Thick Inflexible Picks.That's the way.

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by gebass6, Jul 6, 2015.

1. I'm experimenting with the 3mm Dunlop Big Stubby on the bass. It's the same pick I use on my L-4CES and ES-125 archtops (flatwounds of course).

I like the way it slides/glides off the strings so smoothly. Akin to using the side of a calloused thumb on up and down strokes.

Speed for effort expended is tremendous. I just hate the pick sound on the bass.

gebass6 likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I just ordered another 3mm Agate pick.Just so I can have two of that thickness.
    Agate Green.JPG

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    zontar likes this.
  3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Have you tried stainless steel picks?

That's what I use when I use a pick (extremely rarely).

But you've got me curious about these stone picks. Wonder how the tone compares to the steel....

4. gebass6

How thick are they?

I like these 3mm stone picks because the picking edge is rounded and it slips of the string.It's kind of like turning the pick 90 degrees and "Knifing"the edge.

Not flexing is one thing.If they are thin then they just hang up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  5. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I've been using these Dunlops because they're cheap (Amazon.com: Dunlop 46RF51 .51mm Stainless Steel Guitar Picks, 36-Pack: Musical Instruments) which are .51 mm. I switched from Fender because I didn't like the stamping or the price, but they come in a few different gauges - including Heavy which IIRC was a bit thicker than the Dunlops.

That being said, the edges are rounded and polished, and the natural low friction of steel means they slip around super easily.

gebass6 likes this.
  6. gebass6

Ordered a set of three.

7. I like the 3mm Big Stubby as well, and IMO the nylon ones are even better. They're not as durable as the normal big stubby, but the tone is less harsh and clanky. I've also been trying out the Dunlop Primetone and Jazztone (both 3mm), and those feel and sound great, but I can't get through two songs without destroying one. The primetone is a little better in that regard, and it's very inflexible. For reference, this is with light nickel-plated strings.

8. gebass6

Aaand!A wooden Koa pick is on the way! Koa Pick.JPG

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  9. Rmackner

Rmackner

May 1, 2015
    What about bone picks?! I have been using buffalo bone picks for awhile and have some pretty amazing volume with little effort. Just gotta deal with a bit of bone dust on your bass as they wear down lol.

10. gebass6

The stainless picks came ten minutes ago.They are stiff.Yes.

But they are very scratchy.Noisy against the windings.
    And,regretfully,I find that they feel just like thin picks.

They NEED the thick round tip of the Agate picks to slip off the string

11. gebass6

The green Agate pick came also.It's thicker than the red Agate and thinner than the swirled one. Snapshot_2015814 (5).jpg
    Snapshot_2015814 (7).jpg

12. Rmackner

Rmackner

May 1, 2015
    Sounds like you just explained a bone pick when talking about the agate. They're 3m thick some times more and are in the middle of a hard plastic pick and steel pick (sound wise). Bone picks are buffed leaving it feeling very slick but when you sweat it sticks to the bone for awesome grip.

13. gebass6

Can you post a pic?Or a link to a site?A brand?

14. Rmackner

Rmackner

May 1, 2015
    gebass6 likes this.
  15. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I stopped looking for picks when I found the 3mm Big Stubby. I don't use them very often anymore, but I can't use anything else as easily as them. They are easy enough to find at local music stores so you're never far from a supply of them.

I've tried the very large (3-5mm?) felt picks but they lose stiffness really fast, sound almost like a really percussive finger. Also have tried 1.5 and 2.0 mm Cymbal brass picks and they are exactly how you describe the stainless; scratchy on the windings, except zero flex (would probably use those with a really overdriven/distorted sound to get more bite and crunch).

16. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    They're certainly bright and clanky, but I use flats so I've never noticed "scratchiness."

Where do you get your stone picks?

17. gebass6

Unique Agate Guitar Pick Beautiful Picks Skull Tones Gem Art Frequency Stone | eBay
    1 Agate Guitar Stone Pick from Stokes Stones | eBay
    Timber Tones Agate Tone Guitar Pick Crazy Lace Agate Single Pick | eBay
    As I posted earlier,I prefer the thickest Agates.I find that they slip off the string easily.
    Especially when doing fast sixteenth notes.

18. gebass6

I like the Big Stubby because they do the deed.
    And they are cheaper than the Agates.

But there's just something about the thick Agate picks.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have a stainless pick very similar to the ones you got, and I agree 100%. Just don't care for them for those exact reasons. No matter how flat against the strings I play, there's always a little scratchiness.

Agates sound like they'd be cool, but the way I lose picks on a gig, no way I could ever use them.

Anyone ever use those gypsy jazz picks that are like 5 mm thick?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021