Thunderfunk arrives!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boomer, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    UPS did their best not to deliver it but I finally got it in my hands.

Going from an Audio Image Clarus 1 to the TFB-550 was quite an eye opener. Way too many knobs for me but thankfully the general consensus is to leave most eveything alone except Enhance and Timbre. I'm sure I'll do more knob twisting when the other cabs come.

Right now I'm running it through an Aggie GS112 but a GS115 and GS210 are on the way.

I dealt directly with Dave and can only say nice things about him and his service.
  2. You will love it! Even compared to my AI Focus Series II, it's so much more punchy, full and dynamic. I've yet to even touch the semi-parametric mids.
  3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Congrats! Christmas definitely came early. You'll love the TFunk. Please let us know your impressions after you've tried it through the other cabs and had some time to live with it, particularly in performing situations. The little beast truly shines as it slices through the mix.

Welcome to the Thunderfunk club!
  4. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Great amp, you'll love it...
  5. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I know how you feel ... I bought a TFB550 + AccuG Tri112L 3 months ago. You'll love the sound.

I would be interested in your initial experiences with the amp. I noticed that when the amp is shut off, it seems to discharge through the speakers ... there is a scraping rumble that occurs about 30 seconds after shutdown, that goes on for about 30 seconds. This has slowly gone away as I put more hours on the amp. Also, the power consumption was initially up to about 220 watts when the amp was on but not used ... it has since dropped to about 60 watts ...

....there seems to be a break-in that occurs with the electronics. I'm interested in knowing whether others notice this.
  6. Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I'm a firm believer in electronics, cables and speaker break in but I haven't noticed the phenomenon you describe. My 550 has been silent at shutdown so far. I don't have a way to check the current or voltage it is drawing and would never have thought to check either. I'll report in if anything changes.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not noticed anything like that with mine. Email Dave at Thunderfunk and ask him if that's normal...

8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    mine's as quiet as a church mouse. my Epifani UL head did what you described, and nick told me to get my butt ASAP back to his shop. fixed it right then and there.

but how did you know how much power the amp consumed? how are you measuring this?

oh, and yes, my TFB is the fo shizz. massive tombowlus bass borg / tommixx gushing stylie review to follow. :p
  9. +1... definitely something wrong with his TF, if he's really experiencing what he says he is.
  10. Lot's of TF reviews out there, but always fun to read another :D . The more I use this head and compare it to others, the more I like it... very punchy, intuitive EQ that's more than you'd ever need, interesting features like the timbre control and switch, etc. For me, it has the best 'weight to sound ratio' of anything I've ever played (including the WW). The build quality is also great... it feels 'boutique' but yet does not have a boutique price.

It's also a particularly good match with the EpiUL line, and from what I've heard, also with the Accugroove line. Wonderful piece of gear for the money, and one of those rare heads that has a great 'plug and play' sound on the gig.
  11. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    That's one head I'll never sell (of course I said that about the TFB420 before the 550 came out...)
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's been more than a few years, and I'm still having a love fest with mine.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

but i used the TomB reference cause i'm planning on comparing it to my UL502 and iAMP heads. should be massively fun. ;)
  14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

What do you think about it paired with a Shroeder 1210?

We've been so happy running the 1210 with an AI Focus, no eq changes at all, but can't help but feel curious about the Thunderfunk!

Anyone who likes the AI Focus please chime in with your opinions!
  15. As with most cabs, the TF will give you quite a bit more punch and presence vs. the Focus. The 1210 sounds very good with the Focus (actually the best cab for the Focus IMO that I've tried), but IMO it sounds better with the TF... not necessarily more volume, but a more solid attack and better, tighter low end.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's pretty cool... and pretty rare when something like this lives up to what might seem like hype. I've been talking it's predecessor up for years and it was cool to see them finally catch on years after they went out of production. They're all workhorses and IMO IME almost too easy to use... if that's possible. I've yet to be disappointed by these amps live.
  17. +1 in a big way... and the newest 550 is significantly improved over the originals re: headroom, quiet operation, features, build quality, etc. Just amazing amps.
  18. I'm enjoying mine very much. Need more play time but so far it's been great. Congrats this is a great amp.
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I run a TFB420 and Schroeder 1210 as my primary rig anymore. It works exceedingly well both for DB and electric. I really can't much imagine using anything else these days. It's a potent protable killer combination and I've yet to find anything I don't like about it.
    Pretty cool that both vendors hang out here, are easy to talk to and stand waay behind their products.
    I'm a happy camper and go out of my way to recommend both pieces of gear.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My AMPs are almost eerily quiet and the two I own were built in the late 80's and between them I've had one issue... the power switch got stuck in the "On" position. I really like my TFB but I took my AMP on a gig tonight and it still sounds amazing, especially compared to everything else I've tried. Not really wanting as far as features goes... it actually has more than I need.

If the 550 really is a significant improvment, I guess I need to check one out.