1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thick Inflexible Picks.That's the way.

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by gebass6, Jul 6, 2015.

1. On Friday night, I decided to learn to play with a pick, but the only pick I had was a Dunlop nylon .73mm pick. It constantly spun out of position in my hand and I didn't like how it flexed.

Yesterday, I took some recommendations from this thread (thanks everyone), and went pick shopping with my .73mm pick to compare. Out of all the picks in this thread, the shop only had the Dunlop Gator Grip 2mm, and Dunlop Big Stubbies, 2mm and 3mm.

I noticed the Big Stubbies were a lot harder to spin out of position, so I took both sizes to the bass department for a trial run.

In the end, I grabbed the 3mm. It was less prone to flexing than the 2mm, and I could play quicker 16th notes with it. Also, it didn't feel too much thicker than the 2mm. I think the divot in the middle helps with this.

gebass6 likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Adding two more to my fat pick collection.
    A V-Pick Big Fattie.5.85mm V-PICKS-Big-Fattie-Guitar-Pick1-510x567.jpg

And a Wegen Fatone 5.00mm Wegen Fatone.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    coyoteboy likes this.
  3. gebass6

At this moment a Wegan 7mm is wending it's way to me.
    But the V-Pick and the Wegan 5mm have already arrived. Snapshot_20160809.JPG The Big Fattie has a crisp sound.
    But not as much as the Agate picks.

The Wegan 5mm sounds,looks,and feels exactly like a Dunlop PrimeTone.
    But costs more.So.......

4. gebass6

And the Wegan 7mm has arrived. Snapshot_20160812.JPG Snapshot_20160812_1.JPG

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Now that is a PICK!

gebass6 likes this.
  6. Looks like you could skip that across a pond!

gebass6 likes this.
  7. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I can't imagine that playing very comfortably.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Some people don't like them, but then you hear stories about Django Reinhardt, the most influential jazz guitarist in history along with Charlie Christian, using a 5 mm thick pick, and you hear him fly across the strings with it, and you start to think, well maybe there's something to the big thick hunks of pick.

FunkHead and gebass6 like this.
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's kinda what happens, the gigantic pick barely catches the string but mostly slides over it, so you get speed but i imagine less volume or dynamics.

it's heavy picks for me too, but i like them thin as i can get and still not really flex. 1mm clayton big rounded triangles work for me.

either way the idea is i control how loud or soft, bright or mellow the sound is by how tight or loose my hand and the angle i strike the string, as opposed to the floppy pick doing the same floppy thing no matter how i hit it.

gebass6 and JimmyM like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thickest I've been able to try is 3 mm, was not a huge fan but I liked it and may not have given it enough of a chance. Currently using 1.5 mm.

11. gebass6

After playing with this pick for a while,I find that there is a point of diminishing returns.
    It seems that after a certain point there isn't really that much of a change in tone from a 5.mm.

It's nice and meaty in my fingers,but I can say that this is the upper limit of thick picks for me.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  12. gebass6

Well it does have a deep indentaion in the center.
    So it isn't that overwheming.

13. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    With a thick pick you can always back off and play with a lighter touch. A thin pick just gets wimpy if you want to really give it a whack. This kind thing may be more important on a guitar or mandolin but it still gives you more control over the sound you want to make.

I tend to use a 1.5 mm or a 2 mm. I don't hit anything hard enough to deflect 2 mm

14. Mdrummey

Mdrummey

Oct 18, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    My fav pick is the V pick Large Lite. It doesn't really fall into the thickness of some of these other picks, but it really has zero flexibility. I find that it has helped me get the pick tone I've been after. I'm a big fan of Mike Gordon and Phil Lesh.

I've also been thinking about ordering the Telefunken triangular picks that are supposed to be like the famous Adamas (sp?) graphite ones.

Biggest problem with these V picks is that they are clear. Once you drop one on stage it's all over. Definitely recommend having a few backups

gebass6 likes this.
  15. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I havent dropped my V-Pick yet. Used pearly med. point yesterday. Super hot, sweaty gig.

16. gebass6

After all this time,I find out that these picks are called "Manouche"picks.

Thick Wegens,Dunlops and Dugains.
    Generally used by Gypsy Jazz guitarists.
    Fashioned after the picks that Django Reinhardt used.

Some recent acquisitions.(Except for the white Wegen 7mm)
    DjangoJazz and Dugain picks.
    Gypsy Jazz picks.jpg
    Duggie 5.jpg
    Favorite picks.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  17. gebass6

Some newer picks.
    Manouche.jpg
    Top row: Dugain SuperDug Galalith 3mm,Wegen Trimus TR350B,Wegen Trimus TR250B,
    Center: TimberTones Gypsy Tones Buffalo Bone 3mm,D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5mm.
    Bottom: Dunlop Primetone large round tip 5.0mm,Miller Galalith Delta 4mm,TimberTones Gypsy Tones Black Horn 4mm.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    nbsipics likes this.
  18. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    After I got my V-pick FLP, and Primetone 1.4 Triangle, I stopped looking

19. gebass6

Those are thin picks....not Gypsy jazz picks.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  20. gebass6

Insanity.jpg

coyoteboy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021