This Website Is Not User Friendly!!!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by lloydjgoldstein, Jan 23, 2017.

1. When I logged on tonight I wanted to do one simple thing.
    1. Post a Classified Ad

I could not find anywhere to post! No hint as to how to create a new post and it wasn't until after many minutes of screwing around that I did a search for "how to post to classifieds" and found out from another user that I have to be a contributing member to post.

Fine! Then I spend another ten minutes searching for how to become a contributing member. This is absurd. Most websites, businesses, FB pages, everyone wants your money! Here, I cannot give it away. Incredible.

2. Left hand margin, under settings, see "account upgrades", it's there.

lloydjgoldstein likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Calm down. Your frustration is causing you not to be able to concentrate. I find navigating here simpler than most sites.

lloydjgoldstein and petrus61 like this.
  4. I found it, but it is not obvious. If TalkBass wants supporting members, they should place this at the top of the page. Also on the Classifieds page it should be stated clearly that one must be a supporting member to post, with a link to do that.

5. Glad you found it.

The site isn't perfect, nothing ever is.

That said - I am a bit stunned that someone who has been a member since 2006 was unaware about the supporting membership requirement for classifieds. Comes up regularly.

6. Dude, you live here

7. Paladin54

Paladin54 Rockin' the root...

Feb 3, 2012
    Michigan
    I can't say I disagree with what he says. I knew had to be a supporting member to sell my last bass but it did take me some time to figure out just how to go about doing the upgrade.

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! I might swing by from time to time.
    :D

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    It's actually really easy to navigate, and has a lot of great options... once you figure it out. Only took me about 6 years, but I'm slower with this stuff than most.

Ya know, I gotta agree that this forum is really difficult to navigate for newcomers - but I think we're all spoiled, as I do believe it to be the Ferrari of forums. I think it scares lots of people away too though. There are tons of bass players here, but it seems like 90% of the bass players in the world aren't. At least in my experience. I talk to bass players at gigs all the time and I've yet to run into an active member. I believe the complicated nature of this place has a lot to do with that.

But we've come to love it, and I'm fairly certain it ain't gonna change. I wouldn't really want it to.

JMacBass65 and lloydjgoldstein like this.
  11. I have not been active. That being said, if you wish to compete with FB or other media sites, this is not in the same ballpark. My opinion. I wanted to contribute. The biggest, easiest to see button (link) should say "Support" or "Become a Supporting Member". And the classifieds page should have instructions on How To Post right at the top of the page. These are suggestions. That's all.

Radio and JMacBass65 like this.
  12. Change can be very good sometimes

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    They told me that when they upgraded and made it really complicated :).

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I guess next you'll be telling us you didn't get you green jacket and key to the private sitting room either. Once you have contributed for a year you get matching slippers!

(None of the previous blathering has even a grain of truth. I am a total goofball and should be ignored at all costs. I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for and are able to place your ad.)

15. Agreed, and your suggestions are good ones. I do think they are constrained a bit though, as I think this is a "moderately customizable", yet "off the shelf" platform.

Could be wrong though.

16. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    At the very bottom right of every page there is a link with the heading in all caps "SUPPORT TALKBASS!"

/\/\3phist0 and lloydjgoldstein like this.
  17. Yeah, well, there you go. We are a bright lot, no?

image.jpeg

18. First time I have noticed it. Thanks everyone. I think this is enough. How do I close this thread?

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  19. If this comes up regularly, perhaps a note near the top of the Classifieds would be a good idea. Also, I just became active here today, after many years of not utilizing this resource.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  20. Thanks everyone! I was a bit frustrated when I wrote this. I appreciate your kind responses. I am ready to enjoy and utilize this wonderful resource. Cheers!