Trying to ID a 90s Mexican Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woomerbt, Apr 20, 2018.

1. woomerbt

woomerbt

Apr 20, 2018
    PA
    I've had this bass for over 20 years. Bought it in college at a second-hand/vintage shop and used it in a blues band for a couple of years. I know it is Mexican and was made in the 90s from the serial number, but the pick guard and concentric controls have me stumped. I can't find another one like it for comparison. Anyone have any insights? 20180420_205250.jpg 20180420_205258.jpg 20180420_205315.jpg 20180420_205304.jpg

Aqualung60, RobTheRiot and quickfix like this.
  2. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Definitely a '95.

*EDIT* '95 Cowpoke P Bass. Semi-rare. I'd never heard of these before, pretty cool.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    1994-1996 is definitely my favorite era of Mexican Fenders. I also have a couple. That one you have looks really good - as good as current-production MIA.

4. woomerbt

woomerbt

Apr 20, 2018
    PA
    Wow! That is awesome (and fast!). Thanks for the link, too. It's a great bass, but it always bugged me that I didn't know exactly what it was.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Google Fender Cowpoke bass and read to your heart's content.

And welcome to TalkBass @woomerbt !!!!!

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  6. Shouldn't the MN4 serial identify the bass as a '94? If not, removing the neck should show date stamps.

saabfender likes this.
  7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Now you're "an old cowhand." I have a red one.

saabfender and woomerbt like this.
  8. woomerbt

woomerbt

Apr 20, 2018
    PA
    Now that I know what to search for I definitely will.
    And thanks! Love the forum!

pudgychef and DrummerwStrings like this.
  9. woomerbt

woomerbt

Apr 20, 2018
    PA

10. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Normally, yes, but that year MN4 was '95. The '94 serial numbers started with a V (I think).

11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Hybridized out of leftover "Mexi-Urge" parts, it looks like... :)

pudgychef likes this.
  12. Well if woomerbt would kindly remove the neck of his instrument (I assure you, it will do no damage as Fender's were designed to have the neck removable). Looks like on some of the strings they need to be rewound on the tuners anyways. On all tuners the string should exit as low as possible, so they should be strung high to low as possible on the tuners. Oh yeah, to remove the neck you need to take the strings off the tuners.

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Just like the one I had and stupidly sold (one of six basses in that category). I was not totally wild about the preamp.

14. woomerbt

woomerbt

Apr 20, 2018
    PA
    I definitely plan to take the neck off and look. I'll post here when I do. Thanks for the tip on the strings. I just put them on and thought I had them low enough, but I'll check it out when I do the neck.

15. Comeon over to our little roundup at The Few The Proud the Cowpokes and you'll find everything you want to know.

woomerbt likes this.
  16. I like that bass!

17. I had that same bass in red. It was the first bass I bought when I started playing in the mid 90's. Found it in a local music store and got a really good deal on it because it had been knocked off the wall and had a small chunk of the finish missing off the back.

18. I’ve had 3 cowpokes - red, black, and sunburst. One I had to shim the neck - I used a piece of business card and wrote “ashtray @ talkbass” on it, should anyone find it. :)

I sold all 3 about 8 years ago. I meant to keep one. Very comfortable, lightweight, and great tone.

saabfender likes this.