Using a compressor with Boss LS2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndyMaidens, Jan 21, 2017.

1. AndyMaidens

AndyMaidens

Jun 6, 2016
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm dumb. I've just bought the diamond BCP1 compressor, and I'm not sure where to place it with my LS2 in the chain?

Attached Files:

BadExample likes this.
  2. Um...not sure how you plan on setting it all up, but this is how i would have done it.
    Comp, first.
    Or.
    Place ls-2 first, then put comp in one loop. Use it(ls-2) in mix-mode and you now have second loop with uneffeced tone.
    But then you might want the muff in one loop also, so try things out.

3. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Tuner out to ls2 input/A return for your clean tone.
    Send B to comp input, comp output to return B for your comp/affected tone. Ls2 output to the rest of your chain. Put the ls2 in a/b mix mode, adjust volumes of each and away you go.

Ps. I would personally blend the muff too because I find that in dry mode the clean signal is too loud. Therefore put muff in norm mode. Go comp out to muff input, muff effect out to ls2 b return, have the A/clean volume at 10-11 o'Clock and B/affected at 12 o'Clock.
    It may seem complicated but once you understand it its rather simple. Enjoy the most important pedal you will ever own.

4. PotatoSoup

PotatoSoup

Mar 5, 2016
    I'd have thought that either it'd go totally before the ls2 or totally after, not in either of the loops. That is, unless, the purpose of the compressor is to take out the peaks and valleys of a particularly volatile pedal. I'm not sure the overall tonal ramifications of compressing "half" of your signal path.

5. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Take ls2 off. Start with tuner, into comp, into fuzz, into octave, into chorus, into amp.

6. How are you currently using your LS2?

7. Yes, that is the most important question here.

Jonny_Orange likes this.
  8. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Clean blend on comp works really well. Adds some character back into your tone. I love the blend on my seymour duncan studio bass and wouldn't get another comp without clean blend. (Mind you I have never experience a super high quality comp which may be transparent enough to maintain all the original character of the bass.) Whenever I have tried comps with no blend it just loses something and sounds bland.

Mr. voodoobass likes this.
  9. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I put the compressor in loop A, and all the dirt in loop B. I mix a distorted signal with a clean light compress signal.
    usually the dynamics of clean and distortion is very different, so i adjust the compressor to give a tight bottom with slight compression so both signals match better for blending.
    Sounds great to me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Mr. voodoobass and Driven Crane like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021