now guys before you start saying "jeez, that's one big fat-a$$!", i assure you, i have a very 'thick' build. when i was a wannabe weightlifter, i got down to 199lbs, i had a lot less fat and was really, really thick. having said that, according to the Gov't, i'm supposed to be around 175lbs - that total BS, i would have to prolly have a very, very....very, very, very low bodyfat percentage. there was just noway that i could have dropped to even 190lbs.

do i need to exercise....uh, get back to me on that...

:D

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Atkins is a plan for life.

There is a common misconception that you stay at 20 grams indefinitely. That is not true.

People who gorge themselves on red meat have either not read the book, or they are not following the diet properly.

When you reduce the carbs in your diet to a certain level, your body is forced to burn your stored fat for fuel. Last time I heard, it was a good idea to get rid of your excess body fat.

Most people, once they move to the lifetime maintenance(which is just that, you should follow it for the rest of your life) are able to eat 90 - 110 grams of healthy carbs per day without gaining weight. And by losing all of the excess body fat, they no longer have high LDL cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, insulin resistance, and glucose intolerance. All of these things lead to heart disease, atherosclerosis, type II diabetes and shortened lifespan.

Most overweight americans are eating 300+ grams of carbs per day, mostly refined carbs like sugar, white bread, etc. And most of the fats that they are eating are hydrogenated oils. You are better off eating lard than putting that poison in your body.

The first 3 phases of Atkins help you get rid of your body fat, and teach you how to eat healthy. They prepare you for the last phase, which you should follow the rest of your life. If you go back to your old ways, you will find yourself morbidly obese again within 2 years.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ditto!!

Ya gotta feed the fire just right to keep it burning nice and strong.

;)

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my little lady has been on this "cabbage" diet - she has been losing a lot of weight. she's looking really great. makes me want to just tap that ass. :smug:

she does make a good point of fattening me up so no other women would want to look at me. i guess this is a Latina sub-culture. :D

20. I eat 3 meals and drink 2 protein shakes. I also eat a protein bar at work, since my job is very physical. As my work out routine. I do weightlifting 3 days a week and cardio for 2 days. I take weekends off usually unless I'm bored I'll go and do some abs or something.

As far as supplements I drink protein shakes, I sometimes take creatine, but I cycle it on and off so my body won't get used to it. And I also take L-Glutamine, which in my opinion is one of the best things anyone could take. Glutamine which is an amino acid helps against muscle breakdown. So if you are trying to lose weight, you'll lose fat and not muscle. And it also helps protein synthesis, and glycogen production. Which means that it helps the protein absorb faster into the muscle. Protein is what helps build muscle.

Farley right about carbs. You shouldn't cut carbs completely from your diet. If you eat good carbs in moderation. You'll be fine. It's also ok to splurge once in a while. If not I think we would all go crazy.