1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    JEDI BASS likes this.
  2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    My pleasure!

3. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I found the measurements on another page and this is not the correct knob set. The shafts on the pot Peavey used measure .250" for the bottom and .125" for the top. The set you recommended was for 8mm (0.314") bottom and 6mm (.236") bottom.

Looks like a replate may be the best solution. I'd rather have black though.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

WTB - 5 String Peavey (for a Friend)

I have a local friend (former duo mate) that’s looking for a <$400 5 string. I’ve suggested an USA Axcellerator, Late Model Dyna or USA Forum... He’s interested in a TL5.

He currently owns a Stingray and is interested in something less one-dimensional. Chances are he’s thinking Active (he’s a Tony Levin Fan).

Anyone have anything sitting in their closet?

Please PM me - I’ll connect you up.

5. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    "Put down that soldering iron and step back!" Someone should have told him that.

The output jack on the TL5 needs replacing as it is loosing contact at times. I started looking at it and discovered an amateur has been at work in the control cavity. The battery connector was replaced poorly. The guy left the wires too long and used black tape instead of shrink wrap for insulation. The extra length of wire was wadded up in the battery compartment. The output jack is wired incorrectly and the preamp is on anytime a battery is connected. It all seemed to work fine except for the intermittent jack. The battery would not have lasted long though.

I have a new jack arriving today in the mail and I already have a battery connector so I will correct the wiring and do a tidy job of it.

Things are coming together nicely on this one and I like it a lot. It is on the heavy side but is still comfortable on a wide strap.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  6. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have the Peavey bass blues![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Runnerman, 58kites, tindrum and 6 others like this.
  7. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Chuck !! That Milli is BREATHTAKING !!!! - MIKE B

tindrum likes this.
  8. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks. The previous owner bought it from a store as new old stock and then put it up on Reverb cheap. I offered him even less and he took it. I received it and it sounded lousy. It had the original Peavey strings on it that I can't stand. I put a set of LaBella flats on it and it sounds fantastic. It is in absolutely new condition in the original case.

mb94952 and JEDI BASS like this.
  9. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    9C479E5D-36AF-4794-BC20-2D8F924086A8. New strap coming, from Gecko Leather Works, for my blue TL-5.

Runnerman, mech, mb94952 and 2 others like this.
  10. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    My TL-Five has been on point (as always)! I’ve been messing around with my Sadowsky preamp and playing passive. Gives it an interesting flavor.

[​IMG]

11. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    One of my friends came by for a visit yesterday. I showed him the TL5 and he proceeded to show me how it sounds in the hands of someone well versed in slap bass. If you are a slapper who plays 5 string you should try to get a TL5. I thought it was voiced too bright...but I was wrong. This thing kills.

The amazing thing is that some small knob turning produces a great warm tone suitable for jazz or blues. It will do the thump like a P bass too. I believe this preamp has more sweep than any other that I have played.

I think I will play this rascal in church tomorrow morning.

12. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    So true. A bright bass is right at home with slap.
    I have a 83 G&L El Toro that is really bright out of the gates-pretty sure it's designed to be a J killin' slap master! It is easily rolled back for a fatter tone, but a small mod by adding one resistor to the preamp made it a nice, balanced sounding bass.
    Speaking about preamps, the preamp in my 85 Dynabass is quite flexible, I can fake P and Stingray tones with it and those amazing Super Ferrites!

JEDI BASS and DavidEdenAria like this.
  13. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I can get very close to a Stingray sound with my 85 Foundation and the extensive EQ on my Eden Metro....those Super Ferrites are something else.

JEDI BASS, bigtone23 and MCF like this.
  14. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Off-topic...but, I got to meet KodiakBlair last week!
    David is just as nice in person as he is on this board, and it was a pleasure and honor to meet him.

My son's band had a gig in Glasgow during their first ever tour, and David made the effort to drive there after work to meet up.
    It was a short meet up as it was a midweek show, and the band had to pack up and head to Manchester right afterwards.
    My wife and I flew over to London and got to see the first 4 shows of their tour, and this meeting was an added bonus!

15. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    ack- That sounds like incredible fun! I have enjoyed every dialogue I've ever had with KodiakBlair, and have admired his wonderful Peavey collection from afar. I can only dream of ever getting from the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas to Scotland one day. Ya never know, tho!

kodiakblair and ack like this.
  16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Letting go of this USA Peavey (with OHSC) for cheap if anyone is interested. 8.5 lbs, LOW action, awesome player and tone. Ad is up in the TB classifieds.

IMG_20190719_163026__01.

tindrum, Tom McClintock and JEDI BASS like this.
  17. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    What’s the son’s band name?

18. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I got a chance to play my new-to-me Dyna that I have tuned BEAD on Sunday. All I can say is wow! I did use the low D on a couple of songs and it was just thunderous. Played it in passive mode only. Had several positive comments after service. I only flubbed a couple of notes with momentary brain flashbacks to standard tuning. :drool: Pretty sure only the band noticed. I just LOVE this bass.

mech, bigtone23 and JEDI BASS like this.
  19. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    That’s awesome Runnerman! And, it proves something.... most guys could get by with 3 strings. Cause you basically only used the E, A, and D with some low D thrown in. Makes me want to build a 3-string so bad!

20. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Haha....a lot of P&W music does use octaves from time to time so that can create a bit of a challenge if you are used to playing root A through D on the A string. But I spent some time getting comfortable doing those higher up the neck. Actually have really enjoyed the challenge that BEAD presents. 3 string might be too much for me though.....LOL