1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unusual tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by NickTej22, Mar 19, 2013.

1. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Sorry if this is the wrong spot please move.

So I'm joining this band, they said they play in A sharp standard on their 7 strings. So what would my strings be on 5 string? And how can I achieve that on a tuner that only does standard tuning?

2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Essentially they want you to tune down a half step. Even though I don't do this it is a common practice Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb. When you tune up using your tuner fret at the first fret and tune that B, E, A, D, G.

C/S,
    Rev J

3. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Thank you. They said my B string would be A sharp, and my E string would be D sharp and so on.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Yes, that would be one half step down from standard.

With a tuner like yours, you want to find the button that adds a flat to your screen. That will show your B as being sharp, until you tune down to Bb (A#).

5. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Alright yeah, hit the flat button one, then down tube until it shows standard on my tuner?

6. You write “their seven string guitars” and your “5 string bass”. And then they want you to tune a half step LOWER???

What is this band’s opening number called”? Mudslide???
    Is that followed by a cover of "Dark Chocolate Tsuami"? :meh:

7. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    The hell you talking about? This is an established metal band that I'm joining.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The are playing in B flat (not sure why they are calling it A#). Nice key, I approve ;) Flat keys tend to sound better than "straight" keys IMHO.

9. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    That's something I have yet to try, I'm use to playing in C. When I get over my bronchitis or whatever I have I'll mess with my tuner and figure it out.

10. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

Bb is the key you are tuning to... the Key of A# is only theoretical and would have TEN sharps. UGG-LY.

11. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Alright, so using my flat button on my korg ga1 do I hit the flat button one or twice?

I appreciate the help guys, I feel stupid for having to ask lol.

12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Once.

13. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Oh ok. I thought that would be a quarter step Lmao

14. I'd keep my low string tuned to Cb.

15. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Did you used to play Harp?

16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Good one :bassist:

17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nothing strange really. You'll actually enjoy the lower tension when tuning down 1/2 step IME. are you playing cover tunes mostly? If so, I have a tip for successful practising at home.

18. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    No, it's an all original band. I got about 12 songs to learn as a start. Haven't done much because I have bad bronchitis lol.

19. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Okay, Cool. Feel better and best of luck on the new Band.

20. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    these guys already told you the notes. but if i were you id round up about 30 bucks and get a chromatic tuner. theres not really any limitations like what tuning you play in and whether its a bass or guitar. it simply displays the closest note and how far you are from that note. korg makes a great chromatic tuner.