Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tradition Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by core, Aug 20, 2005.

1. core

core

Aug 4, 2005
    Has anyone here ever heard of Tradition Guitars before? I was trying out an Ampeg B100R at a small local store and I just picked out a random bass to play with. As I was about to leave I was talking with the owner of the store about the bass I was playing, which was actually very comfortable, and he recommended it to me. (I don't think he was just trying to make a sale, he's good friends with my family since my brother and I took lessons from his store and we've been regular customers there for a while.)

I'm just curious if anyone's ever heard of them or knows anything about them because I had a hard time finding them on online retailers. =D

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Never heard of them. Nice looking basses though. Although they remind me of Ibanez. Which bass were you playing?

3. core

core

Aug 4, 2005
    Pretty sure it was just the B100 . :D

4. bluesman

bluesman

Jul 6, 2005
    kalamazoo, mi
    I have been playing Tradition bass guitars for about three years. I got a B100, B105, and just purchased a MTB4 with active pu's. All three have been great to me on stage and never let me down. Consider these basses. They are well worth the money.

5. core

core

Aug 4, 2005
    Cool =D. I'm glad to hear it, as I really enjoyed trying it out. Do you remember/know how much you paid for the B100 (if it was new)? The one I tried was used, being sold for around 200 dollars. I'm just curious to see how much a new version costs. . . I asked for a catalog from them but it's still in the mail.

6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I give lessons at an instrument store, and they have tradition basses there. I thought they beat the spectors, austins, cort curbows, and daisy rocks, by a lot. They are slammin little basses. We have the same model you are looking at for $267 so $200 is about right used.

7. bluesman

bluesman

Jul 6, 2005
    kalamazoo, mi
    I paid about $220 for the B100 two years ago. The price asked is about right

8. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I've played a few at the place I take lessons from. They are great basses. They're also extremely light, so they don't kill me back.

9. core

core

Aug 4, 2005
    Yeah, one of the first things I noticed when I was trying it out was how light it was...I was quite surprised that it was going for 200 when it felt so nice.

I'll have to go back and try it out a bit, but I'm looking forward to adding a new bass to my (small) collection. =D

10. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Necromancy, I know, but I found this with the Search function.

I played a Tradition MTL650 jazz guitar today and I was blown away. I'd never heard of the company before, but I'm so glad I picked up this guitar... $600 and I just couldn't put it down. I really don't need another g*****, but man, if I were looking for a jazzbox, this would be first on my list. The neck was unbelievable. I only played it unplugged, but it had such a great tone that I actually thought it would sound fine just miced.

I went online to see if they made any basses, and sure enough, it looks like they have a P/J passive 5-string with a list price of $500. I have been considering getting a P/J (my main bass has a MM 'bucker only), and I might just have to check this out.

Anybody else tried one? What do you think of them? I'd imagine this bass would be something else with a nice pre & better pups.

11. Here's my Tradition B45Q-TG (as purchased with missing B-string). The body is alder with a quilt top. The neck is maple with a rosewood finger board.The pick-ups are made by Tradition. I'm waiting for a set of DR Evergreens to re-string it. Very light.

[​IMG]