Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THREE string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by erik_hammarlund, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Go here:
    http://www.lowdownsound.com/usedgear.htm

Click on the picture of the Yamaha Nathan East bass. Look at the bottom of the picture (you can only see the top 20 frets of the neck). Isn't that a three string bass? what is it for? who makes it? who buys it? :confused:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think that Laggan lists a three string on their site.

I guess if you wanted something different. :confused:

There is a picture of Chris Squire somewhere that shows him playing a tripleneck Wal and one neck is a double course three string.

Maybe it's for the typical root note thumpers who play exactly what the guitarist does, but somebody on here has a three and a 9 string Bee bass :eek: which rules out that reason. So I am not really sure of the purpose.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yep, that's a Laggan for sure.don't know if the pic is still on their site, but here it is from my archive. I came really close to snagging that one.

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    That looks really cool--I don't think I'd consider buying one though.

So do you think it would have E-A-D tuning?

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Someone here has a pretty neat-o BEE 3 string.. post it!

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    From the head stock, it looks like a Read. Not sure though. Ive never seen one in person, but I sure would like too.

Tony Levin HAD a three stringer that died in a fire.

7. Tony had a custom designed Stingray 3 string he used when playing with his little "Funk Fingers" drum er bass sticks. This can be heard on some of the Peter Gabriel albums. If any of you have ever seen the classic SNL episode with P.G. as musical guest, Tony was using them for the song "Steam". I can't recall if he was using the three string or not. I was too stunned by watching this guy playing his bass with drum sticks, to pay attention. :eek:

8. Couldn't agree more. They could have left the camera on him the whole time :)
    3 strings would actually be a challenge. It would be neat to experience a different perspective on the instrument!

9. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Tony Levin must not be any good if he only uses 3 strings ;) (I AM KIDDING!!! )

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Psshhh forget Jaco, he needed 4, but tony could pull it off with 3! ;)
    I've never played a 3, but I don't really see any reason too, especially since I liek extended range basses. That Laggan almost reminds me of a Bass Shamisen.

11. I believe than man could play a one string bass and it would sound awsome! Of course I like him best with five or maybe ten ;)

12. Man, that looks like fun. I always enjoy playing horizontal vs. vertical usually.

13. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Ever checked out Atlansia's site? They've got everything from 1 to 6 strings! They're definitely... err... unique.

Atlansia Basses

I actually saw Joe Walsh last year, and his bassist played an Atlansia 1-stringer on "Rocky Mountain Way".

14. boo

boo

Oct 12, 2002
    Netherlands
  15. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The only 3 reasons for why someone would need a 3 string bass that I can think of are that someone wants to practice doing two string octaves quickly, someone who was somehow injured in such a fashion where they can only play a three string bass, or eccentric people who "just want to be different".

16. i've played 5-, 6-, and 7-stringed basses and i have a pretty good feel for what they're all about, but i prefer a 4 because i express myself better on it. i understand what can be done with more range, but i prefer to use a little less.

maybe someone likes a 3 because it has the right feel and the right voice for a particular musical expression.

robb.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Levin used the three-stringer because it made using the "funk fingers" easier with the wider string spacing of the three. I've also read of others who, because of the music they play, never use the G string anyway, so why bother.

Me, the music I play requires the availability of a low B and C, so I use 5's. While I can pull off a gig using a 4 if necessary, it loses a lot when the low B string isn't available. I have no need for a high C string, but had a 6 string bass before. The 6th string was only ever used when I was "playing around", it wasn't necessary. I guess some people feel about the G string as I do about the high C of a 6 string.

18. when that Wal was originally built, for Roger Newell who played with Rick Wakeman, that neck was a 6string guitar (the other necks being fretted and fretless 4's).
    when Wakeman gave the bass to Squire he restrung it as you say.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Greg-Bruce Campbell has a 3 string Bee bass he posted a while back.

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Thanks for the history lesson, I did know not the complete story :D