1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The tip jar

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PopaWoody, Jan 2, 2012.

1. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    So this idea kind of hit me during some down time. We had been using an old beat up Rogers Drum Co. Tom Tom. upside down with a sheet of paper reading Tips taped to it.

Well not being one to do something half assed I wanted to rig up something to draw attention to the tip 'jar'.

I stripped the hardware off polished it up, removed the plastic liner. Then sanded and painted it fire engine red. We picked up some paint pens and music themed stickers from a craft store. Robin decorated painted some cool things on the outside shell.

The next day one of Robin's friends comes over with some lights he has that we can use. 4 Coemar LED Pars. That are just plain amazing. There was also a DMX controller thrown in as well.

These lights are over $1000 a piece. What a guy that Frank is.

Anyway here's a couple still shots, and I figured why not add some video to show off what our tip jar under DMX control can do. Flashing green sounds pretty encouraging right? :)

As an added bonus Robin came up with the acronym FTMF on the side. During a show we accept $1 bills to guess at what it stands for. If someone gets it right we buy them a shot. First gig it was a hit, good tips and i bought the soundmans girlfriend a beer after she got really close. No one else could guess what it meant. Then at the end of the second set if no one has guessed we reveal the answer. It was a lot of fun.

Guesses anyone? :bag:

BTW there are no F bombs in the actual meaning, Most patrons at the last gig insisted on some very colorul phrases. However after I saw what Robin wrote on there my gut reacted with "Fill this mother f......."

405050_302196399822434_100000962295562_862442_1428012151_n.

401553_302196429822431_100000962295562_862443_1494985694_n.

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    "Feed The Musicians Fund"??

3. Feel The Music Fully.

Get a new one each week or you'll wind up buying a lot of shots!

4. **** THESE MOTHER****ERS?

5. PopaWoody

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Great job! you nailed it in the first reply.

6. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Potential alternative slogans could involve bail money, paternity tests, child support, booze/drug funds, rehab, identity change, ...

7. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    If you can afford the fancy tip jar and expensive lights you dont need tips. Looks Like you're all doing just fine without it. I'd still throw a buck in there anyway.

8. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I never thought of a cool tip jar, may have to start thinking of something.

9. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Great tip jar. Sad state to see a beautiful old Rogers in. :(

10. PopaWoody

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    You should have seen it before the revamp. It was way worse for wear, rusty pitted chrome, cracked plastic shell.

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Well, you know what they say about a blind squirrel... :D

12. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011
    Looks great! I normally am a strong believer that a TIP jar should be clearly labeled as such, but since you are doing a little contest that makes the idea clear each night, you really have a good thing there............