1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. I wanted to raise the entire floor and have more room for height adjustment at the bridge. A small shim put the saddles on the deck, and I don't want that. I'm going to do the same thing on my Fury project.

Thatbastarddon and JEDI BASS like this.
  2. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    You can change the saddles on your bridge to bring the action down to a reasonable height without the 2X4 shim or using the micro-tilt log splitter.
    Wilkinson brass saddles are the right diameter and width, the whole bridge is about $15.
    Then you can use a piece or two of business card for a shim that is not visible.
    That way you can keep the original trapezoid shaped baseplate and have brass saddles which look properly vintage.

MCF and Shawn Luckman like this.
  3. Interesting... do you have a link for this one? I have plenty of shim material (and get to play with cutting tools), but this could be an interesting choice, too. (It's interesting to note that my Patriot bass - with smaller saddles - needed no shimming or micro-tilt at all.)

MCF likes this.
  4. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Guitar Parts, Bodies, Necks, Pickups, Fender, Gibson and more | The STRATosphere

Yes, the saddles on the Peavey trapezoidal bridge are huge.
    The T20 bridge saddles are the same way.
    These brass saddles will fix both.
    All the later Peavey bridges were more normally sized, your Patriot has one of those.

If you are really picky you can buy the StewMac bass shims in .5 degree or in 1 degree and they will fill the whole neck pocket.
    I know some folks blame "standard" business card shims for causing ski jump so the StewMac shim is an option for those folks.

MCF and Thatbastarddon like this.
  5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    This one?
    *NEW Wilkinson Bass BRIDGE for Fender Precision & Jazz Chrome, Brass WBBC-CR

6. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
  7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I am really trying to reduce my bass collection but spotted this today. I called and verified that the electronics are intact and the bass is original.

A TL5 in nice shape for $415 delivered? I could not pass it up. It was listed 21 hours ago.

Peavey TL Five 5 String Bass 2008 | Dave's Guitar Shop

8. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    WHAT A DEAL!!! That’s how mine used to look before someone messed it all up.

You may remember, I paid nearly $400 locally for it and it had been poorly routed for MK-1s and had the malfunctioning import Bart preamp too. That is one heck of a deal you got there! Congrats!!

9. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Non-original bridge, but since the second gen TL-5 went to kind of a generic bridge anyway, that ABM copy is probably an improvement. I prefer that type for two reasons. Faster string changes, and they lock.

jjk2007 and JEDI BASS like this.
  10. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, that’s a nice bridge!

11. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It was advertised as a 2008. Can that be correct? I figured it was one of the last TL5’s and had the ABM bridge originally. It looks exactly like the bridge on my Cirrus.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

tindrum and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  13. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Look closer. The ABM on the Cirrus basses use three screws. This one uses five. I'm not sure exactly when the TL-FIVE was discontinued, but I know it was quite a while before 2008. I'm thinking 1995 or so.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  14. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It is difficult to tell for certain but the photo looks to me to show only 3 mounting screws. I looked at the bridge on my Cirrus 5 and it looks the same. I'll know soon enough. They shipped it today. I'll get good photos when it arrives and look under the bridge to see if there are additional mounting holes left from another and perhaps original bridge. In any case, I prefer the ABM. It is my favorite bridge.

15. Chuck - if you don’t bond with that TL-5 - well..... I know a guy.....

Chuck M likes this.
  16. I have them on my 86 Foundation.
    upload_2019-8-7_8-3-24.

17. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL

I sit corrected. It does look like an ABM. If so, I'm still going with aftermarket. I've had three second generation TL5s, and they have all had that generic bridge. Functional, yes. Not as nice as other options.

18. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm pretty pumped about this TL5. I was hoping to score a pristine one and this one is not, however, the price was just too good to pass. It looks to me that two of the tuners are missing the little round cover that goes over the gears and the head stock looks to have a chip out of it. There also looks to be a scratch or two on the face of the body. Still it looks very nice and has very pretty flame maple in the body.

It is scheduled to be delivered Friday so we will soon know if the bridge is original or not.

This one takes the truss rod wrench that is hard to come by. I should have paid more attention to those of you who have posted about solutions to the truss rod wrench solutions you came up with. If you could refresh my memory, I would appreciate it.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  19. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Mine is definitely not pristine, and yours has much better flame. Mine plays very well and sounds even better with the EMG soapbars and guts. If yours doesn’t make you very happy, I will be shocked!

20. Pretty slick! Do you need to use the micro-tilt at all?