1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tool Brands

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Truktek2, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Dewalt

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Makita

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Which tools do you guys prefer? Dewalt or Makita? Why? I've heard varying opinions on both.

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Makita for me. Dewalt makes excellent tools too. I think my preference is in term of what I use my tools for. I tend to work in tight corners or move around stuff a lot, so the general lightness of their tools fit me well.

3. This is probably not of much consequence today, but I used to sell tools at a box store in college. At the time the Porter Cable cordless drills consistently out performed (in terms of "rated" power vs real world effectiveness) the other brands. We sold more Makita brand drills, though.

Mike

4. Tama

Tama

Nov 19, 2008
    Bugtussle
    We use Dewalt at work. They are priced pretty good & hold up well.
    Dave

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    You should have put Milwaukee there.

6. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    You're right. In hindsight I guess there are many good brands out there. I just figured those were the two most popular? Maybe I shoul've just asked what tool brand you guys you think are the best. I would change the poll, but now the results would be skewed :(

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Either makes a good tool, I prefer the Makita's as they have better batteries IME. But I wouldn't turn down a good tool from either brand.

8. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Different tools, different brands.

Corded drills: Milwaukee
    12V cordless drill: Panasonic
    (I have an old 9.6V Makita that still works great)
    Jigsaw: Bosch
    Routers: Porter Cable
    Sanders: Porter Cable
    Biscuit Joiner: Lamello

I have a couple of friends who own Festool--very nice stuff but pricey.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true... Porter Cable Routers are excellent, and so is a Bosch Jigsaw, but between the two I'll take Makita blue anytime. Nothing against Dewalt.

10. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Used some brand new Dewalt 12v drills recently. The forward/reverse switch died on the first really fast. Nothing against Dewalt. Everyone has a bad one get out the door sometimes. And around here it's Deee-walt.

I prefer Bosch though. Only Fastenal stocks them around here. I like Craftsman too. Our table saw, one of the miters, and planer are all Craftsman.

11. It depends on the type of tool

circular saws = always have used Makita
    saws all= Dewalt
    cordless drills= Portercable
    Compound miter saw= Bosh
    hammer drill =Milwaukee
    sanders=Portercable
    scroll saw= Skill

12. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    My brother in laws' a contractor, and he prefers Makita for weight and battery life, and Bosch for general quality.
    I buy whatever feels best for me at a reasonable price, usually Dewalt, although I like the looks of Porter Cable, just not the price.

13. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Can't say enough good about their saws. I myself witnessed a seasoned construction worker going across a commercial concrete slab (500 sq. ft. and up I guess), cutting all his joints with a consumer-level Makita saw. The thing never even seemed to give up.

14. ^ I've used Makita saws for residential construction because they're a bit lighter, and you can't get shocked in pouring rain being they're double-insulated.

15. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    From my experience Makita drills will outlast anything.

Back before chinese furniture imports we used to manufacture the little feet that go on the bottoms of sofa's. did them in batches of 2-5 thousand, each of them needs a lag screw in the top which we used to have to put in, and no other drill would last a day of constant work except a Makita one, even they would be worn out after a few days.

We ended up just using the cheap drill and chucking them away at the end of the day instead :p

16. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    They are the best.

17. Neither, ha ha!

18. I have both a plug in and battery powered drill by Dewalt both are great. Never had any problems with either.

19. if you gotta work with them all day dewalt,hands down...where i am they are so common so you can at least find a battery in a pinch

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    My cordless stuff is Craftsman.
    My corded stuff is Milwaukee.
    My air powered stuff is Snap on and Ingersoll-Rand.
    My hand tools are Snap On, Mac and Matco.