1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TL-606 owners unite

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzbassArt, Mar 19, 2009.

1. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Keith, post some pics, I bet they look great.

And I've got an Altec 421A I'm not using if anyone's interested...

2. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I just replaced that Kilomax Pro that came in my 606 with the 3015. HUGE improvement. Bonus, I dropped 16 lbs off the cab.

Anyone need a 1250watt, 15", subwoofer speaker? LOL!

3. edervjo

edervjo

Nov 19, 2009
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    I built these cabs 25 years ago, and they still sound great today. Power, clarity and punch cutting through , even outdoors where others will whiff out.

Attached Files:

4. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    I built a pair back in the late 80's..covered them in grey rat fur.
    Where are they today? Who knows? Maybe they will show up here:)

5. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    90k,
    you didn't happen to sell those grey rat fur TL's in Kansas City, did you?

6. Say, anyone seen this cab? I think it was produced by EAW. I don't remember the model#, but it seems similar to the TL-606... I'm not 100% hip to this particular subject, so my question may be pedestrian, or even downright uninformed...

And that's a JBL 2205J (I think) in there: 300w, 8 ohms.

EAW15Cab.

7. FWIW, as there is another thread about it (featuring yours truly), the cab is an EAW VB-125, thanks go out to RickC. I'm sticking a Kappaplite 3015 in it...

8. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    in the process of building a pair out of 12 mm birch ply. gonna be loaded with eminence kappa 15a's and 3" faital pro mid speakers (coupled at 1,5khz or 2,5 khz or off, 3 way switch!)

I will enlengthen the port so the tuning will drop to something about 45-48htz which the kappas like a lot better. I'm hoping to have a pair of lighter orange-obc like cabs with better off center high mids and highs in the end. hope I get em done til april or so.

Attached Files:

TinIndian likes this.
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Nice! I still use mine as my practice rig in our band room. It's a MESA Road Ready. The original speaker was long gone in mine so I installed an Eminence 3015 in it. Really works well.

Like the addition of the mid Speaker in your build.

10. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    it's the smallest mid I could find, I would have used a 6" but where to fit that one in a tl606? :-D

I got those from www.hirschfelder.net he uses them in his cabs and sold me a pair of the faitals and the crossovers :)

look in there for maybe some cool ideas what cabs can look like if you don't just use black tolex :-D

TinIndian likes this.
  11. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    so we changed the port length on saturday, finished the baffle incl. the volumes for the mids, glued and screwed the baffle in and rounded the corners. now I'm waiting for a friend of mine to wrap the cabs in oxford cloth.

Attached Files:

B-string, BillyB_from_LZ and rodl2005 like this.
  12. Digging up this corpse to show some TL606 love! I’m using mine constantly, and love the sound they make.
    One cab has a 15L, the other a 15B. If I’m using only one it’s been the 15B lately. Meaty and loud.
    I figured I’d 3015 them but it hasn’t happened yet!
    5C0A830B-18FF-4DEC-87FD-E407CD09624B.

13. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I still use my MESA Road Ready TL606 every week at rehearsal, sometimes bring it out for gigs. I do have a 3015 in mine but that's because it had a Kilomax Pro in it, original speaker was long gone.

Chickenwheels likes this.
  14. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I have a pair that I build from the published plans with EVM-15L, iirc . . . Initially they were used biamped with a horn for small gig PA, and then used for side fills (still with the horns) and when I recently acquired a Mesa Bass 400+, got married to that. No plans or desire to change speakers . . .the cab was designed around these, and they can easily be reconed if anything happens. (And I also have a pair of unused NOS EVM15 ProLine's on the shelf . . .) I also love othe way the EVM's sound ...