1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unusual Rock Trivia?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aberdumbie, Mar 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Bassist extraordinaire Andy West of Dixie Dregs and other projects, has simultaneously pursued a career in the computer software industry while continuing to work in music. The Dregs recently did a reunion tour with all of the original recording members. Andy currently works as a vice president for Analytics and Adaptive Learning at Pearson Education.

2. George Harrison, Klaus Voorman, Jim Karstien, Jim Keltner, Carol King, Nicky Hopkins, Tom Scott, Billy Preston , The Blossoms, Michelle Phillips, and Ronnie Spector all appear on "Basketball Jones" by Cheech and Chong.

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Nick Jameson is an American actor, voice actor, singer, songwriter, composer, musician, and record producer. Early on, he was a member of The American Dream, a Philadelphia band whose debut album was Todd Rundgren's first production credit.

More prominent success soon followed when he briefly became the unofficial fourth member of the British blues-rock band Foghat, producing several of their albums as well, including Fool For The City, which spawned the band's biggest hit "Slow Ride." Nick's bass-playing is prominently featured on this track as well as the rest of the album. He has also released a couple of solo albums.

Nick has many acting credits including many cartoon and video game voices and his portrayal of Russian president Yuri Suvarov over three seasons on the show 24.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Novarocker and MonetBass like this.
  4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Uh, I hate to nitpick, but it's actually "Bassaball Jones.";):laugh:

Novarocker and 5StringBlues like this.

5. My caucasianinitty has foiled me once again!

;)

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I never realized that until you just mentioned it. HA, HA! :laugh:

Novarocker and FilterFunk like this.
  7. Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Novarocker likes this.
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    This isn't trivia; but, it is an unusual rock thing that happened to me.

Most people remember where they were when they heard that Elvis Presley died (August 16, 1977) and when John Lennon died (December 8, 1980).

For me, I was doing the exact same thing at the same place when I heard both Elvis and John died. I was working in the evening at a small business called Gipe Brothers Printing Company in Johnstown, PA doing type setting running a Linotype machine and doing hand set type. I always had the radio on when I was working and the DJ announced their deaths.

9. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Wasn't even a thought in my parents head yet, but that must have been something! I still remember the days I heard Bowie, Petty, and Lemmy died. Sad days indeed, just glad that the music will be around for hopefully forever. All amazing in their own way.

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The Who have the distinction of having four of their different songs as the theme songs for four different CSI TV Shows.

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - Who Are You

CSI: Miami - Won't Get Fooled Again

CSI: New York - Baba O'Reilly

CSI: Cyber - I Can Se For Miles

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Although there were earlier publicity stunts involving records sprayed with gold lacquer, the actual award recognized today as a Gold Record was first awarded to Perry Como in 1958 for his recording of "Catch a Falling Star".

12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Henry Paul was an original member of The Outlaws and has the distinction of starting three successful bands. He has left and returned to The Outlaws a few times and tours with the band today. He left The Outlaws to form The Henry Paul Band in the late 1970s and released several albums and singles including the song "Grey Ghost". He founded the country band BlackHawk in 1992 with Dave Robbins and Van Stephenson and the band had a long string of country hits. Robbins and Stephenson had co-written several #1 singles for the country band Restless Heart. Stephenson had a few solo hits including the song "Modern Day Delilah" in 1984. Stephenson passed away in 2001. BlackHawk has continued on with Paul and Robbins to this day.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  13. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Eel Pie Island in London's River Thames was the site of the Eel Pie Island Hotel. The Rolling Stones, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, the Who, and the Yardbirds performed there. After the building was renamed Colonel Barefoot's Rock Garden, Black Sabbath, Genesis, and Hawkwind (as Hawkwind Zoo) played there. The island attracted a large hippy commune, but the hotel burned down in 1971.

GregC and Novarocker like this.
  14. Very early in his career, Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull was so poor that he stretched cans of Irish stew with dog food.

"That was a very miserable winter… I ate dog food. I used to bulk out a can of Irish stew, which cost about sixpence, with Spillers Shapes, a chewy, biscuity dog food. You could make a can of stew last three or four days with Spillers Shapes. It was all rather sad."
    Jethro Tull rocker Ian Anderson ate dog food to survive

15. To me anyway, The Outlaws "Ghost Riders in the Sky" has one of the coolest basslines ever. I find my self hitting replay on that song all the time when it comes up in rotation on my phone, just to hear the bass line again. I did a few shows with Blackhawk back in the days of being on a sound crew. Loved that band too.

I just gagged a bit...

BnB

Novarocker and Richland123 like this.
  16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Drummers who have been the only constant member of a band.

Nick Mason is the only Pink Floyd member to have been featured on all of their studio albums, and was the only constant member of the band since its formation in 1965.

Ian Paice is the drummer and only constant original member of the band Deep Purple.

Jerry Shirley is a drummer for Humble Pie, appearing on all their albums. However, he left the band for a time to play with Fastway and Waysted and then reformed Humble Pie.

Roger Earl is a drummer for Foghat. A founding member, he is the only member to have performed with the band throughout all of its various incarnations.

Mick Fleetwood is the only member of Fleetwood Mac to have played with every lineup. Even though the band name was a combination of Fleetwood's last name and John McVie's last name, McVie was not in the original lineup but joined shortly after the band was formed to replace short time bass guitarist Bob Brunning, who did play on one song, "Long Grey Mare", on their debut album. McVie and Fleetwood are the only two members of the group to appear on every Fleetwood Mac release.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  17. Amano

Amano

May 5, 2015
    Planet earth
    Brian Downey was a constant member with Thin Lizzy. Brian Downey also played with their reunion/tribute concert in 2005. And still continue to play Thin Lizzy songs in his band "Brian Downey Alive And Dangerous".

18. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Model, Actress, and film producer Lisanne Falk was a 15 year old model when she appeared on the Foreigner Head Games album cover. She has appeared in many movies including she was Heather McNamara in the 1988 movie Heathers with Kim Walker, Shannen Doherty, and Winona Ryder, and Christian Slater.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Neil Young is still a 20% owner in Lionel, LLC model train company. Guggenheim Partners, a global investment and advisory financial services firm owns the other 80% of the company.

Bob_Ross, GregC, FilterFunk and 3 others like this.
  20. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Honorable mention should be given to Fito De La Parra of Canned Heat; while he was not the original drummer(that would be Frank Cook, who went on to the Pacific Gas and Electric band, and who played only on the first CH album), Fito was there for the “On The Road Again”/“Boogie With Canned Heat” breakthrough, and onward. Surviving Woodstock and an incredible number of band personnel turnovers, including the deaths of founders Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, he has kept the name going continuously for decades.