Trace Elliot............ewwwww!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Sep 3, 2009.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Was in a rehearsal studio a couple days ago and there was a TE 1x15 combo with a TE 4x10 connected. Neither unit had tweeters! No matter what I tried, I still couldn't get any 'semblance of 'high end' outta that setup! I have played non-tweet' setups before and I was able to get at least a little high eq snap but this rig just sucked! Anyone have any similar experiences with this or any other brand rigs??

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The old saw "never judge the quality of a brand based on experience in rehearsal studios" comes to mind here.

The rehearsal studios we use has a bass rig in each room. These include Eden, Ampeg, Ashdown, Trace - just about anything they can get their hands on cheap, I suspect. The rigs have ALL been abused by musically useless kids with cloth ears and not much in between, and they ALL suck.

3. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    You should have just used one or the other of the cabinets.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

LOL!

I mean, if I wasn't doing any slapping, there wouldn't have been an issue but plucking a high E on the G string was almost non existant. Was as if I played it fingerstyle! :rollno: Horrible!

5. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    To each his own. I turn the tweeter down on every cab I own that has one. I even rewired my Bag End 4x10 with a switch to defeat the tweeter. This was all prompted by switching from a solid state preamp and a Crest CA9 to an Ampeg SVT (non-pro) and a Fender Studio Bass all-tube head. I found the harmonic richness of all-tube amps in the high midrange to overwhelm the tweeters and come across shrill. With the solid state gear it wasn't so much this way, and I could control the high end on the preamp and still make use of the tweeter.

One of the several cabs I have is a TE 1153 single 15, with no tweeter. It has a Celestion driver (supposedly with Kevlar fibers in the paper cone) that is very flexible compared with many other 15's, such as JBL's, which are constructed from thicker, stiffer paper/cardboard. It produces highs up to about 5KHz very smoothly, and sounds clear, crisp and full with an all-tube head.

Tom Bowlus, editor and founder of Bass Gear Magazine reviewed this cab favorably against other single 15's that had tweeters and/or midranges:
    http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/1x15-shootout.html

So, my point here is not to disagree with you or challenge your opinion, but to say that different amp/cab combinations can make all the difference. I think TE cabs w/o the tweeters are among the fullest, and punchiest cabs I have played through. But I play fingerstyle almost always and really don't dig slapping unless it is subdued, generally using flatwounds on a P-Bass (THE sound of Disco/Funk styled 70's slapping...Ready Freddy Washington style....not that I can play anywhere near his talent level).

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hear you and I like my slap sound the same way! Not a fan of that high eq shrill sound a la Mark King! Ugh! This rig just wouldn't give me anything and that's with the highs boosted ALL the way! Nothing!! I mean it sounded really muffled! I've never known 10's to not give up any high end at all. I owned a GK 4x10 w/out a tweet' and it sang perfectly for me!

7. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I hate tweeters, and I can't stand "slap and pop" bass guitar either.

Different strokers.

8. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    I feel the same way about Mark King's tone. He is absolutely one of the most talented guys out there, but that super snappy, high-end zing, just sounds harsh to my ears. Again, to each his own.

9. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    My Trace Elliot is never lacking in high eq. But then again, the Trace at our rehearsal studio is pretty horrible for some reason.

10. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    This happened to me once while trying out an Ashdown Mag combo in a pawn shop. No matter what I did, I couldn't get any highs at all. It just sounded dull and lifeless. I decided that something was defective in the amp or eq.

11. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I went to Iceland and had about 3 weeks of playing everyday for a church band trip. Took my MM Stingray 5, GK 800rb and asked to have a 410 provided. Got to the first theater and what was waiting; a TE 410 w/o tweeter. I was a little worried but once we got plugged in and started playing, I thought it sounded very good. Sure, it didn't have that sparkle, but that thing cut through the mix very well. And that was playing in churches, theaters and outdoors, you name it. I was actually a little bummed to see it go when it was time to come home. Never had any problem hearing the high notes though. IME

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1

Tweeters are the most useless thing ever put in a bass cabinet...of course in my own opinion. :smug:

13. bluevoodoo

bluevoodoo

Dec 15, 2007
    minneapolis
    +100%

They call it a bass guitar not a treble guitar. I never use my tweeters unless the room is booming like crazy already.

14. Is this by any chance Robannas??

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The most useless thing I ever saw put into a cab was a melted Sugar Daddy bar.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I saw a keyboard player load his box of floppies (yes, they did use them at one point to load sounds and samples) into the back of an open-back guitar cab for load. Needless to say, those magnetic discs were useless when it came time for us to play that night.

17. I used to play TE gear back in the day and never had the issues that the OP had. My guess is that the amp was not 100%. Loved that blacklight they put in the heads. Ah the memories!

Jeff

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Nailed it, well done!

19. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Iron Station NC
    I owned a 115 and 410 Trace Elliot Cab back in early 80s till 2000 pushed by an Ah250 head All pre gibson. That rig had more punch all the way across the spectrum than any rig I ever played through. It was like hauling a semi around !

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is my guess, too. Were these modern units, or fairly old models?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021