Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"This vs. That" bass threads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dude, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Why is this place always seem to be intent on "shootoff"?? This vs that.

It's all subjective isn't it??

Sure maybe your dad can kick my dad's ass but then I'd havta kick your ass so then we'd be even huh?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hmmm...good point. Makes you wonder why in a thread on Sadowsky preamps someone would recomend a J-Retro....or in a a thread on Metro's someone would recomend Joe Osbournes... :D ;) :)

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Secondly, some of you guys seem to be intent on comparing apples to oranges and jumping price points in your comparisons like a mofo. Is a $2,000 bass better than a $1,000 bass?? Umm lemme think about that a minute. I'd have to say that most (not all) are, yes.

Ummm lemme think...they both make "boom boom" and nobody really gives a crap what kind of "big guitar" you play on the back of a flatbed truck at a ribfest for $50 a man now do they?

4. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Iv noticed that a lot also ... seems to be the newer members that make these posts. When I first joined I was so overwhelmed by the sheer number of experianced bassists I wanted to ask things like that also. Fender vs G&L... Whats everyones take on Les... such as that... but thankfully I was a little bashfull... and instead just soaked up as much as I could. In less then a years time here on TalkBass... I have matured more as a bassist then I had my entire time playing otherwise. So theres more to it then just the shootouts. Besides, those shootouts hold a lot of information within when you look past the subjective opinions. O yea and to answer the post ... I think Dumb is so much better then Dumber, Dumb has more growl.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Alternative suggestions "within range" are cool by me but some of the X vs Y threads I've read over here are simply ludicrous.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I think the problem with the X vs Y type of threads is just down to how people interpret the "vs".

Some people seem to see it almost as a combat situation where there has to be a winner, and it better be theirs! On the other hand, if the "vs" is just asking for people's own experiences of X and Y so that sensible comparisons and better informed choices can be made, that's cool.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As I see it, there's two kinds of "vs." threads in Basses.

The first type is where someone is looking for constructive comments about two basses they're considering, like StingRay vs. P-bass. These questions tend to be focussed, and usually are a little more mature than...

The second type, which takes the form of "WicH iZ bEtr, WarWik oR oLP?". These are the free-for-alls.

Don't forget tolerance and respect for the opinions of others is usually a learned trait, and may not manifest itself until well into adulthood (i.e. after picking up a few scars on the road of life).

8. so while we are on the topic...
    which is better SX or Alembic?
    :D :p ;) :help: :bag: :ninja:

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +1. I've never got into this really, I see a point for the first type of vs threads though, however my GAS is focused purely on a Drozd so I'll never need a head to head thread, it's the money that I need lol. You should see what it's like on car forums every damn thread is a comparison and they're always stupid - eg a 1000bhp tuned NOS fuled Skyline vs a 600bhp McLaren F1. They just ask which is better, since nobody has driven either how is it possible to answer! Those don't compare anyway, one wouldn't be able to go round turns most probably. At least with basses you can usually find someone with experience of the instrument to give a sensible opinion.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    The aggressive "shoot-out" attitude bugs me, and the "apples vs. oranges" questions and unanswerable questions ("which would I enjoy playing better, this or that") amuse me, but the ones that really kill me are the ones so down into the minutiae level that I just want to say, "Get a life!!"
    You know-- I'm talking about the ones like,
    "What are the sound differences between: 1) a Jazz Bass with an ebony fingerboard, Rotosound flatwound strings, a Badass bridge, a Sadowsky outboard preamp, chrome knobs, Dunlop straplock buttons, sunburst finish, poplar wood, a brass nut, imported Austrian platinum alloy tuning keys, a vinyl strap, a Monster cable, a heavy Fender pick; and 2) a Jazz Bass with a maple fingerboard, GHS flatwound strings (with a G string swapped from a set two months older than the others), a stock bridge, a Retro preamp, big furry knobs, diamond-studded strap buttons, Minwax finish, balsa wood, a bone nut carved from a dinosaur fossil, a detuning key, a painted headstock, a vintage woven strap signed by Jack Casady, a wireless system and a gig bag I made myself?"
    :rollno:
    Just get a decent bass and practice, people!!!!
    There, I feel better now... ;)

11. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I totally agree with stuff people have said however ...
    you have to admit that they are kinda comical if nothing else.

What would TB be without a little nonsense. :smug:

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Is this thread inspired by the Warwick vs. Musicman thread I just saw further down? :)

Most people doing the comparisons dont' realize that alot of the time the basses they want compared are so far apart that it's not worth comparing.

"Hey guys, what should I get? A 4-string Jazz, or a 12-string Hamer?"

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i still miss "nICKthebassist "...

really , lighten up a little .
    this board is visited by pro's and beginners .

not everyone is gonna have something intelligent to say ,
    just look at my contribution to this thread , for example ...:D

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

I think it's all about how it SHOULD be "compare/contrast", but then some go down the "this better than that" road, and things get ugly, 'cause owners of "that" will get all defensive.

Lotsa' folks never get the chance to play one or maybe any of the (however many choices) they're trying to choose from, so they look to us for insight.

IMHO, I think this is good and appropriate. I think things just don't always go right, is all.

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That dilemma's been really keeping me awake lately... Glad to hear I'm not the only one. :bawl:

EDIT - Hey, Vic, I just noticed my "sub-title" thingy (under my username) is almost the same as yours ('cept you're Vic and I'm Bill...doh!) Sorry, man, I'll have a rethink...

16. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    So dude, what is better, an apple or an orange? ;)

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine

IMHO, ANY (number of) things can be compared (which includes contrast as needed, in my book). Depends on your view.

Often, you can't rank/rate/valuate something against another if they aren't "directly" comparable (in which case it's more of a contrast), but it's still a comparison, and is worth a LOT to some folks. I personally DO see the value in comparing, say, a Musicman to a Warwick, and describing the differences (as well as any likenesses they may have).

This kind of info is priceless to the folks who haven't had the chance to check them out, especially the newbies.

The trick is to stay as objective as possible (or use a lot of "IMHOs"). Just being aware that much may only be your opinion, your "right" could very well be someone else's "wrong", and that's the way things should be, is key. You can't go wrong that way.

IMHO :)

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Better for eating or juggling?
    It's all subjective, man...
    Personally, I've never tried either one, but the apple has glossier ads and my favorite famous eaters and jugglers all eat it, so I'll have to go with it.
    Just make sure you try it out in the store before you buy it.

19. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 for your -1 :p I see your point. My thinking when I wrote that is that when I see "yidda vs. yadda" threads, I usually look at the bass I'm least likely to want or need and then if IMO it is much different than the other bass, I don't see the point in comparing it. Ignant' on my part :)

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    And it's very important to make sure that when you try it out, you make sure it has fresh batteries, the skin of your choice, and is set up to your liking by your local grocer. If the stem is missing, that's something you have to decide if you can live with. Usually you can pick up new stems on Ebay, although the older the apple the harder it may be to locate and they're usually more expensive because of the vintage nature.

This is a topic for another thread, but I personally find it disgusting that someone would pay over $10,000 for an apple on Ebay just because it's supposed to be the one that hit Isaac Newton on the head.

Suckers.