Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underwood manual

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by sven.leeuwen, Jun 22, 2004.

1. sven.leeuwen

sven.leeuwen

Jun 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    I came across a second hand Underwood and I want to install it on my DB. I can not seem to find a manual anywhere, can someone help me to one.

Obviously the elements go in the wingslots, what I'd like to know if there is a top/bottem, left right end.

Anyone got a manual?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No manual. They come with instructions printed on a little piece of paper.

I put the long wire (going to the jack) on the E side. The elements fit into the slots firmly, but you don't have to jam them in there. Be REAL careful of the wire where it goes into the elements -- they're REALLY freakin' easy to break. The elements should fit as flat-ly (a word?) as possible to the two surfaces they touch. If the slots are too narrow, open them up (saw on the wing and not the leg) with a flat file, being careful to make a nice, flat surface. If the slots are too big, thin wood shims (thing wood stock is available from your luthier or a hobby shop) are preferred for taking up the slack, but I found the color print ads (like from the Sunday paper) make decent shim as well as the paper doesn't compress much.

How tightly the elements are fit and how far into the slots will change the sound, so you'll have to fool with it a bit.

3. sven.leeuwen

sven.leeuwen

Jun 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Hello Ray,

Thanks for your clear and precice installation guide. Can't wait to install. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Thanks for shedding light.

Sven

4. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Sven:
    I'd be happy to scan my Underwood instruction sheet and e-mail you the PDF file, though Ray covered everything you really need to know.

5. sven.leeuwen

sven.leeuwen

Jun 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Hi AD9000,

I'd be very happy with a scan. Looking forward to receiving it.

Sven

6. I think the picture and instructions indicate the lead coming from the G side, and I've always had mine that way. Prolly don't make no nevermind, tho.

7. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Sven:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to post and run, just was away from my computer the last couple of days. The PDF will be coming at you tomorrow.

Alan