To return or not to return…

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain Chaos, Oct 25, 2021.

1. I just got a new bass and it’s got two imperfections, you can’t tell unless you look really close. Other than that it plays amazing and has great tone. What would you guys do?

FAFBECEC-DB62-4FC8-B677-01053550CF13.jpeg
    5E7019A7-B6F0-41EC-AE7B-1F5F2234FCFA.jpeg

2. west al

west al Road Rex Supporting Member

What kind of bass is it?

JohnnyChatter and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. Fender player Jazz bass with flame maple top

4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    It sounds and plays amazing? Keep it.

5. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    It would bother me, but if I was happy with the tone and playability, I’d get over it.

6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    There is an expectation that there should be no imperfections when a consumer buys a new product. With that being said, exchange it for one that does not have imperfections. It really is that simple. :thumbsup:

DirtDog, Wicked G, MonetBass and 3 others like this.
  7. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Also, I own one of these and mine has zero imperfections. It plays, sounds, and looks wonderful. You should settle for nothing less if you are the original purchaser.

JBBB.jpg

8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Oh what a lovely bass :) @Warpeg.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Warpeg and SixtyCycleHum like this.
  9. OldSchoolFlats

OldSchoolFlats

May 29, 2021
    I would go with my own subjective take. If it really annoyed me, I would return it. If I was "feelin' the love" I would keep it.

lomo, Ggaa, Gearhead17 and 3 others like this.
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    If I felt it was necessary to get the opinion of others, I'd take that as a sign that I was leaning towards returning it.

11. Would live with it - And, I would ask for a discount.

She's freakin' gorgeous!!! :thumbsup::bassist:

lomo, Tommyc, grrg63 and 24 others like this.
  12. Ihaveshingles

Ihaveshingles

Dec 24, 2018
    Maybe on something more expensive you should expect that guarantee, not for $799....
    Why is everybody expecting flawless instruments for under 1K these days?

Edit: $679 at GC

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  13. JDA04OSU

JDA04OSU Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    I might be able to live with minor blemishes on a relatively low budget instrument. That said, it should absolutely be the expectation of the buyer of a brand new instrument that it will be mint, unless advertised otherwise (B-stock, floor model, etc). And in fairness, $700 is a substantial amount of money to many people. As others have said, it just depends on your tolerance level. If it’s not a huge hassle to exchange it, you might as well.

14. Sounds and feel A-OK? Keeper :)

15. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Good playability and good tone trump cosmetics for me. You are the winner by having playability and tone iMO. Sooner or later you'll put your own marks on it anyways. I think Ihaveshingles has it right.

16. I'm with you on this exactly, if were purchasing this Jazz. Well said.

17. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I agree with @OldSchoolFlats. And maybe try to get a discount if you keep it.

BTW: I don't think price should be an excuse for issues with a brand new instrument, just keep expectations realistic - and I don't consider your Fender cheap.

I did buy a cheap new Harley Benton PB-20 for € 89 ($100).
    Cheap tuners (although they keep in tune fine), cheap bridge, cheap stock strings, cheap pots, the pickguard had some rough edges, etc.
    I expected this and did some upgrades, a complete setup and it's a pretty decent instrument now.

But the finish looked fine, no blemishes whatsoever - and those would be a lot harder / more expensive to fix.
    So I wouldn't except issues with that.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  18. Gormsgade

Gormsgade

Jun 17, 2005
    Denmark
    If you're in doubt, you're not in doubt!

19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'd contact the seller and ask for their opinion on the matter and the options they'd offer.
    Maybe a discount, maybe throw something in to sweeten the deal (strap, cables, strings), or a return.

See what they offer and ask yourself then.

smogg, perfektspace6, dannnnn and 4 others like this.
  20. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I would run it through my tree chipper in a fit of rage.:woot:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021