1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TL-606 owners unite

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzbassArt, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Wow. Great deal. If you decide to lose the EVBs, write me. I could use a set of backup speakers.

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Care to give a review after a good test-drive? I'm considering a couple 606's myself...and a B1500, too. I'd like to hear how the combo sounds.

/other cabinet option is an Acme. We'll see.

3. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Just wait - Uncle Interceptor's got more stuff to disperse...

4. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I'm sad to see those leave the state without ever hearing them. Oh well, they're probably not too different than my Mesa Diesel 2x15 with 15Ls in it. I've since swapped out the EVs with 3015s (yeah I'm an old guy). I like both drivers. The EVs were very middy with some grit. The 3015s are fuller and cleaner but still ballsy and it's nice to have less weight and more power handling. For those with better PA support (I usually have none) and who rock harder than I do the EVs are the way to go. I can't quite bring myself to sell mine.

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Glad you got 'em, Liam...that was an incredible deal!

Kim

PawleeP likes this.
  6. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    You blokes are mind readers as well as Bass Players... ( same thing in a band is it not? Well the rest of the band think your a mind reader...) TL606 with 3015LF when the time comes, looks like it is a good match from the gist of this thread. Looking to build a GB Fearful or a few more TL606's, what do you blokes think? Want a solid bottom sound, though i ( will ) play 4 string most of the time, also 5, 6 and 8 string basses through the cabinets. Interested in what others think in regard to overall likely sound, Regards John

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    TL-606 built to spec has a smaller internal volume than a fEarful 15/6, so it's more amenable to 3015 than 3015LF. And 3015LF doesn't have much going on in the upper midrange either, as it's meant to be used with a dedicated midrange source.

8. Bill A. Moore

Bill A. Moore

Feb 2, 2009
    The first EV cabinet I built was a TL606 with a EVM-15B. We showed up for a jam shortly after I built it, and our band supplied the bass amp, and the monitors. My wife had her BG-250 head on the little TL606, and it sounded great. Another bass player that I worked with before chewed me out for not bringing a real amp setup. When it was his turn to play, I was also playing(drums), he kept looking at the thing while he was playing. After the first tune he told me, "that thing will blow your pant legs". The following week he came by the house, and I gave him the plans, and sold him a EVM-15B speaker.
    As far as the TL806 series go, I think they're a little light for a bass player. I built a 2 speaker setup,(1/2 TL806Q) that I used for mid freq. mains back in our R&R days. I am currently using one for steel guitar with EVM-12S's, and my wife has also played through it. The low freq. is only 50hz, but with the mid boost of the 12S, it works pretty good for guitar.

9. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Many thanks for the information GB, must admit to being lazy and not looking up the volumetric differences, obliged to you. Mids will be not so much an issue on the usual 4 string playing, maybe the 5 will not be troubled all that much either as it is the low B i am seeking in the 5 string format in regard to. The 6 and the 8 will need a better purpose intended cabinet like your well thought out fEarful 15/6. After typing the last sentence the solution is obvious is it not, need to build a 15/6 to cover the 6 and 8 stringers. Mix and match, as i have 2 by TL606 already and one or two 15/6 would see me covered for most of my ability and gig venue sizes.

Plan on building some 150-200 watt tube heads though i note the modern 3015 and 3015LF will not be pushed to the nominal power rating at this power input level ( understand well the amp to cabinet power match issues ), just i wanted to keep the heads at a managable weight for carrying. All tube head with 4 by 6CA7's is my ideal and well proven gigable bench mark. At that power the physical properties of mass and volume are easly managed.

Very interested in "Passinwinds" work as i can feel at home with his thinking and practical hands on efforts, especialy in passive crossover for one amp one cabinet situations. Active crossovers are ideal though not very practical or attractive to me at this stage. Can see the merit in sorting the passbands and overlaps with active and then translate to passive as much as is possible given slopes and different dring amplifier characteristics.
    Hope i make sense.
    Regards John

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've got a passive crossover I swap onto my 15/6 sometimes. Some of those times are when I use an old Fender tube Bassman, 100 watts. Works real good and gets nice and loud.

11. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Always glad to read of validation for thoughts or applications from experienced persons, 100W and it is ok on the 15/6, am encouraged.
    Thank you, John.

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I will be coming through WI on tour this summer, so maybe you'll get to hear them then! ;)

Obviously I need to try them out before committing to using them on tour ... I just got back to Nashville from picking them up this afternoon.

What great people ... met me halfway, in Bloomington IL. And the cabs look so much better than the pic (and the pic doesn't look shabby at all!). These look like they were built *yesterday*. Can't wait to plug-em in.

Cheers,
    Liam

13. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Okay, here is a cameraphone pic of the 2 x tl606 with my B1500 in my practice room:

[​IMG]

I only had time to play for literally about 2 minutes, with everything set flat on the B1500 except a bit of treble cut, and using my P bass. Initial impressions are that this is very warm and full, with good mid presence but without the big midbass hump that, for example, my Carvin LSx1503 has with its stock driver. I'll put the treble flat next time I get a chance to play, and will mess with EQ some. But the stock, basic tone with the B1500 set flat is *very* usable. I can already tell they will be perfect for blues and country and classic rock. I can't wait to use this stuff live after I get the chance to wring it out some.

Jim, thanks again for passing these on to me. They will make a lot of good music here in Nashville and beyond, and will have a very good home. :)

14. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Oh, and for kicks, here's the stack with my PBass plus the Sunn 200s 215 folded horn cab I picked up from Jaymi last week here on TB. Couldn't pass up either of these deals! The Sunn is still unloaded. I have a couple of Kappalite 3015s that were destined for it (on Eminence's recommendation). We'll see if they wind up in the 200s or in the TL606s!

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Liam

PawleeP likes this.
  15. Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    This brings me true joy.

I used them for a couple of years playing country and acoustic rock. Worked great with every amp I tried. For some real fun, plug the center section of the port shelf and kick up the low end a couple of clicks. That's how I usually ran 'em.

They also really like tubes. Try a Bassman, V4B or old Sunn.

I'll miss 'em, but my knees said no more.

16. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, Jim, thanks. Is that what the EV docs refer to as a "step-down port cover" or something like that, to lower the cab tuning? IIRC, if the step-down plug is used the F3 moves higher (so the response starts rolling off a bit higher), but the box is supposed to be responsive to low bass eq boosts to compensate, or somesuch?

Thanks again!

Liam

17. Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Liam - you've got it right.

Try adding in 3-5 dB at a shelving point of say 80 Hz. To my ear that gave a near perfect bottom for a J or P four string.

18. DANG Liam!..Those are some good looking cabs!

19. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks, man. :)

Hope to throw some speakers in the Sunn soon.

Liam

20. I have a pair I built back in the early 90's, loaded with EV's being used for PA duty mostly these days. Now I wonder how 3015's would sound in them????