1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Top-notch Carl Thompson on eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ffutterman, Oct 13, 2010.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
  2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool! I remember reading about this bass years ago

In this economy, I don't see it fetching even $10,000 though...looks like amazing work though, that's a shame, Carl put a lot of love into building this bass. I'd love to play it.

4. I remember that bass. Carl sold it on ebay when it was finished and I believe the buyer was some rich kid. He couldn't have been any older than 20 or 21. I think the final purchasing price was $10,000, so the seller might be a little unrealistic thinking he can make a 5 grand profit off of it.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    is it any good?
    It sure looks interesting, but does it play well, set up easily, stay in tune... all these things.

6. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Given that it's a Carl Thompson, my guess is yes. His bass necks are angled back slightly, so they feel more comfortable to play (note: this is just what I've read. I've not been fortunate enough to ever get my hands on a CT). They're also incredibly well-balanced, and I've even seen a picture of a guy with a CT sitting horizontally on his leg with no assistance. To further help with weight, he usually uses lightweight Hipshot hardware as well. Again, all this is just from what I've heard. I'd love to actually play one some day, but that's not gonna happen for at least a good number of years.

7. They sure are interesting basses. I hate to say it, but they all look like some kid made them in shop in high school to me, but that's just personal taste I guess:D

8. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    Yeah, a $10,000 bass better be able to play itself. And me.

9. Nice piece of art, but insanely expensive for a one trick pony at even a 1/4 of the price.

10. brettson

brettson

Feb 25, 2009
    I'd rather have 10-15 basses than spend that much on one bass.

11. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    He must be crazy not to have any more pictures of the bass.. for a $15,000+ bass I would think any serious buyer would want to.. you know, see it in detail? :rollno:

And I have to agree, I'm sure the basses are nice, but they really don't look like anything I'd want to play. Especially for that much cash.

12. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    +1,000

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd be willing to bet if someone did buy it for that price, they'd know exactly what they're getting already, and probably have the dough to throw around for a few more CT's if necessary.

14. WaskoDS

WaskoDS

Nov 22, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    Definitely an upper extreme for Carl Thompsons on eBay. Then again, this is the "fabled" $10 Million Bass. But given the site even says it was $10,000, sure seems like a bit of a rip-off. Hell, with no pictures other than that wallpaper, I'd almost venture to say this is a scam, and whoever's "selling" it doesn't actually have it.

15. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    That's what I was getting at, I'd think some pictures other than a link to the site would be helpful in proving the auction is authentic

16. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
  17. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ......wow.......just laughable. :rollno:

18. My buddy owns a CT, and yes it does play very well. The action was set very low, and its natural unplugged tone was very woody. Probably the most surprising thing is how light those basses are. Based on the photos I had always assumed they were heavy instruments, but that's just not the case. My friend's CT is possibly the lightest solidbody bass I've ever played.

Considering how much Alembic charges for their instruments, I think Carl Thompson basses are generally a great value. The so-called "$10,000,000 bass" has a steep price but it also represents the very best work Carl Thompson can produce.

I too find it suspicious that the seller did not post any extra pictures. It's easy to find lots of great pictures of that bass from the CT website, but it would sure be nice if the seller could have posted some of his own photographs.

19. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Given that the seller would "strongly prefer" the buyer pick up the bass in person, a scam seems unlikely.

20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    CT basses are what they are and cater to a pretty specific range of player/collector. Who knows, this time of year there may be some people out there with some extra good coin in their pocket that would love to have this bass;)