1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using 2 DI boxes for conserts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by paalisol, Jan 26, 2012.

1. paalisol

paalisol

Aug 18, 2011
    Norway
    On my last recording I mixed a clean signal from my Sansamp with a distorted signal from my amp, and really liked the outcome. So my plan now is to try to use 2 DI boxes on stage to mix a clean signal with a effectsignal.

I am setting my pedalboard up like this:

>Ebs MultiComp
    >Sansamp Bass driver (DI to pa/mixer)
    >Boss ge-7
    >Boss od-3
    >Bigg Muff Bass
    >Sansamp gt2
    >Ebs Dphaser
    >Boss ceb-3
    >Boss dd-3
    >Hartke Bass Attack (DI to pa/mixer)

I have just ordered the Hartke bass attack, so I have not had a chance to test it yet. I am thinking of mixing the signals aprox 30% clean (Sansamp) and 70% end signal (Hartke)

From there I am thinking that I have 2 choices:
    A. Send both signals to the PA, and tell the soundman how I would like them mixed
    B. Send both signals to a 2 Chanal mixer, and then one signal from the mixer to the PA (and one to my amp).

I am thinking that option 2 would give me more control of my sound, and be an easier solution.

So what I am asking is:
    1. Does anyone have any axperience with this kind of solution? Anything you see here that wont work out or I should change?

2. Does anyone have a good tip for a 2 chanal mixer that could fit this solution? I looked at the Mackie 402, but if possible I would like it to have a xlr ouput. (and still be small)

2. In my experience, the less of your sound controlled by the soundguy, the better. Just use a mixer to get a sound you like, and send it through one DI. That way you know how it sounds and can control it.

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The FEA 2 CH Mixer would fit this bill. Two inputs. Channel 1 is ALWAYS on. Channel 2 can be turned off/on. Separate boost can affect either 1 or 2, or both.

I stack my bass signal in a similar manner to what you are trying.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Exar Ibex can mix two inputs cleanly, and has an XLR output for the PA, and a 1/4" output to your amp. The only potential issue is the mix is always 50/50, there aren't independent level controls or a blend knob.

IbexTop.

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Another tiny mixer comes from [sfx] in the form of the Mix and the Split&Mix pedal.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I use this:

MultiMix 8 Line Eight-Channel Stereo Line Mixer

Rackmount is a nice feature. Stereo allows you to dedicate L to stage and R to the house. Pans can adjust relative volume of one or the other so your stage mix and house mix can be different.

It's also flexible, because once you go down this path the thought of adding additional preamps might occur to you. You may not use more than two at a time, but you might want to A/B between two different sounds quickly.

The effects chain is also a nice feature. Now it's no longer a case of all or nothing for effecting either tone.

7. paalisol

paalisol

Aug 18, 2011
    Norway