1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used VB4H Prices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by citizenkoehn, Aug 24, 2012.

1. citizenkoehn

citizenkoehn

Jul 24, 2012
    I know a guy who is selling a V4BH and an SVT410HLF for $900. Assuming everything is in good condition and fully functional, is that a good price? I'm still a newbie on a lot of this stuff, but from what I've been able to find on the internet, it seems pretty fair. I thought I'd get another opinion, though!

Also, I don't really have any experience with tubes. Is there anything I should check out when I look at the setup? What about eventual tube replacement for the V4BH? How often are tubes replaced, and what does that usually cost?

Thank you all!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Is the "H" the newer remake of the old V4? Seems people weren't as fond of those as the originals. Also it doesn't seem like a very good pairing. HLF's play way low but a trade off for doing that is they don't run as loud per watt as some other speakers. Guys I see usually run them with some pretty good size amps to get loud enough. Seems the 100 watter might come up short. If I liked the amp, I'd probably make an offer on that and leave the cab there. Or vice versa, if you like the big, deep cab, get that, then go find a bigger amp to use with it.

Don't buy into the "tubes are unreliable and have to be changed all the time" stuff...it's bunk. It is true that tube consistency isn't what it was in the old days. Militaries and hospitals don't depend on them anymore so they can get away with making them cheaper just for amps and stuff, but, get a good set in there and it will provide many years of good service. Some of the most reliable amps I've had have been tube amps. Played responsibly, they can last for decades. Crank it to 11 every night and they'll wear out fast....just like anything else.