1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a 10k potentiometer in a passive bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeyBigZam, Jan 8, 2018.

1. HeyBigZam

HeyBigZam

Jun 21, 2017
    I have a passive early 90's Peavey Fury with a shot tone pot. I'll likely get a new 250k one soon, but I have a spare 10k audio taper pot. I know this would be more typical to an active bass, but what would it sound like if I installed it in the Peavey? Would it simply sound very dull and dead? Replies are appreciated.

2. Those pots are used in active basses, where the impedance of the signal is very low. Trying to run a high impedance signal through that pot will bleed almost all of the output to ground, leaving you with little to no sound.

For the record, if you did it the other way around and used a 250k pot with a low impedance signal, then the result would be an on/off switch, where the pot instantly kills off the signal when you roll back a hair, and then does nothing for the rest of the rotation. This is why we use different resistances for different applications.

Conkal and HeyBigZam like this.
  3. HeyBigZam

HeyBigZam

Jun 21, 2017
    Ah, thank you. That was very informative. I'll just put a 250k in it. I appreciate your answer.