Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two 2 X 10 Cabinets vs. One 4 X 10 Cabinet.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rtharris, Oct 30, 2003.

1. rtharris

rtharris

Oct 22, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Does anybody out there use Two 2 X 10 cabs, instead of One 4 X 10? I was wondering if the sound of Two 2 X 10s would be comparable to the 4 X 10? Obviously I want to make a purchase of one or the other and it would be great to have some of y'alls input. It would certainly more versatile. Secondly, has anybody tried the Dr. Bass Cabs that are currently for sale on E-bay?

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Assuming you wanted to post this in Double Bass rather than electric bass, it still belongs in Amps and Pickups rather than strings....

3. rtharris

rtharris

Oct 22, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Perhaps you should check the section you just referred to.

4. uh, anyway, I like 2x10 cabs better for the simple reason that they're easier to pack to the gig, and you can also just use one if you want for a small venue, practice, recording, etc...

5. FWIW, Dave Holland uses a 4x10 Hartke cab when playing concerts. Seems like a weird choice for upright, but, hey, he's Dave Holland.

I've used a 2x10 Hartke on a couple of upright gigs, and it sounded like a$$. I never tried my 4x10 for an upright gig, though.

6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why? If you posted it there, great. Hell, that's even swell. But you don't need to post it here is my point. It has absolutely nothing to do with strings.

Anyway, I will answer it here. I used to use a 4x10 cab and found it to be overkill for small clubs or even larger venues, so I use a combo with a 2 x 10 in it now. I'd like to get a 1x12 cabinet happening in the future though, as I've heard some good 12"s with DBs and to my ear it sounds more natural. I think its more about the quality of the speaker and power than the size of the cabs, plus when you are lugging around something as large as a DB, you don't really want to lug a huge cabinet in addition.

7. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    MINK GOODBATH -

when dave holland played here last feb. he requested and used a g-k 4x10 (in addition to his gk150) - not hartke. his website mentions this setup too. i'm not sure if he cares a lot about the differences between gk sound and hartke sound (maybe he's since switched, maybe the gig you saw couldn't get a gk 410), but i thought i'd throw that out there.

sean p

8. SHOWN PEE:

You're right. My bad.

Maybe the Hartke cab would sound good with an aluminum bass (?)

9. I've seen Marc Johnson twice with a Hartke 4 by 10, Dan Berglund of EST with a Trace Elliot 4 by 10 and London bassist Geoff Gascoigne with a 4 by 10 I didn't identify. I also remember a comment in bass player by Percy Heath that he liked an SWR 2 by 10. I've never seen anyone use two 2 by 10s.

I'm guessing, but it seems to me that 4 by 10s are preferred in venues where the cab has to address a medium and up audience and the cab is likely to be no-where near a boundary - such as plonked in the middle of a stage such as happens on a lot of UK tours in arty type venues. These tours tend to come with engineers and roadies.

Ashdown make a 4 by 8 that is liftable and might be worth a try? I've seen it but not played through it myself yet. But anyway, one 4 by 10 should be more compact and lighter in total than two 2 by 10s giving the same output. Epifani 3 by 10 anyone?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I prefer multiple, smaller cabinets for the enhanced flexibility and portability. Now that I have to load my rig by myself (up and down the basement steps, no less), I really appreciate the lighter weight cabs. 1x10's, 1x12's, and 2x8's seem to work the best on upright for me.

Tom.