They did it to me again! Shipping rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by klejst, May 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I'll keep this short as possible and it's nothing to do with anything bass related but I read constantly threads about shipping woes so here is another of mine. A while back I posted a thread about a pair of pants I had ordered and it was shipped from Florida to Georgia then to Kansas then for whatever reason all the way out to California then back to Kansas then sat for a day in Nebraska where I live and then was delivered the next day and the pants were the wrong color all along. Anyways, FedEx is the shipment provider of choice for a shower head I bought and again for something that should of taken three days max, it's day five and once again tracking shows me it made another unnecessarily trip to the West Coast when it could of just been delivered to me when it was sitting in Iowa the day before. Believe me I would use another provider at this point but they never offer a choice, it's whatever I am sure the seller gets on the cheap. I have no complaints with FedEx once my stuff arrives because I never had any packages damaged or broke or anything...yet...however just never understood why the packages make a completely out of the way trip. Anyways, thanks for reading, I feel a little better now, package set to arrive tomorrow.....hopefully.

2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Are you specifically referring to FedEx Ground?

Not if the Iowa stop was only a routing hub. If I ship something FedEx to the house across the street from me, that item will be taking a LONG trip. Same for UPS and even USPS.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Ah, I remember the days when you could just go to a store and pick out the pants you wanted.

But ordering on line is so much easier... ;)

S-Bigbottom and dwm74 like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

(it's only funny when it's not happening to me)

this is funny! :laugh:

OP: hope you get your goods via the shortest route possible, for once! good luck! :thumbsup:

klejst likes this.
  5. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Sure, but all the way out to the West Coast and back to at least me made no sense. But sure, must be a method to the madness.

True, however these were offered online for about half the price of in store, however sure I guess it's true when they say "you get what you pay for" sometimes.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  6. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    It's mind boggling but yeah humorous...it's a shower head so at least I'm not waiting on medical supplies or anything...I would be dead by now.

JRA likes this.
  7. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Besides the pants like I said I ordered before after everything were the wrong color and had to be sent back anyways :D

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

don't do it!

just teasing! waiting for shipments of our stuff can be aggravating...i'm with you, klejst ! :thumbsup:

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Simple really.

A computer program figures out how packages are routed based on flights already booked from one hub to another.

There aren't 5 Fedex jets a day going from Florida to Kansas. Why would there he? But, there's a flight going to Georgia, which meets up with a flight going somewhere else, which meets up with a flight going somewhere else, which meets up with a flight going to wherever it is you are.

It's not a waste because the flights are going that way anyway. Sending another jet directly from Florida to Kansas for your one package, now THAT would be a waste.

The Midwest has a relatively low population that is spread out over a gazillion square miles. Running aircraft from the major hubs directly to every possible Midwest nearest hub would be ridiculously expensive. So the price of shipping would go up even more than it has already.

Honestly, getting a bazillion packages delivered every day in this country (never mind the rest of the Big Blue Marble) with relatively few of them late or damaged is something I can't even get my head around. The term "logistics" isn't extreme enough for that undertaking.

klejst likes this.
  10. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's actually amazing I can track my packages from anywhere. There are hubs that many items go through, so one section of the country will likely send everything to a certain hub, then on from there.

Living in Phoenix, I recall ordering something from SoCal, only to see it shipped from LA to Memphis, and then to Dallas, then on to Phoenix. Heck, that package saw more of this great country than I have!

Back when tracking was in its early stages, I ordered my kids some iPods. Was kinda cool following them around the globe:
    Monday: departed Shanghai
    Tuesday: arrived Anchorage, departed later that day
    Wednesday: arrived Indianapolis, departed for Phoenix
    Thursday: Delivered to my front door in Phoenix

11. Stop reading the shipping log every few hours.

If they say "Delivery Thursday the 8th" who cares how many Bars and Roadside Attractions it visits on its way as long as Thursday the 8th it is at your door. It may be its only time to visit "The Worlds Largest Teapot" because we all know you sure ain't going. If it arrives Wednesday the 7th, happy surprise.

Now if it is Friday the 9th without delivery, start the rage.

12. I see what you mean but at some stage it goes fron jetting to trucking and think that's where OP gets the royal tour.

I wonder if part of his address has a more famous namesake in California?

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Evidently they can't find you! Do you live in Lower Slobbovia? (Warning, old guy content, taken from Al Capp's "Li'l Abner...)

827lowerslobbbovia.png

klejst likes this.
  14. This was a really good explanation. I hope you were listening.

You aren’t paying by the mile, or even by the hour. You probably got free shipping, so what’s the problem?

15. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nope I'm RAGING! ;)

...No, I did not get free shipping. I just merely never understood the shipping travel of some packages is all and to me it seemed weird to go all the way out to the Coast when it was only about one state away is all. I am not upset or pissed or anything, was just ranting a little...not so much looking to be directly schooled or anything like that...but, so yeah I was listening.

dreamadream99 likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021