1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Univox - how much should I offer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. DJS

DJS

Feb 10, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    A friend from work stumbled across this amp/cabinet a while ago. He bought a Framus bass for $75 and the guy threw in the amp/cab for free.

[​IMG]

It's not pretty, with a warped grille, some small tears, lots of grey in the brittle tolex, etc. But it plays quite well, with no apparent mechanical/electrical issues whatsoever.

From what I have read, it's Japanese made, and is about 50 watts on a good day despite the 100 watt claim. It has 2 6L6 tubes, and three preamp tubes. (12ax7s?)The cabinet is 2x12, and has some original custom drivers with shiny dust caps.

He dropped it off at my house a few days ago and said "Make me an offer."

I want to be fair. It's fun. It sounds great, albeit not very powerful. I don't really need it, although the idea of tinkering with a tube sound is very appealing to me.

What should I offer him? Any thoughts?

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    See if he'll take $75 and tell him he got a free framus.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd start at a hundy and work from there ;) I really don't know what the going rate on old Univox tube amps are (BTW, even 50w with two 6L6's is pushing it), but they're not exactly B-15's, so personally the absolute highest I'd do is around $200.

4. get 60W from a pair of gc's

i'd offer your mate the $75 dollars and say hes breaking your balls

5. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    tumblr_ltf347xN0X1r0uc29o1_500.

6. DJS

DJS

Feb 10, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    OK. Thanks. Maybe I'll take it to my next band practice just for laughs. He's letting me keep it for a couple weeks. No - it's certainly not a B-15.

7. It likely needs to be recapped, so it may not sound or perform at its best.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    In a Univox? Probably not ;)

9. DJS

DJS

Feb 10, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    So how less useful is this amp, then say a Lil' Bastard or Tiny Terror? Any thoughts?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'd say it's likely about the same usefulness level, although that's without hearing one in over 30 years. I would certainly like to have it just for fun, that's for sure.