1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used gear from Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baron665, Sep 21, 2010.

1. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I was wondering if anyone has bought something used from guitar center, and had it shipped to a local guitar center or their house. I've never done it, and was wondering on how that works out.

2. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    They can ship to your house no problems. If you don't like it you can return it to a local center.

3. I figure it isn't much different then buying "new" from GC after all the people that play the crap everything there for however long before anyone buys it.

4. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring our spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    My preference is to have them ship to my nearby store. I pay for the item to have this happen. Then, I go to the store to audition the item. If I like, it I take it. If I don't like it, I leave it, walking away with my refund. There's not much drama in this scenario.

5. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    ^^^^Love your tag line - Great advice for all ^^^^

"Music is first: study, practice, perform, listen. Find your voice & tone, be reliable, have fun, be grateful, regardless of gear."

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I've bought a couple of basses from GC Used Gear. Had 'em shipped straight to me at work. One that had problems, I returned to my local GC for a total refund.

7. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    I ordered a used SWR WorkingPro 10 and had it shipped right to my house. Arrived fine, no issues at all.

8. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    I've done it.

Just know that they will give you a full refund for the item, but you are out shipping.

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Their shipping is cheap, too. I normally pay $30 - 35 to ship a bass anywhere. Both basses I got from GC shipped for $20 or less.

And the one that I returned was because it had a problem with the truss rod adjuster that they didn't tell me about. They refunded my ENTIRE purchase price, including shipping.

10. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    You get different stories depending on the store, but in general they will only ship to another store if it's been in stock for awhile. I almost bought one bass that didn't have a case and they told me I'd have to buy a case if I wanted it shipped to me. They also wanted around $55 for shipping (midwest to nh). I ended up buying a different bass from a different store who suggested I buy a cheap case for shipping that I could return for refund from my local store. And they only charged me $20 shipping from CA.
    I guess it varies, but I the bass arrived in great shape as described and I ended up keeping the case because it was decent and only $50.

11. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I haven't personally done it but a friend of mine did and he got a good price on a nice bass.

The used prices are actually comparable and even sometimes better than the ones you'll find on ebay and CL

12. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    When I called to check on a couple of basses, they said they would only send direct to me (not my local store) and that tax and shipping would be added to the listed price.

So for those who've done this - it's easy enough to get a refund if you're unhappy (i.e., no big hassles or arguments)? And if you do get a refund, only thing you lose is the shipping cost?

Another question: Can they be talked down from the listed price?

Appreciate the insights here - I've seen competitive prices at that site recently.

13. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I've bought plenty of items from the used inventory. Ive bought an Aguilar GS112, Korg synth keyboard, Fender Jazz 24 Bass, and just recently a used GK A06 version MB2-500 for $270 that I'm waiting to coming in. I've had no problem with any item not working or being in worse condition than described. I aim to buy things in 4 and 5 star condition. The only item I returned was a Fender 24 Jazz because I didn't like the sound.

14. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I would like to know this as well...

15. I'd say used gear is GC's only positive. They had a used Legend there for about $250 w/case. Played and looked brand new. I'm just a dummy for not taking it :/

16. I ordered an SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10 shipped to my house from another state. Showed up quickly and in great shape. They will not ship to a store.

17. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Depending on how long they have had the item yes they can be talked down. They had a jazz bass I wanted for $600 and they took $500 for it.

They pay nothing for the used gear. Thier pricing policy for buying gear is find out what it is going for use and give you half.

18. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I've bought a couple basses from the used section. Both Bongos now that I think about it. The first one was a little rougher than I thought it was, although they were as honest as they could be with their description... there was unseen damage under the pickguard. Never had a major issue with the process or the items.

19. Can you really return orders to the store?

Their online policy says this:

Online orders can not be returned to Guitar Center locations. They must be shipped to:

Guitar Center
    Returns Door 107 & 108
    4001 NORFLEET
    Kansas, City, MO 64161-9231

Here's the page - it's about 2/3 of the way down:
    http://gc.guitarcenter.com/legal/tac.cfm

20. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think there's maybe a little confusion here. There's 2 different types of used gear on GC's website.

The first you can find through the normal catalog. I think this is gear that people order and receive damaged, non functioning, or beat all to crap and decide they don't like it and send it back after abusing it. They then refurb it and sell it on the web as Used. I live in KC where the distribution center is and they used to liquidate all of this through a clearance center at the distribution center, and I used to get great deals on stuff, but they closed the store and now they do it on the web.

The second is that on GC's website, they have used gear that individual stores buy from customers and then try to resell. So yeah, 2 different beasts, and 2 different policies on how you can and can not buy and how you can and can not return.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021