Unexpected "gut" experience...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pat.p, Oct 25, 2005.

1. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    So, after many trials I found the solution...
    The situation didn't look well- last Saturday, when I had a gig, I had to left my "jazz" bass at home, because something was wrong with tuning machine. I took my second bass (hand-made, expensive and used for classical playing) with new set of gut strings and installed an old BP-100.
    A little bit nervous, I plug it directly into my GK and... it was THE BEST SOUND I'VE EVER HEARD FROM MY BASS!
    The sound was great- round, warm with low end, definition and clarity...
    You know, I spent a lot of money, bought Realist, Helicore strings, and- finally- Stat-B.
    It's funny, that finally I found THE sound with Fishman, no preamp and with GK MBS (eq knobs set at 12, gain 9-10 o'clock, volume at 9 o'clock)- I had no problem with volume!
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was just thinking that an :

"Unexpected "gut" experience..."

...was when you realised that part of your anatomy was getting between you and the bass!! ;)
  3. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    :D :D It was a little bit like that...
  4. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I love to hear stories like this that make one question the what & why of life - or at least gear acquisition. Nice story. You must have been shocked and thrilled. What a feeling.....

By the way, I'm a tad pole myself (on my Mother's side).
  5. Thanks for passing this along. I'm curious, given that you had no feedback problems -- how loud a gig was it? What type of band and music was being played?
  6. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Although it was quite low volume gig (quartet with tenor sax) it was first time when sax player told me to low down volume...
    I think the sound of gut strings is much more warmer and relatively felt as "louder"...
    When I set volume and gain at 12 o'clock i had to use -14db pad...
    No feedback problems, my bass sounded great. I put the amp high- on my head level.
  7. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The Stat-B is too finicky. The sound is not growing on me.

I know that I originally recommended it to you (pat.p) in another thread, but since then I've been feeling a bit of buyer's regret.

To be completely honest, pretty soon I might pick up an Underwood and be done with the fuss. The Fishman isn't as good IMO but both cheap pickups at least cut through. And no more of the bizarre frequency response with Schertler products. I can deal with rolling the treble down on an Underwood, but the weird-ass midrange of the Stat-B is starting to annoy me.
  8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    May I ask which brand of gut strings do you use?

9. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Tbeers...what do you mean by "bizarre frequency response" and "weird-ass midrange of the Stat-B?" On my bass (New Standard Cleveland ply with Spiros or Jazzers) it's got the most even frequency response (and is easiest to EQ) out of all the pickups I've tried--Realist, BassMax, Underwood, Rev Solo (plus Barbera on my Messenger EUB). Mounting pressure/location makes a huge diff with the Stat--midrange can get funky if it's too tight. Not challenging your experience, just sharing mine.

Funny, though...similar to pat.p I'm finding that my favorite pickup so far for this bass is the Underwood which tends to get a bad rap. It has a certain synergy with my instrument. This bass has tons of low end acoustically so the mid/high emphasis of the Underwood complements it nicely. Unlike so many other people, I find that the 'wood works best for me with both elements inserted.

There is some phase/frequency cancellation but it magically happens at the frequencies where low rumble/feedback and arco screech occur...yes, Virginia... I said good arco tone (and no huge volume jump) with steel strings and an Underwood! Also I find the 2-element design gives noticeably better string-to string balance than the single ones. Just IME on my bass.
  11. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My big issue with the Stat-B is in the high midrange. I can't get the open G string to sound normal through any amount of EQ. I play it and it's fine at first, then there's this mysterious swell of amplified noise. It's almost impossible to explain, but it almost sounds as though the G isn't amplified until a moment after I've plucked the string, and then it swells in a bizarre way.

I'd rather have an even sound....