Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unclaimed Property

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jan 26, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh boy....I found a real good time waster. :D

After hearing that SMASH found out about a bank account balance he totally forgot he had, I decided to see if I had any unclaimed property.

I went to my states unclaimed property page, and put my info in. With a name like Mike Jones, there were alot of entries so I was kind of excited when the initial results came back and I saw the long list. Sadly, I found nothing. I did find $75 for my parents though. It was a refund from a insurance premium. I also checked my dead grandparents, and found out my grandpa has $60, and my grandma has $55 in California.

It's also fun to type in names of your friends, famous people, your boss, etc. Anyone else "get lucky"?

-Mike

2. what's the url?

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    One year I found my family and close friends about $5000 (all together)... I don't have anything for myself, but it's fun finding money for people... It's amazing how many people will promise you a steak dinner for finding them a lot of money, but they never come through... :( :D

4. I suppose it depends on my state...duh..:rollno: :D

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    yea, what's the link? i'm bored at work today.

6. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, according to the website I went to I have the following unclaimed items under my name:

One bail of pre-shrunk cotton
    37,316 Bazooka Joe gum wrappers
    1 million $0.000001 pieces
    A bad liver and a broken heart
    15 shells from a 30 aught 6...apparently one shell is missing.
    Jan Brady's used rubberbands from her braces
    a double conjuntive participle which has been known to dangle
    14 adopted pygmy ants
    And, A well used sense of novelty.

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I found a savings account I had from my first elementary school. It was fully loaded with about $14+. :) I think it's going to cost me that much to come up with all the documentation required to prove that $14 actually belonged to me when I was 6.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I would look, but I'm afraid there would be a minus sign in front of any dollar figure that may be there.

New York is good like that.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It will vary depending on your state. If you want to search Washington State go here: Unclaimed Property. You would be best off to go to your favorite search engine and type in your state name followed by unclaimed property.

I do have a warning for you all though. Make sure you go to the official site for your state. There are several organizations out there that will look for you, and then charge you to recover the money.

-Mike

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Find me some scratch and dinner at Rosario's is on me!
    (I think I may scratch the SA trip this year :( )

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hijack:

:( Why? Email me....

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice find Funk. I saw that last night, but I didn't spend enough time there to see if it was one of those sites that charge you to recover. Anyone looking to find unclaimed property, should start there.

-Mike

14. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    North Texas
    Reviving this old thread. I just found money that belonged to me which will help fund an upcoming project. :)

For those unfamiliar...

Perform a search for unclaimed property for your state of residence. The link you want is the one associated with your state website, and probably specifically the state controller office. Also check any prior states of residence.

Generally they will require picture ID, proof of SSN and some separate document (utility bill, etc.) showing residency at the address identified on file associated with the claim.

15. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Mike Jones? You should search the greater Houston area. You might have an unclaimed platinum grill or a jewel encrusted pimp cup for your purple drank.

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    You just won Talkbass in my book! Don't forget his number, 281-330-8004 :D

*edit* Just listened to that song again for the first time in years. No lie, it has some SICK bass tone!

17. Score! There's $50.19 waiting for me in California!

18. Hello Mike from WA - I got $50 back from NAUPA from an overcharge from the DMV - no surprise there, but $50 extra bucks was cool.

19. Dang. No money for me or the immediate family pod, but my little brother is owed $200 from his last job and my MIL is owed $7 from overpaid insurance premiums back in the 90s!