TONAL ADVICE

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hindu Garry, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Hindu Garry

Hindu Garry

Jan 28, 2019
    Cheshire, UK
    I'm putting this out there and if anybody has the time to take a listen and offer any advice critiques on my tone in particular it would be massively appreciated.

My set up is a VOX custom 3002 bass, Warick WAMP 380, Ashdown 4x10 and on my board I have a FEA Labs DE-CL and a EHX Soul Food drive pedal.

The Vox has a number of different pick up options (series, parallel and split coil) and I've been favouring the neck pick up in what I think is the parallel mode (It's cetrainly the loudest with the greatest bass response.
    My issue and why I'm posting here is that I'm struggling to get an even response from the low E string, it's got so much more body and hence it's getting compressed harder than the other strings... it might be in my head but to me it almost sounds like a different instrument.

I've even changed up some of my lines so I'm just playing on the E string in order to try and get the sound consistent and in other songs I've avoided using it all together. I've spent most of the day working on the bridge pick up where I feel it's not as apparent and tweaking EQ to try and balance things out. That being said I much prefer the rounder tone of the of the neck Pup and it works well with my pick playing and the fact I play quite close to the bridge.

I'm attaching a link to the gig i played yesterday, if anyone has time to listen and share their thoughts I would be very grateful. (This is recorded FOH and the bass is D.I with o mic on the cab so you're just hearing my guitar and pedals maybe so FOH EQing but i'm not sure tbh)

(I've put a comment on the song where I think you can best hear what I'm talking about)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. Hindu Garry

Hindu Garry

Jan 28, 2019
    Cheshire, UK
    Bump

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021