1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Things you like best about your band?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bigfoot414, Mar 21, 2013.

1. After all the complainy-pants threads about things we really don't like about things people say or do to annoy you, I was curious about the things you like best about the people you play with.
    Either musically or personally, please enlighten me.

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    By and large we just get along, and when it comes to bands that's plenty. I dig the fact that it costs me no money and we're playing to appreciative, big, crowds, making original music. At 40, and as someone who has no interest in doing it as a living, it's pretty much ideal. The only thing I miss from previous bands is having a little more input in the songwriting, but I get to write my own lines, for the most part, so it's enough. I show up, have a great time, and don't have to worry about running things. It's pretty great.

3. Wil_Couch

Wil_Couch

Mar 12, 2013
    We have a really great rapport, and all have similar senses of humor. I look forward to practice every time. Not just because of playing music, but hanging out with some really fun guys.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    As for my originals band was always about making good original music with good people and musicians. Nothing, money, press anything out shined that. Although we are not real busy right now it is the best project I have been a member of to date.
    We recorded two albums I am very proud of.

My cover band is cool and it's fun to watch all the people dance. The music doe not thrill me but the guys are great and so is the pay. Another good thing about it is it is fairly busy and I want to keep playing.

5. Despite my grumblings that I often post here, there are a lot of things I do like about the band I'm in, at least with the current members.

Probably the thing I like the best is that most everyone is pretty level headed and understands that we are not going to Nashville any time soon. The only one who has any delusions of grandeur is the BL, and even he realizes that our opportunities are somewhat limited. His expectations are higher than ours, and sometimes it creates some friction.

Musically, I like the guys I play with. They're pretty good. We have one guitarist with no formal training, but he's got a boatload of stage time and experience and he plays very tastefully. He's my favorite one in the group. Plus he's pretty reserved and generally a nice guy. The other guitarist has extensive training and some crazy skills, but he's the quiet type and is also a very nice guy. The singer is the nit-pick of the group, but honestly having him there has made us better. The new drummer is good enough to play with most anyone, anywhere.

Practices have actually become enjoyable because this lineup doesn't fight and everyone knows everyone else can do their part.

Our practice space is convenient, clean, smoke-free, and cheap. No more huddling in someone's smoky basement feeling like I sucked down a pack by the end of practice.

None of the members are drinkers or drug users. No substance problems. A beer here and there, sometimes, but rarely.

Everyone is a regular Joe with day jobs and personal lives that don't include the band. That's really nice....to not be playing with obsessed people who understand that just because you're in a band with them it doesn't automatically make you their new best friend.

We don't have a problem getting offers for gigs, we actually turn them down. We could play probably almost every weekend, but we all want a couple times a month regularly, which we don't seem to have a problem getting.

We have nice equipment. The PA is high quality and we're not constantly dealing with old, broken down stuff that you never know if it's going to work or not.

I would have to say I like playing with these guys about 90% of the time. Every once in a while we have our little spats, but we get through it and move on. Recovering after an argument usually requires that I bring a couple pizzas to the next practice.....ha ha.......but honestly I don't mind.

6. DataDan

DataDan

Mar 18, 2013
    Reading,pa
    our lead guitarist. He is just always on.

And having a singer that makes it possible to cover zeppelin songs.

7. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    We get along, the guitar player is freakin' amazing, the drummer and I groove together like its nobody's business, we're all up for any challenge . . .

8. brumshine

brumshine

Apr 27, 2012
  9. hxcJORDAN

hxcJORDAN

Jan 16, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    Living with two of the three and having worked professionally with all of them. We get pissed with each other about song writing, scheduling shows, or just each others lives but no matter what, we're able to leave practice smiling and joking with each other. I couldn't ask for better dudes to headbang and posi-jump with.

They're some of my best friends.

10. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    This sounds familiar. The benefit of an ambitious BL is they'll work hard to get good shows and create opportunities that a more mellow BL might not strive to get. I know in our case the benefits definitely outweigh the cons.

11. Let me count the ways: They're smart, funny, ethical guys who are good musicians and dedicated band members (although it's understood that pressing day-job and family matters come first). We have a great song list that we've developed over long years together and we have fun playing together. Most of us are even politically simpatico, with one exception, but that's not a problem. We treat each other with respect. Nobody is a substance abuser. We've had occasional minor conflicts, but that goes with the territory. Absolutely the best band I've ever been in, and we've been together with almost the same lineup for 14 years.

12. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    My list has some overlaps with things folks said above.

1. Nobody has a substance problem.
    2. In rehearsal, everybody listens to others' comments and suggestions--about volume balance, tone, chord changes, rhythm. Nobody plays diva; we all school each other and learn from each other.
    3. Its very rare that anybody says something like, "I hate that song and don't want to play it."
    4. Best of all, for me: neither guitar player dumps a lot of bottom end sound into my register. They leave the low end to me!

13. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I have a couple of things that I really like about my band. First (slightly tongue in cheek, but still true), they think I'm great. I know, I have them buffaloed...
    Second, I have the pleasure of working with the greatest Country drummer in Mid-Michigan - in all of Michigan by many accounts. He is absolutely phenomenal, always prepared, always has the rhythms right, fills well, has a great ear and critiques gently and accurately. I just love this guy.

Frankly, if we had a better lead singer, lead guitarist, guitarist, and bass player, we'd be a better band. Oh, wait, that's always true...

14. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    I like when we write songs and they say, "play what you think sounds best". It's is great because it opens me up from root notes, I get to play solos, octave notes, and create my own groove. I've played in bands that want simple bass lines but being able to be creative really makes it challenging and fun! Another benefit is the no stress band practice, no set dates and times, we manage to practice at a consistent basis and no one gets mad about a night in with a significant other or plans have been made! Stress free is the way to be!

15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    That I don't have one! :p ;)

16. Our singer has a set of pipes, I've been playing with the drummer for 12 years so we get each other, and we're always tight.

We're also the only band locally writing music like we do, and I like to think we're good at it, so we stand out.

17. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    All four of us live together and have very different outlooks on life, but we make it mesh well. We each share in vocal and songwriting duties, play harmonies and strive to be as good as possible at our respective instruments, auxiliary instruments and even each other's instruments. Our drummer has been referred to as one of the best in the city. Our one guitarist started out with a lot of soul and a little talent, but has grown immensely both technically and soulfully in the three years that we've been playing together. Our other guitarist always seems to know how to write phenomenally complimentary parts and when she takes the lead on a song musically, it ends up sounding completely different than anything out there today in some of the best ways. I've also been told I'm a pretty good bassist.

We're very open and communicative and everyone is very committed while being down to earth. We do have delusions of grandeur and hope to do this for a living someday but are also all working day jobs with pretty good futures in them, we're also in talks about moving our living situation to an 8500 SF communal living space with built in 500 person capacity theater and no nearby neighbors to worry about sound ordinances. We hope to turn it into a cooperative living and art space.

18. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    We get along. Musically, we're tight. Thing I like MOST about them?

They're not dicks.

19. What I like the most about the band I'm in is that my bandmates are all experienced musicians who know what they're doing. They're all middle aged, with no illusions about making it in the music industry. We have a great time together, and best of all, we work as a unit. We're starting to get gigs now, and our future is looking good.

20. To put in my two cents: my bandmates are my best friends. We see eachother almost every day, because most of us go to the same school, and the guitarist lives across the street from me.

Musically, we like the same music, and we challenge eachother to play better everytime we drag our amps into rehearsal.
    Each of us has a different musical background, but we've found a common style of all kinds of influences and mix it into a unique blend.

We share all the good and bad times together, and we help wherever we can.
    Our drummer has some personal problems at the moment, and all of us do the best we can to help him not to fall to pieces.
    And we all love our alcohol from time to time, so even the worst hangovers are shared together.
    I consider this pack of twisted young men as my brothers, not just because we have the word Brothers in the actual bandname, but I see them more than my real family.