1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Clark W, Oct 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    What brand / model tuning pedal do you use and why?
    I'm doing a lot of practice at home in E, but playing the same stuff live in drop D.
    Tuning at home isn't a problem, I use my computer. Tuning at a gig is where my gear is lacking.

2. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Hey! Welcome to TalkBass! This is a widely covered topic - please always do a search.

Popular tuners are made by Korg, TC Electronics, and strobe tuners like the Turbo Tuner get a lot of love around here. I personally use the Polytune 3 - it tracks fast, I feel is more accurate than the Korg, not as accurate as the Turbo but I also don't feel like .02 of a cent is noticeable in a live context, and the display is easiest to read of the tuners I've tried (Korg Pitchblack, Polytune 2, and Turbo). Others might chime in, but it's very possible you won't get a whole lot of responses because it's been talked about a lot.

Ultimately, you really can't go wrong. And again, do a search :)

Low84, BigBenH18 and Clark Word like this.
  3. I use my Zoom pedals to tune.

Clark Word likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use a TC Polytune 2 Mini in strobe mode. I also use a Hipshot Bass Xtender for drop D (mine has two stops and will go to B as well as D). Requires a little finessing to stay in tune, but does stay in tune very well.

Clark Word likes this.
  5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    You really can't go wrong with either of those models, really. Most of my experience is with a Korg Pitch-Black and a Boss TU-3, and they work just fine. I prefer the Korg though, and it has never let me down. Grab whatever pedal is the most opportune for you, I think.

Low84 and Clark Word like this.
  6. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    tc polytune 2 mini noir

because its cool, the strobe is realllly good, and i got it for cheap.

7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I've had the same Boss TU-2 forever. I also use my Zoom MS-60B.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  8. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Problem solved. Just bought one and it'll be here Monday. Costs less than a lot of new tuners (I use my phone anyway, even at gigs).

s-l640.jpg

Das Jugghead likes this.
  9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I use a Boss TU2 in strobe mode. The current model is the TU3. It's easy and fast to use this tuner between songs on gigs. Stepping on the tuner mutes the signal to my amp and lights of the tuner. Never any trouble picking up the low B string. I find the strobe easier and faster to use. I do recommend running the tuner off a wall wart or pedal power supply rather than 9V battery.

10. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner

Jun 30, 2017
    Chicago
    I use a BOSS TU-2 but have a Sonic Research ST-300 Mini on the way. Upgrading!!!

11. blip

blip

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    I also use a TU-2 because it's the same model my guitarist has. Not great in direct sunlight, but it's otherwise worked well for the last decade.

Whatever you get, make sure you turn it off before the song starts ;)

Clark Word likes this.
  12. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    Sonic Research ST-300 Turbo Tuner Mini

Awesome tuner. Love mine, best I've ever tried

Goatrope and Clark Word like this.
  13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Same. Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 Mini.

I've also got a TU-3, have used the Polytune 2 Mini, and Peterson Strobo series. They're all good. The Turbo Tuner is the fastest and my favorite of the bunch. It's easy to see in all types of light too.

Clark Word and blip like this.
  14. I use the tuner built into my Shure GLX wireless.

Clark Word likes this.
  15. ferarayabass

ferarayabass

Mar 28, 2017
    Chile
    Love my Tu-3! try it!

Clark Word likes this.
  16. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Polytune 2 mini. My fav over the Korg and apeterson I've tried.

Clark Word likes this.
  17. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner

Jun 30, 2017
    Chicago
    Mine should arrive today, I’m excited! The TU-2 served me well for over 15 years. I’ll still use it on my ancillary boards.

I’ve learned how to do my own setups so the combination of the st-300’s strobe accuracy, pedalboard friendly size and preset ability, makes it the next logical upgrade for me.

BOSS tuners are excellent tanks and can get the job done for a gigging musician though.

Clark Word likes this.
  18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I keep a TU-3 in my gig bag for backup. I've had to use it a few times over the years, and it's always ready to go.

Clark Word likes this.
  19. DARN! I thought this was going to be a thread about tuning pedals, like how to get more growl at 400Hz or increase the attack by reducing X-capacitor...

I heard the H9 tuner is the shizzle, get that.

Currently I pitch a Turbo on my board, the Korg Pitchblack I have can't track the low E of DB that well, and it left the factory incorrectly tuned — it's a few cents sharp from every other tuner I've tried including fellow bandmates' — sharp enough to be annoying on a gig. If it'd been a few cents flat, it might've survived being culled from the board. At least, that's how I remember it. It's been a long time since it was relegated to the drawer of disused...

Clark Word likes this.
  20. i like my tc polytuner real well

Clark Word likes this.