1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U2 on SNL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gjbassist, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Just finished watching the season opener of SNL with U2 as musical guest. Was it just me or did they seem to act a bit important? They barely gave NBC time to do one commercial during a break before they played. When they came back live for Megan Fox to intro them they were already playing. That made me think they didn't want to play by the rules and wait to be introduced. They also did three songs instead of the normal two. The last song was them closing out the show instead of being up on stage with the rest of the cast. To me they just came across as too pretentious! Am I the only one who feels that way?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Didn`t see it but I`d love to see some vids if they have them on youtube.

Also,

Megan Fox? Mmmmmmmmmmm.

3. Did you see when Bono came offstage in the middle of their first song and started spinning around in front of the audience, as though he was giving them a treat? :D

Mike

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    how dare they cut down on our commercials! ;)
    maybe they were just all about giving the live audience as much music as possible?
    so, perhaps if you were there, you would've walked away feeling like you got something special. including bono twirls.
    they got nothing to loose at this point anyway...

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Youtube pulls SNL clips due to copyright issues.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Also, did you notice how U2 was on SNL and you weren't?

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've always thought them to be overly pretentious. Saw the show, and imo, they haven't grown or progressed as a band, just stale and full of themselves.

8. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Some night for SNL, Megan Fox looked hot, but pretty much sucked in the skits. U2 did a good Job I thought and one of the cast members dropped the F-Bomb in the middle of a skit.

9. i always thought their intros were great but the songs not so much.....they do decent work on madison avenue tho.......

10. You realize U2 is basically the biggest rock band in the world at this point, right?

It's been a pretty big coup for SNL to get them on three times (I think?) now. I doubt Lorne Michaels and company were really too bothered that Bono and the boys thought they were "self-important." U2 is at the point where if they say "We want to play three more songs", you say "Yes sir, whatever you want."

That said, I haven't bothered to buy their new album...haven't heard anything on it that really compelled me, and I have all their other discs. Maybe I just out grew them or something.

11. Concur.

P.S. I've never considered them to be a rock band. I call them pop.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :D:D Such a away with words.

13. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    Yep. Me too. And I don't consider pop a form of Music.
    :bag:

14. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    U2, especially Bono has always seemed pretentious. This is nothing new. I like some of their music but actually watching Bono is difficult for me.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Not as painful to watch as any SNL skit in the last several years. The show has become profoundly unfunny and is way beyond its expiration date.

Volume, vulgarity and repetition does not = humor.

16. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    +10000000

17. I liked U2's 1st album, but not a whole lot more.

SNL? Anymore it seems like one sketch in a whole show is mildly amusing.

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +10000001

U2 would have been the only thing that would have compelled to watch the show.