1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. No haven't touched it since I bought it. It's still a great playing bass & still toying, with the idea of flatwounds on it.

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    My TL5 is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

JEDI BASS, mb94952 and BassikLee like this.
  3. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    TL 5 is here. Once again proving that photos can, but usually don't show the whole picture.

The tip of the headstock does have a bit of damage (not bad..typical really) and a bit of paint gone. The tuners are intact (not missing gear covers as it looked in a photo) and look like they will polish up okay. That is a miracle since the gold is so thin but I think they will be fine. The bridge is indeed an ABM exactly as used on the Cirrus. I will remove it to check for additional holes when I clean the bass but it looks to be original.

The case it came in fits perfectly but does not have "Peavey" on the lid. Could this be original? I tried the bass in another Peavey case I have that an Axcellerator came in and the headstock hits the bottom of the case because of the headstock angle. The case it came in does not have that problem.

The frets show very little wear but some playing time. The body of the bass has only the light surface scratches that all basses get. If it were not for the tip of the headstock the bass would be excellent plus.

It is not light...weighs 10 pounds, 10 ounces.

The tone with controls centered is very bright and edgy. The preamp has lots of sweep so it is no problem to make it sound good but strikes me as odd the preamp is voiced that way with the controls centered. Perhaps that is what Tim Landers specified.

So for $415 delivered I have a bass that needs TLC, new strings and a complete set up. I will post photos after I do the clean and polish.

Just to introduce the TL5 to my home, I pulled up the YouTube version of Joe Bonamassa's Breaking Up Someone's Home and played along. Fun!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    MCF likes this.
  4. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    You lucky dog!!! Haha, congrats again! What a steal!

5. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see, there were only three mounting holes for the bridge so it is original. The bass cleaned up nice and sounds great with new strings on it. The gold on the knobs is worn, there is the headstock ding and also one ding on the face of the body under the control knobs. The frets looked like new after I polished them. Pretty amazing deal I got on this one.

bassbrad, Shawn Luckman, mech and 5 others like this.
  6. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Stunning.

7. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Very nice looking bass Chuck.
    I bet you can make the headstock ding look a whole lot better with one of the GluBoost CA body repair products.

8. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I think this one just dropped by for a visit and some TLC. I am so used to the 35” scale that my Cirrus is more comfortable. The TL5 will be up for sale. Anyone interested should PM me.

kevdimmen likes this.
  9. jpmcbride

jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow! Just put a set of La Bella 750N Black Tape Wounds on my 1991 Peavey Foundation and they make this bass thump and sing! I tried rounds, flats, then Black Beauties, and nothing was quite right. The black beauties were pretty good, but the sound was weak on the D, and especially G strings. With the La Bella tapes the tone is strong across all 4 strings. They also smooth out the tone and tone down a bit of the growl. They feel great and look great too. Black strings on a maple fretboard is a great look! This is quicly becoming my favorite bass.

20190810_191856.

20190810_191907.

10. 20190811_135931 (2). I haven't played my Foundation much recently (to much going on at work). So took her out of the case tuned her up & a bit of a clean, took a quick picture and now putting it through my Fender Rumble 200 combo.

jpmcbride, mb94952, Runnerman and 3 others like this.
  11. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I'm sorry you're not bonding with it. If I weren't three deep into TL-FIVE basses, I might grab it

jjk2007 likes this.
  12. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    What strings did you fit? Is it as bright and edgy with the new set?

That is a stunning looking bass i must say.....i cant deal with that much weight or i would be interested no doubt.

13. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I will definitely keep those strings in mind for my mid 90's Foundation 5er, though the rounds on it arent bad and i think were new to the bass when i bought it

14. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    My 1st gen TL-Five is about the same as you described. Very 'bright' with everything set flat. I usually dial up the bass and mid knob some and roll back the treble a little bit......gives me a nice full but punchy sound.

15. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Just got back from vacation and saw this. What a beautiful bass at a fantastic price. If I had not just bought my Dyna I'd be interested. I doubt it will take long to find a new home.

16. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The TL 5 and are I getting along and I just may keep it. There is so much to like about it. I wonder if Peavey has replacement knobs. I will check with them. If not, I can have these replated. I never have liked gold hardware. Chrome or black lasts so much longer.

JEDI BASS, mb94952 and 58kites like this.
  17. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I’m thinking about slapping black on mine.

18. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I am looking into getting a set of the black aluminum knobs as used by Pedulla and others. The concentric set may be difficult to come by. Here is the link to the regular knobs but Allied does not seem to have the concentric ones.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/kilo-international/jd-75-2-5/70126026/

JEDI BASS likes this.
  19. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I have two of those on a bass I built, and I have a few left over. A0D1D746-91C0-4EEA-87DC-4802EFBAD94A.

tindrum likes this.