Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things to do... Things to play!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by flea claypool, Jan 2, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ok heres the deal

im pretty new to the whole bass playin[1year 5months :) ]
    but i love it!

so anyway my to best friends.... one plays drums one guitar
    so we thought heck start a band!!!
    so we cover alot of songs by a band called Biffy Clyro
    www.biffyclyro.com

and ya its fun but heres my problem......
    we did a gig the other night and it was our first major one that we had to take serious
    so bein in a pub we played everything lighter :spit:
    and our last song the crowd asked us to play it heavy and i was blown away!!! now our drummer wants to cover loads more biffy....

and the guitarist and i are both very open to music.....
    but the drummer is retarded!!!!!

so now we are trytin to find a balance between fun to play[biffy clyro is very basic] and easy to sing!!!

but we want funky but our drummer aint having it

so can anyone recommend a few bands to do?
    we were thinking the police cause there drummer is great and ours might agree!!!

Please help!!!! :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
    Thanks
    Aurin

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Muse - Your drummer will love it and so will you :)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know if Muse is in the easy to sing genre though.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Oh yeah, too true.

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    eye we have taken that approach but matts voice aint for us!!!

any other ideas

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm afraid if you want funky but your drummer doesn't... funk related genres won't be an option. Bass and Drums (IMO drums more importantly) create groove/funk.

IMO: Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers sounds like a pure rocker, but flea does the funk thing well over top, so they work out.

The Police are kinda Reggae rock, you might want to look into that aspect of music if the drummer digs it. Sublime is the first example that comes to mind, even some stuff by Madness has a great reggae feel to it. The Clash, Operation Ivy, Rancid... A lot of bands that got lumped in with ska sound more reggae than ska most of the time. Reggae is just slow ska (not really, but lets pretend), just please don't turn into one of those bands that yells, "Hut Hut Hut Pick it Up" during every damn song. ;)

But I don't know... I'd consider kickin' the drummer to the curb. If he doesn't want to move in the direction the rest of the band does, it might not work out. But thats the hard thing about best friends and bands... when the two combine, you are often on a road to destruction.

Make a deal with the band: Guitarist pick two new songs, Bassist (I'm guessing this is you ;) ) pick two new songs, Drummer pick two new songs.

Even if you/guitarist/drummer hate one or more of the songs... tough ****, you get to do two songs that you chose by yourself, no influence by other memebers. This will also give you guys a more diverse sound, your influences will start to really blend. And this will help you create your own sound and maybe go on to write originals.