Turbosound IP2000 Review

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by musicman7722, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Well of sorts.

So I am trying to lighten my load in a bit and also want to try out the line array systems. So I bought a Turbosound Inspire 2000. I have been using it in rehearsal for a month or so. Last weekend I had a sound gig so I took the unit with me and used it. Now the act was a Sinatra style band with drums, guitar, bass and singer. I miked up the drums with 4 mikes and guitar and bass went direct. The room was a big VFW type hall, high ceilings you know the drill. Seated maybe 100.

I did bring two of my EV 12" powered subs as well. To be safe I brought my usual tops which are QSC K10.2's.

I was so amazed at this speaker system that I just ordered a second. The sound was very nice and much more even around the room that my K10's. Another great feature was the sound was almost the same regardless of if I sat to mix or stood to mix (I use a Mackie DL32r board). I also found that I didn't have to walk the room and adjust the volumes as much as the sound was so much more consistent.. The K10's stayed in their bags.

I have a rock band mixing gig in 2 weeks and I will take both of the systems and try it with them. Again I will bring the K10's as backup. They currently use a pair of the RCF line array systems so they are open to try the Turbosound. For this gig I will bring 4 EV 12" subs.

So anybody else out there using these?

Finally let me say I understand Behringer recently bought this company.

jimfist likes this.
  2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    My choir director and band mate got the 2000 and just did first gig last night. Very impressed also. Room holds about 60-80. It’s a sidestage of a local community theatre. We do several events there. He put it on a chair in the back corner, 4 vocals, keys, acoustic and electric guitar in pa. Looks like a wood stove. No monitors. Bass in my rig and drums not mic’d. He also got a Behringer iPad mixer.

It needed some EQing but sounds great. He got it on sale for around $800. I may sell my zxa1subs and k10s as well.

8487E3EE-9EA2-4F19-B805-875BD18A10B2.jpeg

Akami and kittywithabanjo like this.
  3. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    I bought an IP1000 recently and have only been able to use it for one rehearsal, my impression has been similar! Its first gig will be 4/21 in a low-ceiling brewery, which seems like the perfect type of spot for it.

4. Did you use the EV subs for the gig or just what the IP2000 has?

5. Great conversations here thanks

I used both subs. I didn't expect the 12" sub in the IP2000 to do that well. The way my board is set up only put bass and kick in my subs. I did this as I wanted no amps onstage.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    jimfist likes this.
  6. Hey Turbosound users, where do you run the gain on your Turbo system?

7. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I don't know. My favorite part about it was I didn't have to carry it, set it up or run it.

8. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Cool I have been wondering how these would do at a small rock gig..I run Iq series stuff currently

9. Here are some shots from my 4 piece Sinatra style band. I used one system and two small subs. This weekend I will use two systems and 4 subs for a 5 piece rock band. Report will be on Sunday.

Attached Files:

Akami likes this.
  10. TBPlayerOC

TBPlayerOC

Oct 17, 2013
    Orange, CA
    My band leader just bought 2 of the IP2000s. We are using them this weekend at a bar gig. The plan is to put the vocals, keys, guitar and bass through the PA. We do use amps currently on stage.

I will be sure to give a report after the gig.

11. Great I look forward to hearing your report as well.

12. Well the gig went well. I used the my IP2000's and 2 of my EV 12" powered subs. Typical 5 piece rock band with two heavy guitar players. One went direct "god bless him". The other used a loud Mesa Boogie 4x12 I guess so all I could do for him was bring him up for his solos. 2 good singers 2 backup singers. 3 mikes on drums, all instruments including the bass in the PA.

I ran the EV subs as aux outs and of course put everything through the mains. Once I brought the aux sub channel down to see what the difference was and I am glad I brought them.

I set them out in front of the band in typical speaker fashion and gave them wedges. The sound was great. I walked the room often the balance was quite noticeable no matter where I went including off to stage left almost behind the band.

I ran the IP2000's pretty much flat. Used the live music setting and punched the subs 3 db and the master 3 db. I use a Mackie DL32r for a mixer and the master volume was about 6. I felt I had a lot of head room and never depicted any distortion. I did run the female lead singer a little to hot so next time I will back down the channels a bit and open up the main out.

I would guess the room had about 125 people at peak. The band loved the sound and the woman singer stepped out a few times each set while another player sang and she never once had any criticism.

I am sold. I have a 11 piece - 5 horn band to mix in a few weeks. That should be fun.

Akami and jimfist like this.
  13. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'd been considering getting one or a pair of the ip2000 setups to use pretty much for everything I do. The main impetus, though, was for those small duo or trio gigs in pubs and restaurants where using a pair of traditional front-line pole mount speakers on tripods can be very awkward and space consuming. The idea was to us the ip2000 (one for small rooms) set behind us so that the mains and monitoring were all handled via this speakers (not terribly loud gigs, for sure). This has the net benefit also of maximizing stage room, and the coverage pattern of the line array is wide and consistent (as previously mentioned).

This type of line array is perfect in a trio situation, placed behind the drummer set up centered in a corner stage, as one of the pictures shows.

The only thing to be concerned with is the connection between the Turbosound sub cabinet and the line array cabinet. It might not fare to well if a drunkard goes careening into it full force. This is also a good argument for pulling the front line PA back toward the stage.

Turbosound has historically made very good stuff and is a very well-known UK/Euro barnd. I owned four of their TMS-4 cabinets back in the 1980s, and they were pioneers of the all-in-one full-range PA cabinet, relatively small (for that period of time), loud, and efficient. This was fairly radical for nightlub use at the time, where large 3-way/4-way systems were the norm. Their tour-grade sound reinforcement stuff is on par with the most elite in the world. They jumped into the pro-sumer market a number of years ago, and given that it's an already crowded market, Turbosound probably had difficulty making a name in the US vs. JBL, EV, Yamaha, Mackie, et al.

Akami likes this.
  14. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I run a carvin trc210 rig and love it. Column arrays are what everyone will be using soon. You just can't compare the sound and control over a room, to regular pa's. I would say a pair of ip3000 series should cover most rock bands easily. I am alittle concerned about how they hook together though. Seems like a nightmare scenario if some part should break. With the carvins, you can repair jacks yourself. They are much more expensive though.

15. They aren't wobbly but I did have a patron talking to band at the end of the night start to lean against one stack. I have considered getting a securing cable to tie the tops to the side handles on the sub. I use one in rehearsal in a bedroom. 4 piece band. It sits in the corner maybe 4 feet behind me. My mike looks right into it so to speak. We don't rehearse to loud, everything including bass, guitar and keys go through it. No feed back and clear as a bell all around the room.

16. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I LOVE column arrays. Ive been trying to find out how much the tops and sub weigh in the ip3000 series.

17. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I started looking into the column stuff after an outdoor acoustic guitar gig where the PA was two bose l1 model II's with 4 bass modules. Sounded great and the no monitor thing is cool. It was like being immersed in the sound. The owner said he ran a full band with 5 of them. $15k or so. That'd buy a lot of qsc K's.

One of my bands tried an outdooer gig without me for a microbrewery opening street party using the ip2000. They were pushing it as hard as they could and he said it wasn't enough (duh) and they were having feedback problems. But they got cool T shirts.

28166641_10160007938255164_4593550014487148079_n.jpg

We had a string of gigs with our oldies and pop bands last week and he said bring the K's. I'm not convinced that one ip2000 is that much better or easier to haul/setup/operate than a k10 on a zxa1 sub. To get rock band volume the weight/cost start creeping up, negating the portability/price advantage. I wouldn't want to haul the 115lb 3000. If a pair of 2000's could replace 2 k12 mains with 2 k10 monitors it might be be worth it.

We're also considering trying a few ip's in our church. Maybe a couple of 3000's in front with some 500's for monitors and back corners.

18. Well after two gigs I am convinced. I have a gig in two weeks and I will bring them both and 1 EX sub. This time I will put them behind the band. But believe when I say two of these with two subs easily filled the club I did last weekend and the sound went everywhere evenly. I could never get that even dispersal with my K10's or my K10.2's

I have an 11 piece band with 5 horns in a month. Fingers crossed.

Akami likes this.
  19. I suspect an issue they had was being under a tent and having the speaker under the tent too.

20. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Could be, I wasn't there, but we also had some in the other room. Part of the sell on these is that you can put them behind you and don't need monitors. But it seems if you try to push them when they're behind you they are susceptible to feedback.

The biggest room we played last week was our 8 person oldies band playing to 200+ seated at round tables for a church senior program dinner. We did it with 2 k12s on sticks, 2 k10 wedges. My 12/3 bass cab and drummers k12 monitor carried the room, 5 vocal mics, EG, AG, keys in the PA. We had plenty of volume to spare.

If you could put 2 ip2000's behind the band and have as good or better sound than we had I'd definitely be sold.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021