1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Traynor yba-1a mk II questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Jul 20, 2012.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Picked up a traynor yba-1a mk II last month. It was in near mint condition and running the original tubes. I took it to a local guitar shop that services tube amps and they checked it over 100%. I had them add a three prong plug, it needed the fan bearing repacked, and a new pre amp tube. They also bench tested it and it showed 85 watts, which the owner was amazed at out of the two power tubes.
    Now my main questions is which input should I be using for bass? It has 2 I inputs and 2 II inputs. Also can I drive my svt 810 with this? I know it's rated to 8 ohms and the svt is 4 ohms. I don't want to. Have blowing the Hammond ot since they don't make the like they used to. I was thinking of buying a ampeg v4 that I found for 400 or an svt classic I found on gc for 699 to drive the svt.
    The Traynor did come with a yb-18a, which is a folded design 18 that runs at 8 ohm. Problem is the tolex and grill smell like a cigarettes do bad it's annoying. I got most off the tolex but the grill will need replaced.

2. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I have a Traynor YBA-1, slightly lower output compared to the 1A, and I use in on a regular basis with 4 ohm cabs. Specifically an Ampeg 810e and an Ampeg 410HLF, never had an issue, though the fan is definitely a necessity since it can get pretty hot. The inputs on mine are laid out corresponding with I and II volume controls, II being a bright channel, and the lower inputs as slightly higher gain. Which you use is a matter of taste. I almost always stick to I and upper or lower depends on the bass I'm using and how hot the pickup is and how much breakup I want. You can also bridge the channels, like a lot of older 4 input amps, and mix the channels to taste.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I played though a borrowed YBA1 for a little while back in high school. I remember liking the tone quite a bit.

4. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    I wouldn't run an 8-10 on it. If you turn it up too far to try to drive all those speakers, and it starts clipping.....bye-bye speakers.......
    I'd run a 4-10, or a 2-15 instead, but thats just my preference. I also dont think it puts out a true 85 watts. That MAY be peak, but not constant, IMO.:ninja::ninja:

5. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    They bench tested it 85 watts constant, peak was higher but I don't have the paper in front of me. He told me why it does it something about the plate voltage being crazy high. This is the yba-1a mk II which was rated at 90 watts from the factory.
    Idealy I'd like to find an old traynor or ampeg 2x15 to run it with.

6. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Did they do a cap job while they had it? If the amp is truly all original, it is overdue for filter caps. Also, to get the funk out of the Traynor's grill cloth (I assume you mean the speaker cab) get some Spray Nine (Home Depot should have it) and do the spray/wipe thing until it comes clean. Use a white cloth or old T-shirt - not a paper towel - so you can see when it's cleaning up.

7. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Those Mark II's ran the highest plate voltage I've ever seen in a musical instrument amp.

It was a pretty honest 80-odd watts by the standards of the day, but Pete Traynor drove those 6CA7's within an inch of their lives to get there. The B+ on the last one I modded for a guitarist, was over 600v.

Needless to say, they are hard on tubes.

One thing to be aware of, is that when the original power tubes wear out, you may have trouble finding current production tubes that will handle the 1a's plate voltage. If so, you'll be wanting to hunt down some NOS 6CA7's.

8. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    They checked all the caps and they all spec'd out

9. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Maybe I'll just clean the grill cloth and use the 18...when I tried it I do remember it broke up real easy and had a very beefy overdrive tone. Very Geezerish
    Funny thing is I thought the svt would work and I picked it up on a whim cause the guy needed money,
    Not a bad deal for 200.00 just wish it would work with my traynor.
    photo-23.

10. An SVT810 will work. It might rub the Dom a little harder being 4 ohms and the amp 8, but it will sound fine. I personally would just stick to an 8 ohm load. Those teannies don't come around often. Also, you won't blow an 810 speaker like previously posted. No matter how much the amp breaks up. The last Traynor I heard in person sounded excellent through a moder Ampeg 4x10. I'm sure a good 2x15 will also sound great. 85 watts seems correct for those MKII's. Huge transformers. Buddy modded his to use KT88's as the voltage eats up EL34's or cheap modern 6CA7's.

11. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    << Also, you won't blow an 8-10 speaker like previously posted. No matter how much the amp breaks up.>>

He will if it goes square wave. 1 watt at square wave can blow a speaker.:ninja:

2behead likes this.
  12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh quit it. I don't care if you're trying to be funny.

13. The only experience I've had is that it works but the transformers will be working a little harder due to the mis match impedance, which will give you a little less headroom and volume. Regardless of who's correct, putting a 90 watt head to a 250w (flatback) or 800 watt (modern) 8x10 and thinking you'll blow a speaker because of pushing the amp just sounds silly to me. Those cabs were made to match similar heads with much higher output.

2behead likes this.
  14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    If you want to clean up the grill cloth on the YB-18A take some Spray Nine and remove the grill and its frame from the YB-18A. Move away from the cabinet and give the grill cloth a good dousing on both sides with the Spray Nine enough so that it's running down the cloth/frame. Leave it sit for 10-15 mins and then take a garden hose and spray in clean. The cloth will look like new again and smell a whole lot better too.

Here are Traynor's recomendations for matching up the MkII to their cabinets of the day.
    Thought you'd be interested .

Traynor_Cabs_for_MkII.

TD

15. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    You, and Bongo arent getting it......

I dont care if the speaker will handle 10,000 watts..... ONE watt at square wave can destroy the mightiest of Speakers.

There is a massive difference between pushing an Anp into distortion, and having it go square wave. Old Traynors DONT have any safety features to prevent it......

Dont believe me? thats alright....one day you'll learn.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I already know the answer to this myself, but maybe you can explain: how does an amp "go square wave"?

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    They have already learned and you are so far off base it's almost sad!!

A woofer is quite happy reproducing ANY shaped signal as long as it is within the power handling ability of that woofer. Where folk can run into trouble with a square wave signal is the tweeter.

18. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    I'm really pushing for an octagonal wave.....seriously thanks to all I may just grab the v4 for the 810 and let the traynor run the traynor.

19. I'm not trying to be rude or anything. Your statement seriously sounds silly to me. I don't own my Traynor anymore so I guess I passed on my day of "learning" like you mentioned. But what I'm reading you say is one of the most popular vintage amps that hundreds and hundreds of people own, which is very similar to a Bassman and JTM, won't work with one of the most popular bass cabs every produced which was made to match amps similar to the one we're talking about.... But it will work with another 8x10 (Traynor did have an 8x10) or another cab? Again, just sounds silly and I'm not even saying you're wrong or I'm right.

To the op, my experience, with owning a YBA1 and now a close buddy owning one, these amps sound great. Through 8x10's, 4x10's, 4x12's, and more. Just stay safe with the impedance to not strain the transformers over time and stick to a cab rated 100 watts and above. By all means, don't take my word for it. Ask someone else or listen to the guy saying you'll blow the 200w speakers on an 8x10 because these popular and well known amps aren't "safe"

20. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Funny thing is the yb18a has a 100watt rating