1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thicker! Heavier! Lower!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xikbastard, Jan 16, 2012.

1. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    how do u guys deal with gui****s constantly dropping tunes, and changing to ever thicker gauge, now both monkeys are at 13-62, its really messing up with my lowend and its all muddy.

they are obsessed with getting heavy and heavy and heavy.

what u do? Quit?

2. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    My guitarist uses something-60, but it mostly depends on what your setup is. What bass? What amp? Effects? A little more info would help.

3. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    just have them all get baritone guitars or 6 string basses and have everyone in the band play bass.....they might as well since they want to sound like a bass anyways :bassist:

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    they tune lower and take over the bass frequencies, you go higher and take over the guitar frequencies.

go piccolo!

5. I suggest adding distortion to your sound and simply drown the guitars out. I am sure that will be a catalyst to open dialog and a resolution to people stepping on each others toes, so to speak.

6. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Seems like it's going to get to a point where the guitars tune down so far that they make the bass player tune down....soon enough you'll just have floppy strings flapping in the wind with no tonal definition.

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
  8. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
  9. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    Presenting:...........Korn!!!!:bassist:

10. bass_walloper

bass_walloper

Aug 23, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it. They'll have you so quiet in the mix when you record that much of that muddiness will be gone.

Seriously though, my most recent experience with this situation was when we were playing a song in drop C and one of the guitar players complained that it didn't sound tight with the bass playing this really fast low riff along with the guitars and suggested that I not match the guitars note-for-note. I told him that of course it didn't sound tight, it's not going to with everything tuned so low (IMO), which he did really have a response to.

I left that band on amicable terms due to touring commitment issues, but it did solve the problem, so yeah, maybe quit?

I should also mention that I'm a guitar player as well and I never like to play anything lower than drop D, and usually E standard will do nicely.

11. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    going to get me some 175 stings and tune it to G# and just murder them with total mud

1 x guitar on a blackstar and 1x guitar on a bugera + orange (bi-amping)

12. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    In that situation I dial in my approximation of a 70s Prog bass tone

13. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    Dude, if you're using distortion in this situation, stop now. There's only a set amount of audial space that can be occupied. If you fill it, no-one will be able to pick you out of the mix.

14. There's nothing you can do except either convince them to stop EQing their amps so bass-heavy, or quit. There's nothing wrong with them using heavier strings and tuning lower as long as they EQ themselves like standard guitarists in a mix.

15. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    all i hear in the studio is basically mud right now.

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That crap is why I quit playing in heavy bands. If it doesn't sound heavy in drop D then it's not heavy. Tuning down to drop G isn't going to make it a better song.

17. Same problem back in tha day with heavy left handed fender rhodes keyboard players using amps w/ 2 15" speaks. ?? Who is playin bass in this band?

18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    SVT/Schroeder/Crown Macrotech 2400. I just pound them into submission.

19. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    It sounds like they want to take over the bass department.

Obviously, they don't really care a whit about the bass guitar in the band and should do without one.

20. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    This.