Thick Inflexible Picks.That's the way.

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by gebass6, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Wow! I've been absent from TalkBass for a while. Guess I'll "chime" in on this pick related thread. Gator Grip 2.5mm for my preference. Love the beveled edge for a smooth release, comfortable thickness, low fatigue due to no flex, and an easy grip.

netminderchuck likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. gebass6

OK.After a testing period(a sixteenth note drill)I've come to a conclusion.
    The three best picks(for me) are....
    The .178 Agate pick.
    The SikPik assortment pack.
    The 3mm Big Stubby. Snapshot_2015803 (2).jpg

Now.

Because the Agate pick is expensive,and the SikPik is basically inaccessible,I find that the Big Stubby is the best choice out of all.
    It doesn't feel as good as the Agate,but it is rigid and takes little effort to do rapid sixteenth notes.
    Plus the fact that you get six in a pack!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I like the Dunlop Adamas Graphite- 2mm I think. Absolutely no flex, and little click.

5. EclecticLady

EclecticLady

Oct 25, 2014
    SF Bay
    For when a pick is the only tool for the job, I prefer the 3 mm Dunlop tri-stubby. Big non skid divot in the middle, and they don't slip around.

Back in the neolithic when I was a teenager, I used quarters becuase I couldn't find any picks that were stiff enough. And I always had one handy.

6. gebass6

I once made a pick that was a quarter flattened by a 368,000 lb diesel locomotive.Good 'ol SP 5454.1334239694.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

On those few occasions when I use a pick these days, it'll usually be a Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm or 1.14mm. Occasionally, I'll use a Fender Medium on my Epi Viola Bass. It gives the flats on it a nice meaty snap on top when I use those.

I used to use some really nice picks I bought ages ago with Ampeg's name on them. They were heavy celluloids AFAICT. And they had a slightly unusual shape.

A fellow TBer pointed me to some picks offered on Carol Kaye's website that come very close to that same shape. I just ordered a bag. So hopefully they'll get close to those old Ampegs I miss so much.

8. Owens W

Owens W

Jan 29, 2015
    South Carolina
    I use Dunlops "jazz III max grip" picks. They're small, lightweight and thick. I hate using anything else.

Plus, everyone I've ever come across hates them, so I never worry about my picks getting stolen or accidentally pocketed.

9. Owens W

Owens W

Jan 29, 2015
    South Carolina
    pick.png

zontar likes this.
  10. gebass6

Gonna try those next.

11. I don't know, I really just started getting into using a pick seriously in the last few months and even a 1mm pick feels way to thick for me. Something along the lines of .7 seems best for me. I use alternating up and down strokes and I just can't seem to do it with a thick pick! Feels very unnatural and weird to me. If I was just playing downstrokes I could make it work but not comfortably. I don't get it. To each his own I guess.

12. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    I use the orange Tortex. Flexible, yes, but I grip very close to the point so I can strike the string with the tip of my thump to add thump at times. Gripping the pick that close doesn't leave much room for flex.

ScottMatt likes this.
  13. gebass6

The Chris Squire technique!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  14. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    Is that what he did?? I had no idea, awesome!

15. gebass6

16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Chico Ruger and gebass6 like this.
  17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I was surprised when I saw an interview with him and he said it was a unique technique. For one I thought it was well known amongst guitarists, and I've been using it for two decades on the odd occasion I use a pick on a selective basis to pinch out false harmonics which I thought was a cool effect on bass I had invented :)

18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Seriously, flint might work well, once sanded, so the Welsh are missing a trick. I don't recall Pino ever using a pick so they'd have to front the advertising with the Super Furry Animals... Or with Pino "if I used a pick I'd use of these"

19. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I was in the same boat. Always played finger style but my influences ( duff Mckagan, Paul Simmonin, dee dee Ramone to name a few are all pick players with the exception of Simmonin being both. Any way I still am primarily a finger bassist but I do quite often play with a pick. All depends on the sound I'm goin for and the band/ song I'm learning. It took me a while to find the right pick as I was using the yellow .73 cause that's what duff uses but it was the right one for me. Then I tried the orange Dunlop .60mm and those were to soft. So then eventually I bought Dunlop variety pack that came with all different sizes. Cost like $6.00 . Some picks had a grip some were soft some were real heavy.i cut it down to 3 picks I really like and I noticed that I kept picking up and using the purple.96 mm pick and I've stuck with that ever since. My advice to u would be to go to GC and get a Dunlop variety pack,try them all out until u find the one that suites you.

20. gebass6

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021